4. Mat Light, Patriots:rocker:
5. Marcus McNeill, Chargers

By Team as an Ot's unit, the top 5 are:

1. Colts
2.Cincy
3 Chargers
4 Patriots :rocker:
5.Ravens

Pretty much a team Who's-Who of the AFC East, with the order slightly changed.

I would take McNeil, Khalif Barnes of Jax, and possibly Jason Peters of Buffalo, ahead of Light.

With Brady attempting as many as 500 passes this year, pass protection is vital, and Light must remain healthy and strong all year long.

I thnk Ogden and Glenn get away with an awful lot of holding for two top tackles. Don't know how it compares to the rest of the league, but I know they get away with murder sometimes.

Based on McNeill's job on Seymour in the Divisonal Round this year, I'd slide him a little farther up that list. This is basically the Pro Bowl ballot with McNeill slid down to 5th, so I wonder if this isn't based on old performance, instead of how the player projects for this year.

Didn't McNeill play with two broken hands last season? I'd put him farther up the list just for that.

Didn't McNeill play with two broken hands last season? I'd put him farther up the list just for that.

He was a rookie last year and did not miss 1 game....

I think people forgot how Merriman got owned by Light. Seymour faces double teams but Merriman is a pure pass rushing OLB and Light owned him.

He was a rookie last year and did not miss 1 game....

I think people forgot how Merriman got owned by Light. Seymour faces double teams but Merriman is a pure pass rushing OLB and Light owned him.

there were questionable calls but he did a good job overall

i would still take quiet a few tackles over him..McNeil should be ahead and Peters over Light imo

It's hard for me to believe Indy has the top line overall.I know they lead the leauge in least sacks allowed but that could be more Manning and his recievers getting the ball out quickly.

McNeill is way, WAY better than Matt Light. I like Light, but good Lord, that's ridiculous.

McNeill is way, WAY better than Matt Light. I like Light, but good Lord, that's ridiculous.
Gotta agree with you. The Pats' system again makes very good players look GREAT in the game. Brady also runs the show with the line above all.

From this weeks sporting news they list the top AFC OT's. The top 5 are:

1. Jon Ogden, Ravens
2. Tarik Glenn, Colts
3. Willie Anderson, Cincy
4. Mat Light, Patriots:rocker:
5. Marcus McNeill, Chargers

By Team as an Ot's unit, the top 5 are:

1. Colts
2.Cincy
3 Chargers
4 Patriots :rocker:
5.Ravens

I would put McNeil and Peters above Light, but it is good to see some Pats Olinemen get some love. I think our line a whole makes a big step up this season.

Peter King thought that McNeill should have been rookie of the year.

I would take Peters over McNeill. That Peters kid was something else last year.

I don't know about that list, but I do know that Light is a very underrated player, especially here. He is the leader of the O-line, has been the only constant through three Superbowls, and is a pretty good player. I was happy to see him make the Pro Bowl last year.

"A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country".

That applys triple to the Pats O-line. Too many people on this board would put the Pat's O-line in the bottom 25% with Light being near the bottom.

I like that they received some recognition.

The Colts great O-line, HOF-caliber receivers, and the fact that they play at least half their games inside every year have had no effect on Peyton Manning's numbers. It's all talent.

But the Pats system and defense are the reason Brady has done anything in this league.

This is how not just internet trolls pretend to believe, but how a lot of the media thinks as well. These are amazing times we live in.

Manning's Numbers?

The Colts great O-line, HOF-caliber receivers, and the fact that they play at least half their games inside every year have had no effect on Peyton Manning's numbers. It's all talent.
But the Pats system and defense are the reason Brady has done anything in this league.
This is how not just internet trolls pretend to believe, but how a lot of the media thinks as well. These are amazing times we live in.

there's no QB on earth who can put up numbers when he's running away from a pass rush. witness ol' peyton's father archie. archie was a fine QB, a little funky, like tom brady. but he was hurt 1/3 of his career, and running away from trouble about 1/4 of the time, because he NEVER played behind a good o-line.
manning's numbers are the result of having had 2 coaches who know how to build around their assets. and i believe his O-coordinator, tom moore, has been with him for at least 5 years. BTW tom moore was a good RB for the colts in the late '60s.
it's not just manning's talent, it's good protection and a system that allows him to USE his talent.

OK, here is the NFC's top 5:

1. Walter Jones, Seattle
2. Orlando Pace, Rams
3.Jon Runyan. Eagles
4. Chris Samuels, Redskins
5. Jamma; Brown, Saints.

A lot of hype and a lot of complaining about Light. The reality is like it usually is somewhere in the middle. Light is not the weakliink that some people think he is, nor is he the 4th best OT in the conference.

I think overall Light takes a bad rap here. He's blamed for every sack even when he's not the reason the sack happened. Let me try and put that into perspective. Last season Tom Brady dropped back to pass more than 500 times (516 to be exact) and NINETY FIVE PERCENT of the time he wasn't sacked (26 sacks) That means the Pats OL was doing a good enough job 95% of the time. That is not bad execution.

Granted sometimes Brady avoided sacks with movement and quick throws, yet on the other hand some of those sacks occurred DESPITE the fact that Brady had a reasonable amount of time and failed to find a receiver. Also some of those sacks can be attributed to RBs failures, etc.

BOTTOM LINE our OL is getting better every year and already does enough to get us into the superbowl. It is talented, young, and DEEP. Next to the DL it is the strength of this team.

Matt Light gave up 7.5 sacks last year. Out of the 26 the team gave up. Kaczur gave up 3 in 11 games. O'Callaghan gave up 4.5 sacks. Koppen gave up 2. Neal gave up 1.5 sacks. Mankins gave up 1.5 sacks.

So, while Light gave up the most on the team, he was better than a lot of people give him credit for. In fact, I think its pretty interesting that the Pats allowed 7.5 sacks off the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back