PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports guy's take on Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUPatsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Here's what Bill Simmons had to say about Branch. Its pretty much what pats fans have been saying all along. Sure he may be a Pats fans, but I think he always puts things in good perspective for all teams. He was dead on about Art Shell a week ago. The rest of the article is really good as well. Heres the link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060915

Seattle made one of the all-time panic trades, barely beating the Lions in Detroit, then panicking and ponying up an unprotected No. 1 for Deion Branch 24 hours later. Now, I like Deion Branch. Great teammate, great guy, came through in some big playoff games. But he's a possession receiver, rarely makes big plays (only five TDs last year) and dropped a surprising amount of balls last year. He's a slightly better, younger version of Bobby Engram ... who's already on the Seahawks. Since when did teams start trading No. 1's for possession receivers? Why would Seattle think it's a good idea to shell out a No. 1 pick, a No. 3 pick and $18 million in guaranteed bonuses to two non-No. 1 receivers (Nate Burleson and Deion Branch) when it could have used that money to re-sign Steve Hutchinson, saved the picks and gone with some patchwork guys? It's like Isiah Thomas took over the team.

(As for the Patriots, apparently their season is over because they don't have an elite receiver anymore ... even though they won the Super Bowl five years ago with Troy Brown and David Patten as the starters and Fred Coleman as the No. 3 guy. Gimme a break. I wrote last week that I would have taken a No. 2 for Branch and been done with it. Getting a No. 1 was gravy. He was valuable, but he wasn't invaluable. There's a difference.)

He picked the Jets over the Pats this week. Not sure we should listen to him.

Hoodie said:

Personally, I'm getting really nervous about this game, I so want the Pats to crush the Jets.

I totally agree with the Sports Guy.

I also believe the jetssuck game could be a real tough one. I expect the Pats to win (I always do!!) but they need to do better than week one or it won't happen.

I'm not panicking at all. One bad game does not ruin a season, and the Pats we saw last Sunday are not the Pats we'll see this Sunday -- I'm sure. The Pats know they can do better, and they WILL!!!

I'm looking for at least 200 yds on the ground!!!!!

patsacolachick said:
Personally, I'm getting really nervous about this game, I so want the Pats to crush the Jets.

I am getting a tad nervous as well. Jeez, Sunday afternoon can't come fast enough.

You are girly men.
We will beat the Jets 27-17

Hoodie said:

He also picked the Pats to go to the superbowl in a previous column. Remember, he's picking against the spread, so he just might think the Pats won't cover the 6 points, which is understandable.

Jets are a different team with Pennington in there. I think the Patriots will win because the Jets running game is in far worse shape than our passing game but it won't be a blow out. I hate the Jets more than any team but Pennington is the most accurate QB in the league on passes under 15 yards for my money. He'll always be dangerous when his rotator cuffs aren't shredded.

i am also getting nervous but not because i am scared of the jets. I always get nervous the friday before a Pats game. ALthough its not really nervous, its more like frustation that it isnt sunday yet.

Nah, he actually does pick the Jets to win 16-13, and he predicts there will be massive panicking on WEEI afterwards. I don't think this indicates he feels the team is doomed for the year, however.

I think every NFL game is tough, and this one will be no different. However, I am still confident we can win. I don't know about win big, but we don't usually win that way anyhow. I'll just take an improved performance and any kind of win.

PatsWickedPissah said:
You are girly men.
We will beat the Jets 27-17

Try 37-17...Jets cannot run or stop the run. We do both quite well. Pats in a laugher!!

I seriously do not think I can tolerate another week of Pats doubters in WEEI and on ESPNRadio. I might need to leave the state if the Pats don't win.

FYI -- I'm not a girly man. I'm a girly girl :p

The Patriots played very good defensively last Sunday. Brady didn't play too well. Has he ever played badly two weeks in a row? I see another good performance on the defensive side of the ball with the RB's getting their yardage and Brady being brilliant. Having said that, its not going to be too close.

Brady will have 66.7% more wide receivers in the game than he had last week.

The Patriots pass rush numbers were amazing last week. If they keep up that pace, it will keep them in almost any game.

Johnny Z said:
The Patriots pass rush numbers were amazing last week. If they keep up that pace, it will keep them in almost any game.

This is a case of the numbers not being totally accurate. They had some good rushes, and got to Losman a few times in the second half, but the pressure was inconsistent. Losman was just as, if not more, likely to hvae 4-5 seconds and still not have anyone near him as he was to get pressure in 3 seconds.

It was good, but for a pass rush to be as good as the numbers suggested, it needs to be more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down