SportingNews: NE Selects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Quentin Groves
OLB, Auburn

Strengths: Is an elite athlete with rare quickness, speed and explosiveness. Flashes the strength and hands to jolt offensive tackles and drive them into a quarterback's lap. When left unblocked on the backside, bursts down the line and closes fast to make tackles. Consistently defeats blocks from tight ends and running backs. Is more productive as a pass rusher from a two-point stance (like a linebacker) and from a wide alignment. Shows the agility to hurdle cut blocks without slowing ... Full analysis

I know they list NE's pick as "Round 1, Pick 7", but maybe their thinking his selection will come with a trade down (as I've suggested)? In any case I think Groves would be a great LB for NE, and I wonder if more websites/NFL sources will start singing a similar tune...

Last edited:
No way on Groves IMO. I haven't seen him that much, but from what I have seen, he's a pure speed around the edge guy. Just uses his speed to get around the edge every play, little hand play and leverage technique - not a good fit in our D.

If we go that route, either of Long or Gholston would be a better pick as they are much more physical players - I doubt we draft either though (although I love Long as a player) - I don't think BB finds much value in a conversion project. If we do go that way, however, I think Derrick Harvey might be a better fit, IMO.

No way on Groves IMO. I haven't seen him that much, but from what I have seen, he's a pure speed around the edge guy. Just uses his speed to get around the edge every play, little hand play and leverage technique - not a good fit in our D.

If we go that route, either of Long or Gholston would be a better pick as they are much more physical players - I doubt we draft either though (although I love Long as a player) - I don't think BB finds much value in a conversion project. If we do go that way, however, I think Derrick Harvey might be a better fit, IMO.

Agree completely, I'm not sure he's a great fit at all for the Patriots system, since as you suggest he's kind of a one-trick pony.

Like another Shawn LIGHTS OFF Merriman? anyone? lol

Having seen these guys play a few times each, I would have to disagree.

To play OLB you also must be able to play in space and have decent lateral agility also, not just rush the passer.

IMHO Chris Long looks like he should be a 4-3 DE.
Gholston could convert to OLB, but I think he would take longer than Groves.
Groves actually had playing time as OLB, His conversion time may be considerably shorter.

And the other major reason I think it could be Groves...
The Pats will trade back out of #7, Long & Gholston will be off the board when they pick.
Groves is more of a late 1st pick.

Barry

Agree completely, I'm not sure he's a great fit at all for the Patriots system, since as you suggest he's kind of a one-trick pony.

Actually, I think you're both sporting a false impression of Groves.

He's not a one trick pony, and doesn't simply use his speed to get around the edge. He has different moves and tech that he employs.

Just a quick overview: Gets good arm extension...sheds blocks well...fast to locate the ball...good range and pursuit...keeps contain...hard hitter...reliable open field tackler...relentless...good leg drive...has shown an ability to collapse the pocket...usually takes good angles...has a high motor...emotional, and intelligent.

Yea, he's very fast (legit 4.43 forty) for a player of his size (6'3" 250lbs) and position, but That Sporting News scouting report (In the OP) sounds a lot more like what I've seen (throughout his career), and it actually echoes some of the comments I've made on this message board the past few months. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the fans on here hardly even watched him play this season (he is in the SEC). And, if you did watch him play it was likely after he dislocated his toes.

Last edited:
If we have an offense in 3rd and long, then I would love to see Groves in a Pats uniform at OLB. However how are we going to get an opposing offense in 3rd and long with Groves on the field?

He is extremely uninterested in defending the run, unless he can chase it down from the backside.

In 2007, when teams have run on the Patriots, it has usually been off tackle. Especially after Colvin got hurt.

Now let's say it is November 2008 and Colvin goes down again. Who would you rather see us take at #7 to take his place: (PS: Also assume the Seau and/or Bruschi has retired and moving Thomas to the outside is not an option.)

a.) Gholston
b.) Groves
c.) Harvey of Florida

Ali Highsmith from LSU.

If we have an offense in 3rd and long, then I would love to see Groves in a Pats uniform at OLB. However how are we going to get an opposing offense in 3rd and long with Groves on the field?

He is extremely uninterested in defending the run, unless he can chase it down from the backside.

In 2007, when teams have run on the Patriots, it has usually been off tackle. Especially after Colvin got hurt.

Now let's say it is November 2008 and Colvin goes down again. Who would you rather see us take at #7 to take his place: (PS: Also assume the Seau and/or Bruschi has retired and moving Thomas to the outside is not an option.)

a.) Gholston
b.) Groves
c.) Harvey of Florida

Possibly like a few other posters you're somewhat confused? I'm talking about taking Groves with a trade down, not at 7th overall. From what I've seen to date I wouldn't want to draft Gholston that high either. He's too raw.

Also, I've seen Groves take on blockers at the point, and meet RB's in the hole. He's better against the run than you claim, as most accurate scouting reports will tell you. Even though he was injured in the Bowl game one of the few plays he made was against the run, where he fought through blocks to meet the RB at the point.

Read his Sporting News, Scouts Inc, and other reports. The same things I've said about him are in those reports, and I obtained my opinions from watching him multiple times over his college career. I point this out so you'll realize I go with my own opinion first, and only read those scouting reports to see where my opinion stacks up in comparison. Sometimes I disagree about a particular player, and end up being correct (like the time I argued with Kiper about Maroney), but like everyone I've also been wrong!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he does in the pros, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down