PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Hernia?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewwho

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
OK, not trying to start something here, but did anyone else hear that Brady has a sports hernia? I read it on another site and it was allegedly reported by ESPN as the reason he is not playing in the Probowl.

Anyone..anyone?????

Drewwho said:
OK, not trying to start something here, but did anyone else hear that Brady has a sports hernia? I read it on another site and it was allegedly reported by ESPN as the reason he is not playing in the Probowl.

Anyone..anyone?????
got a link to the espn story?

I know this to be true and knew about it back in November. I decided to say nothing as my information came from a friend of a trainer, but is quite accurate and very much true. FWIW, he will be just fine when he starts training again.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a regualr hernia and a sports hernia? I've been wondering about it since McNabb's injury.

McNabb's injury after surgery was said to be an 8 week thing so even if surgery is required, fgssand's comment seems correct.

If I had a link I would post it. I'm not one to start rumors. Just what I had heard from another board and apparently it was mentioned on ESPN.

If it were true, I would think the papers would have said something as it is significant.

If that is true, it proves again that Brady is a tough SOB. This is very painful and when you get hit it's extremely painful.
I saw no signs from Tom that he was in that type of pain. Doesn't mean that he did not have it.

There is a mention as item #3 by Peter King.

PATSNUTme said:
If that is true, it proves again that Brady is a tough SOB. This is very painful and when you get hit it's extremely painful.
I saw no signs from Tom that he was in that type of pain. Doesn't mean that he did not have it.

I can't believe he had the courage to struggle on after he pulled his groin....

It must have flared up while he was chasing Champ Bailey. Didn't look like he was in a full out sprint.

Another insignificant troll gets shrunk down in that ignor listing. Even then such wasted space! What's ya say Ian?

PATSNUTme said:

I can't speak from the perspective of a pro-athelete nor Tom's situation, but having a congential hernia diagonosed and corrected as a "sports hernia" I don't view this as an exceptionally serious issue

Certainly having your intestines slipping out in a hole in your abdominal wall certainly causes periods of discomfort - sometimes its a little and sometimes its a lot.

Clearly in McNabb's case it got to be the latter. But the surgery couldn't be more straightforward, inserting a bio-mesh that is eventually replaced by tissue.

Its not an injury that I believe is recurring and in the end you have a stronger abdominal wall than you did before, as there are lot of people - athletes and non-atheletes alike, who are prone to such hernias.

I'd guess that Tom will take it easy for 1 week after surgery - and be walking around like he normal after that, and completely recovered and ready for the football field even before the draft!

PATSNUTme said:

And the legend grows....

To my understanding (and I was at a Holiday Inn last week), is that a sports hernia isn't an actual hernia, i.e. your intestines leaking into your ball-bag. A "sports hernia" is a weakening in the front wall of the stomach. Usually they can be treated with minor surgery.

Last edited:
I've had a stomach hernia and even though it cause chest pain and upset, it's nothing like a "sports hernia". I'm sure that there are different degrees but my understanding is that it, a sports hernia, is very painful when moving the wrong way or getting hit.

I am surprised the McNabb was able to play as long as he did with it.

I guess we don't know when Tom got his, if he does indeed have it. Was it during the Denver game? Prior to that?

PATSNUTme said:
I've had a stomach hernia and even though it cause chest pain and upset, it's nothing like a "sports hernia". I'm sure that there are different degrees but my understanding is that it, a sports hernia, is very painful when moving the wrong way or getting hit.

I am surprised the McNabb was able to play as long as he did with it.

I guess we don't know when Tom got his, if he does indeed have it. Was it during the Denver game? Prior to that?

I found out about it just before the Dec home Jets game - 12/4/05. He may have suffered it before then, but it was at least dunring the week leading up to that game that I received my information. Again, I did not think it was right to report third hand information on here, although it did turn out to be 100% accurate afterall.

dryheat44 said:
And the legend grows....

To my understanding (and I was at a Holiday Inn last week), is that a sports hernia isn't an actual hernia, i.e. your intestines leaking into your ball-bag. A "sports hernia" is a weakening in the front wall of the stomach. Usually they can be treated with minor surgery.

I have one right now...Sometimes it hurts if I bump it, but most of the time I don't notice it. It's turned my inny bellybutton to an outty. It looks bad though...

fgssand said:
I found out about it just before the Dec home Jets game - 12/4/05. He may have suffered it before then, but it was at least dunring the week leading up to that game that I received my information. Again, I did not think it was right to report third hand information on here, although it did turn out to be 100% accurate afterall.

I believe you when you say you knew and applaud you for keeping it to yourself.

A lot of people would have loved to look like a hot shot around here touting their inside knowledge, but obviously you were smart enough to know you had inside information that could have:

1.) backfired on the person who told you and
2.) Potentially been used against the Patriots

Bravo for keeping that to yourself!

JoeSixPat said:
I believe you when you say you knew and applaud you for keeping it to yourself.

A lot of people would have loved to look like a hot shot around here touting their inside knowledge, but obviously you were smart enough to know you had inside information that could have:

1.) backfired on the person who told you and
2.) Potentially been used against the Patriots

Bravo for keeping that to yourself!
:agree: !!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes