PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Illustrated anti Patriots Bias on Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewssix

On the Roster
Reaction score
I know this doesn't surprise anyone, but take a look at this headline!

"Week 3 NFL Hangover: Are the Bengals our last hope to stop the Patriots?"

And here are a few quotes:

“We cannot obtain the victory ... over evil and the devil by halves.” — Pope Francis (possibly talking about the Patriots)

"Because Belichick looks and acts and talks and dresses like someone who takes pleasure in beating others".

Of course this is an article searching for another team that they hope can take down the Patriots, and Sports Illustrated decided to go with Andy Dalton. :)

http://www.si.com/cauldron/2015/09/28/nfl-week-3-bengals-patriots-undefeated?xid=si_social

The depths of desperation know no bounds.

You do realize that the column you're referring to is supposed to be snarky, right? I mean, it contains passages like:

What cruel irony that the soul of the NFL hinges on the postseason performance of Andy Dalton, a man with no soul. Pray for America.

Bruce Arians is the nice neighbor that shocks everyone when the police find 20 bodies buried in his backyard. And that’s what makes him far more interesting than Bill Belichick. Arians' bloodlust is unexpected. He is the fresh, positive face of psychopathy the NFL so desperately needed.

Last edited:
I don't think 'Sports Illustrated' decided anything. That appears to be a goofy article by a goofy writer who appears to specialize in writing goofy crap.

F them no clicks for you!

Yes, obviously, to an extent it's snarky. I'm sure Arians doesn't have bodies in his backyard. But here is a response from a Sports Illustrated writer telling Jerry Thornton he's going to look in to the headline.

Jerry Thornton ‏@jerrythornton1 2h2 hours ago

Jerry Thornton retweeted Andy Gray

We are counting on you to come through for us. Don't make me come down there, SI... https://twitter.com/AndyGray35/status/648557251330969600…

Jerry Thornton added,

Andy Gray @AndyGray35
@jerrythornton1 I'm defending the wall here at SI and will immediately speak with our social media team about this ESPN-esque tease.

1 retweet 16 favorites

Yes, obviously, to an extent it's snarky. I'm sure Arians doesn't have bodies in his backyard. But here is a response from a Sports Illustrated writer telling Jerry Thornton he's going to look in to the headline.

Jerry Thornton ‏@jerrythornton1 2h2 hours ago

Jerry Thornton retweeted Andy Gray

We are counting on you to come through for us. Don't make me come down there, SI... https://twitter.com/AndyGray35/status/648557251330969600…

Jerry Thornton added,

Andy Gray @AndyGray35
@jerrythornton1 I'm defending the wall here at SI and will immediately speak with our social media team about this ESPN-esque tease.

1 retweet 16 favorites

You've got to love the dig at ESPN..... Well played, Mr. Gray.

The Onion parodies the Patriots all the time by portraying them as a literal force of malevolent evil and it's funny as hell. Calm down a bit.

Well, I would think a smiley face at the end of my post, indicates I don't really need to calm down, I found the writer turning to Dalton humorous. The issue is that from The Onion, you expect this stuff. I didn't realize Sports Illustrated was now The Onion. They used to be a respected publication. It just seems like every website, publication etc. takes little shots at the Patriots and I thought I'd point out it was another one piling on.

It just seems like every website, publication etc. takes little shots at the Patriots and I thought I'd point out it was another one piling on.

Again... it's a snarky column, and that's what you should be expecting going in. If you'd read further, as I noted, you'd have seen the guy talking about Arians having 20 bodies buried in his back yard.

Hell the ginger having no soul should should have been all the tipoff you needed.

The Pats have made it. They are the Evil Empire. Almost want to shed a tear in joy.

Plus, the author is DJ Gallo which should immediately clue you in that it's going to be a snarky, at most semi-serious piece.

I love the article

it is right in line with the mantra I've been carrying since training camp
rambo-shooting-computers-o.gif

I thought it was funny and takes shots at all teams. I am a fan of his NFL Hangover articles.

From the opening use of the quote of Pope Francis to the concluding description of Bruce Arians as "...the fresh, positive face of psychopathy the NFL so desperately needed" (in contrast to BB), this article was "tongue in cheek," "snarky," "funny."

To those of you who are bent out of shape over it, take the advice of hOc2000 above and "shed a tear of joy." The Patriots have succeeded in driving the rest of the NFL and its fans out of their collective minds with impotent rage. Just enjoy it!

I don't think 'Sports Illustrated' decided anything. That appears to be a goofy article by a goofy writer who appears to specialize in writing goofy crap.
I can only hope that someday, someone describes me this way. #lifegoal :D

Oh...and just an afterthought...weren't the Bengals supposed to be the ones to deliver the finishing blow to the Patriots last year after the KC game? I'm sure they're looking forward to returning to Gillette in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back