PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sporting News: Patriots as only 1 of 2 teams given an A+ grade in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right to some degree.....what they do go back and dig up...and rub in your faces of course is the All Pro's that teams "passed up on".....like if I hear one more time how BB passed on Clay Matthews last year and he turned out to be the EXACT PLAYER we are looking for now....I'm going to puke. Yeah....the guy is a beast and he would have been incredible for the Pats.....but lets move on! I am guessing same thing will happen with Ingram and we will have to have that dragged out every year too!!!!

So the message of your post is that we should not mention the lost opportunities of impact players at deep need positions who were there for the taking each year in the draft?

We didn't take Matthews, we didn't take Ingram - - you say you guess Ingram will be the same kind of impact player, however we must simply "move on"?

OK, let's move on.

How about the weather? The Royal Wedding?

Last edited:
The beauty of the Mallett pick is not only did the Pats get a steal, they also kept him away from both the Dolphins and the Bills, who are again, without a franchise QB!

So are the Jets.

2010: 17 TDs/13 INTS, 75.9 QB rating throwing to Dustin Keller, Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards.

BTW: QB Ratings 2010:

Fitzpatrick: 81.8
Sanchez: 75.9
Henne: 75.4

In fact, given the relative talent around each QB, one could easily make the statement that Sanchez performed WORST among the three QB's and that the JETS are the team most in need of a franchise QB in the AFC East.

Last edited:
Now, I suggest you go back and do some more research because this idea that the Pats don't have a pass rush is simply silly. How does a team get 36 sacks if they don't have a pass rush?? How do they get 25 interceptions if they don't have a pass rush??

I'm guessing that you get alot of interceptions when you are constantly on the field because of your inability to get off it. Tom Brady and a record setting offense forcing teams to abandon the run and start throwing the ball might help it out too.

BTW, are you really complaining about a 6th round pick???

Ahhh, that was beautiful!

I'm guessing that you get alot of interceptions when you are constantly on the field because of your inability to get off it. Tom Brady and a record setting offense forcing teams to abandon the run and start throwing the ball might help it out too.

The Pats Defense had 611 pass attempts against (2nd most in the league) them with 388 completions. 63.5% completion rate. Not great. They allowed 25 passing TDs. Again, not great. But we all know there are 2 portions of pass defense. The Pass Rush and then the coverage. And, with the rookies and injuries the Pats had on defense last year, I am not surprised with how things went. The Pats seemed to be very good on 1st and 2nd down and then would allow a drive continuing completion, for whatever the reason. Hence the large number of attempts against.

But the Pats went from allowing 22 Pts per game to allowing only 19 by the end of the season.. That means the defense got better. This is supported by the fact that from week 12 through week 17, the team didn't allow any 400 yard passing games (compared to 8 of 10 games having more than 400 passing yards allowed). Now, I can also admit that the team was helped out by the weather some. But so are any open stadium teams playing in the north during the winter.

I fail to see how this draft has done anything but tread water.

If the Pats had a solid pass rush (think the Steelers) but needed OL help (think the Colts) and RB help (think the Fins) and needed a QB of the future (think the Seahawks), would you feel the same way? I'm inclined to think that if the above combination were true, you would think the Pats absolutely killed the draft. That is the difference between drafting for value/opportunity and drafting for need.

While need is a component of every draft, you never want it to be the primary driver. Given the factors in play (limited/non-existent camp, late free agency, young and deep defense), Belichick executed a deliberate, thoughtful plan. Remember that the safety position (outside of Chung) could need to be reworked next year, Koppen's deal is up end of 2011 and Branch/Welker may need to be replaced as well. Dowling has the potential to be an Ed Reed type safety with the right coaching and the draft next year (extra 1st and 2nd) should be flush with receivers and has an elite center prospect in Brewster from Ohio State with a nice backup target in Jones from Georgia.

Solder over Light is a wash at best for the first year. Anyone else feeling good about having a rookie left tackle protecting the blind side from Rex Ryan’s and **** Labeau's defensive schemes? Say what you want about Light, he has seen it all (remember tackles, unlike guards, have to make line calls, they have to read the defense and tell the TE and the G who they have to block on each play), and a rookie, any rookie, regardless of how gifted he is, is going to get fooled every now and again, and every time that happens, the franchise is in danger.

Totally agree with you. Without a full camp, throwing Solder out there on the left side is too risky. However, you can't always just evaluate a pick by the year 1 impact. If Solder reaches his potential, both tackle positions will be manned by elite players that can handle any individual battle without help. I'm not completely convinced Solder will do that, but keeping Brady clean of outside rushers could keep him as an MVP for many more years.

The Pats got good value for the 28th pick, but they will be lucky if that pick is any lower than 28 again next year. This was not a spectacular draft in terms of depth, so I could see this trade (It would have made more sense IF they had address the pass rush first (or at all).

That Pats traded down, not out. Think of it this way...

Ingram = Vereen + Saints 2012 1st

Now add to the equation either Brewster to continue the OL rebuild (Solder, Connolly/Ohrnberger, Brewster, Cannon, Vollmer) or Justin Blackmon to replace Branch. Looking at it over time makes a difference.

As for the Saints, besides their 2 bye weeks (Panthers), they face an improving division, the AFC South, the NFC North, the improving Rams and the tough Giants. They should make the playoffs and be a threat to make the Super Bowl, but there aren't a lot of gimme games on their schedule.

Another CB? Seriously a first or second round pick, what is it five years in a row? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut (McCourtey) now and then. I don't know why they did not trade this pick, move down a few slots and pick up another pick. Dowling wasn't going anywhere.

Dowling is a DB with the flexibility to play anywhere in the secondary. He should help on 3rd down in 2011 and could be paired with Chung as a starting safety in 2012. Also, there was almost no chance Dowling lasts much longer with the DB-needy teams ahead on the board (Buffalo, Houston, Minnesota, Denver, San Diego, Philly).

I like Vareen; I think he is an excellent fit for the Pats system. I think he too could have gone a little lower, but let's face it; he is a back-up/complimentary player.

Not sure how you define a backup in a RBBC. He should get as many snaps as BJGE and could take some situational snaps from Woodhead. As for being complementary...he would be the only Pats RB that has the speed to attack the edge. If the Pats use him this way (they generally dislike running outside) then defenses will be hesitant to stack the middle to defend Welker and the TEs.

A second RB, Com'on man.

A 2nd RB was needed. Ridley may have been a reach but it is clear the Pats wanted him specifically. The Pats reached the point in the draft where they lost interest in 2011 so it was then or never.

But just when I thought BB had regained his senses:

Lee Smith, TE Marshal?? Is he a TE, are they going to fatten him up and make him a lineman? Is he the new long snapper? Either way, I'm pretty sure he was not on anyone else's draft board for the 5th (or 6th) round.

I liked the Markell Carter pick, hell at least there is a chance that TBC won't start at OLB.

Then ANOTHER CB? I understand that it is the 7th round, so I really don't care, from what I read, this is a Special teams flyer on an athlete.

It should be clear that the Pats were done with the draft at this point. I'm sure he would have traded into 2012 if there were any takers. These guys are STers...with Marshall being the most interesting. Who knows if Crumpler has another year in him (during the lockout nobody is keeping him from his secret twinkie stash) and there is the possibility he could save a roster spot by displacing both Crumpler and Katula.

All and all, wholey unimpressed by the draft, and considering the ammo that they had going in, they AT BEST, have replaced Light, Neal (which was needed and expected), Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, and Darius Butler, were they the problem? Were they the reason that Dirty Sanchez beat the Pats (twice) last year?

This team is no better today, than it was three days ago, they still have TBC on the edge! They still do not have a pass rush, and I don't care how many CBs you have, the most they can cover anybody is about 4 seconds, after that, the WR is going to get open.

Before you flush the season, remember that the Pats defense is pretty young. Adding more youth may not be the best plan for playoff success (I'm sure you aren't pushing for more regular season success). Also remember that all of these drafted edge rush guys are doing 2 things...taking the roster spots of existing edge rush guys and eliminating possible destinations for free agents. I think it is short-sighted to think Belichick didn't consider this when making the decision to punt on edge rushers in the draft.

Dunno how you can give them an A+. A- at best, don't think you can get A+ without drafting a pass rusher or a d-linemen when they are major needs. And I don't think they got a guard either. Could turn out to be a very good draft though if the running backs pan out and Mallett turns into a star down the road.

The Pats Defense had 611 pass attempts against (2nd most in the league) them with 388 completions. 63.5% completion rate. Not great. They allowed 25 passing TDs. Again, not great. But we all know there are 2 portions of pass defense. The Pass Rush and then the coverage. And, with the rookies and injuries the Pats had on defense last year, I am not surprised with how things went. The Pats seemed to be very good on 1st and 2nd down and then would allow a drive continuing completion, for whatever the reason. Hence the large number of attempts against.

But the Pats went from allowing 22 Pts per game to allowing only 19 by the end of the season.. That means the defense got better. This is supported by the fact that from week 12 through week 17, the team didn't allow any 400 yard passing games (compared to 8 of 10 games having more than 400 passing yards allowed). Now, I can also admit that the team was helped out by the weather some. But so are any open stadium teams playing in the north during the winter.

Your right about the weather but the biggest improvement I saw in the defense was in the midseason. It really looked like the defense was turning the corner until the injuries just got to be too much as you mentioned. Despite all the injuries they played well but I think Wright was the straw that broke the camels back. Noone foresaw the defensive line decimation coming including BB. I mean who would of figured with all the depth we had that the depth would get injured too?

Beating it like a drum as always. Warren,Bodden,Brace,Pryor,hopefully a healthy Wright is like a huge plus to add to this defense. 14-2 with those guys missing a majority of the year is very impressive. I think there will be a lot of fans suprised.

If the Pats had a solid pass rush (think the Steelers) but needed OL help (think the Colts) and RB help (think the Fins) and needed a QB of the future (think the Seahawks), would you feel the same way? I'm inclined to think that if the above combination were true, you would think the Pats absolutely killed the draft. That is the difference between drafting for value/opportunity and drafting for need.

Yes. If they were the StoltinsHawks this would have been a great draft!

Actually I think their grades are more spot on.......I would have liked to see them give Pats a little credit for Mallett and the RB picks but they are right,......we did NOTHING to address the terrible pass rush/pressure which appears to be a priority!

How many times do I have to hear this stupidity? The pass rush was not terrible!!!! They finished 14th in sacks, just above average for the season and were much better in the 2nd half ( I believe they were 2nd in the league over the last 8 games in sacks and points allowed). They were also 2nd in turnovers created and 1st by a ton in turnover differential, all with a very young D and plethora of injuries on the D-Line especially and Spikes missing 4 games to suspension.

The PASS RUSH IS NOT TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It improved throughout the season and there is no reason to think it won't be better next year when we have young guys maturing, injured stars coming back, and better secondary which should allow more blitzing.

Not to mention FA still will happen at some point.

Just because the media and certain board members keep saying stupid things about our D and pass rush doesn't mean they are right. Does nobody remember how excited we all were by the almost weekly improvement we saw in the D down the stretch? Was all of that wiped away by one playoff loss?

And for the record I was dying for Quinn or Cam Jordan. And I was probably wrong that they would be fits for this D. Jordan obviously got no 3-4 love and Quinn would have been a project switch to OLB. I will take the fact that BB didn't put any effort into taking either that they weren't fits or at least weren't as important as improving the o-line.

And the draft is riddled with failed pass rushers lately. Ask Jacksonville and Carolina.

Dunno how you can give them an A+. A- at best, don't think you can get A+ without drafting a pass rusher or a d-linemen when they are major needs. And I don't think they got a guard either. Could turn out to be a very good draft though if the running backs pan out and Mallett turns into a star down the road.

They got a guard rated as a top 50 pick in the 5th round!

I assume you're talking about a pick six? Because those would be the only interceptions I know that don't get the defense off the field.

People in here will hate the Patriots' drafts for as long as we don't take an OLB in the first. They've made up their minds that that's what the Patriots need to succeed, and that's that. The McCourty pick was widely hated around here for the same reason.

That said, I always find grades given the day after the draft funny. They seem to be 50% the writer's opinion on the players selected, and 50% an acknowledgement of how the team has drafted over the last couple of years. If the Pats hadn't killed it last year, nobody would be giving them an A+ this year.

Last edited:
I just love this inability to get off the field nonsense.
I guess that means compared to other teams we are allowing 3,4,5 extra first downs on every drive huh?
Oh wait.
The NFL average was 80 3rd down conversions against. We allowed 99.
That is 1.2 a game.
We 'can't get off the field' because we allow 1 3rd down conversion before we stop the next one each game, on average.
Thats how silly these overblown arguments get.
But I have a better idea. Lets get all out aggressive and blitz the house, so then instead of being #1 in fewest 40+ plays allowed we can have a better 3rd down % let up more points and lose more games.

Allowing long touchdown plays gets you off the field.

I'd rather have patience and get turnovers, or big plays after long drives.

Off the field either way, though.:rolleyes:

Kiper gave us a C+. I already feel much better about our draft after reading that. :D

Patriots get an A from some of the more knowledgeable analyst (Kirwin & Casserly) because they got great value for each pick filled needs and positioned themselves to continue to refresh the roster in the draft going forward.

The team will never be static from year to year you need new players EVERY year.

The D was totally rebuilt the past 2 drafts this draft is starting to do the same thing for the O.

We went from the oldest group of RB at the beginning of camp last year to a young group of RB's.

We added a player who has the upside to be a franchise OT those chances rarely come along. This also give the opportunity to move Light inside and extend his career another couple of years (ie move him to OG next year). We now have a player who has the tools to develop into a Franchise QB, we got him in the 3rd round. If Brady gets injured in the future we could be a factor in the playoffs with our backup QB. If (due to injuries) Brady retires at the end of this contract we could have a replacement that wouldn't be a huge drop off. We obtained a mauler OG who if not for a medical situation would have been a 1st round ot pickup, we got him in the 5th round. We got a CB who project as a top 10 pick before an injury, who cn play CB or S.

Oh yeah we picked up 2 picks in the first 60 for next year that BB will wheel and deal with to select more players in the first 100 and obtain more picks for subsequent years and Mel Kiper will hate next years draft.

The organization's goals is to be in a position to compete for a championship each year. That is what they have done for 10 years now and will do for another 5-10 at least.

We have it really good now nothing to complain about. Some of us waited 40 years to win a championship and saw not many playoff years during that time. This is as good as it gets.

For those who think Belichick was smoking crack while picking the draft,there is another SN columnist tonight who thinks Belichick was smoking hot.....

Pats are Only 1 of 2 teams to get the highest possible grading shared with Detroit.

The Jets as a major fail grade with a big fat 'D' :rocker:

NFL Draft grades: Lions, Patriots ace their tests; Jets swing and miss - NFL - Sporting News
Thats nice i'm glad. But i have to point out that when people were complaining during the last three days it was pointed out that these same sites like SN were a bunch of hacks that didn't know football. Now these same sites are know what their talking about because they gave the Pats an A+ so which is it. BTW like they say it takes three years to fairly grade a draft.

I admit that I have trouble enough keeping track of the guys on the team and maybe a handful of top college players, so I stand in amazement of folks out here who "opine" with such certainty on draftees whom they have never seen play or on whom they've seen a few seconds of clips.

I look at the current draft and say, Gee, the Pats have an aging backfield so it's smart they picked up a couple of backs, they're going to need some help on the line for sure, so their first pick looks strong, Ryan Mallet might be a bust or he might be a first round talent for third round money, I can't argue with another strong and flexible guy at corner.

People who seem to know a lot more about this than I do say we should have gone after a pass rusher, and maybe it will turn out they were right, but otherwise, this all looks reasonable to me. Let's see what Free Agency brings, if there is a Free Agency and a season in which they can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back