PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sporting News MOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
They had us taking DeAngelo Williams RB from Mmphis at #21.
This was in there weekly magazine and I don't know if its available on line.

Wouldn't get too excited - that will change 10X before draft day.

Last edited:
I know this all changes, but I definetly wouldn't complain about that pick. He'd have time to ease-in and learn protection schemes, as he'd start behind Dillon & Faulk and work his way up. You can nab your OL, DL, LB, DB, & possibly WR in later rounds.

Pats/Hokies Fan said:
He'd have time to ease-in and learn protection schemes
He can learn them all he wants, he's too small for my liking as a pass blocker.

BelichickFan said:
Williams 5'6 5/8" 213 per ESPN's player listings. Faulk 5'8" 202 per Patriots.com roster. Faulk is our best at blitz pickup, Williams could develop into a good blocker if he works at it. He's a good runner, nice talent, and not a need as I see it. The Combine should start upsetting a lot of mocks as the workout kings turn heads.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Williams 5'6 5/8" 213 per ESPN's player listings. Faulk 5'8" 202 per Patriots.com roster. Faulk is our best at blitz pickup
Faulk isn't our best at blitz pickup, Dillon is. I don't want a RB less than 5'7" protecting Brady from blitzing LB.

BelichickFan said:
Faulk isn't our best at blitz pickup, Dillon is. I don't want a RB less than 5'7" protecting Brady from blitzing LB.
We shall agree to disagree, I would rank Dillon behind Pass, that isn't to say he's bad at blitz pickup, but he is slower to recognize and react then Faulk, and he doesn't always get squared up on the blitzer. Faulk was holding off LBs for five counts in the Jacksonville game, he is very consistent game to game, whereas Cory has started slow and gotten better by the end of the season.

I agree short RBs will have more trouble winning the arm length/leverage game, as well as seeing the field behind the trees. That isn't to say they can't, but they start at a disadvantage.

I also prefer Faulk in blitz pick-up to Dillon.

Last edited:
I like a lot of things about Williams but if we're going to spend the #21 pick in a very strong draft on a RB I don't want it to be on a 5'7" RB. Of course, I'm biased as I want no part of a 1st round RB this year.

Most of the mock drafts have Williams going much higher. I was surprised when I saw TSN projecting him to the Pats the other day. Most people have him as a top 10 pick, the lowest seem to be the Vikings at 17 taking him

workhorse said:
Most of the mock drafts have Williams going much higher. I was surprised when I saw TSN projecting him to the Pats the other day. Most people have him as a top 10 pick, the lowest seem to be the Vikings at 17 taking him
I don't expect to see him there either and I hope he isn't. But Maroney seems to be moving up and White is expected to be gone too. 4 RB in the top 20 may not happen and could leave one of them there for us, whether I like it or not.

BelichickFan said:
I like a lot of things about Williams but if we're going to spend the #21 pick in a very strong draft on a RB I don't want it to be on a 5'7" RB. Of course, I'm biased as I want no part of a 1st round RB this year.
I'm with you on the 1st round RB, I'd even grumble if BB took a second day RB - well, at least shrug my shoulders and sigh. :p

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'd even grumble if BB took a second day RB
Starting with the 3rd round I won't be upset with a RB. There is the real possibility that Dillon really is what we say last year (2005) and won't be back in 2007.

It'll be interesting to see what we do with his contract option. If we pick it up we could cut him this year with less cap impact (with the option bonus being spread over 3 years) but if we don't pick it up and he gets the $6M salary guaranteed we could cut him a year from now with less cap impact. It all depends how hurt he really was/wasn't, how his attitude was, etc.

BelichickFan said:

This is the old NFL. It is now centered around pure athleticism. Emmitt Smith, Warrick Dunn, and Barry Sanders.

I agree with Box's disagreement.

Dillon, as Box said, doesnt' get completely squared up to a blitzer and tries to lower a shoulder and take them out, an act which I've seen fail some times and suceed others. There was also a time where Brady was forced into an interception, or a costly incompletiton, when Dillon totally blew a blitz pickup.

BelichickFan said:
I don't expect to see him there either and I hope he isn't. But Maroney seems to be moving up and White is expected to be gone too. 4 RB in the top 20 may not happen and could leave one of them there for us, whether I like it or not.

I hope you guys pass on a RB, at least that way the Colts would have the option to take one to replace Edge.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Williams 5'6 5/8" 213 per ESPN's player listings. Faulk 5'8" 202 per Patriots.com roster. Faulk is our best at blitz pickup, Williams could develop into a good blocker if he works at it. He's a good runner, nice talent, and not a need as I see it. The Combine should start upsetting a lot of mocks as the workout kings turn heads.
Just to let everyone know, DeAngelo Williams weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 5"8.5 not 5"6.5...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/weighin.html

DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
5084 208
* Looked very strong and compact.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
5084 208
Even if he proves to be an average, or better, blocker, I just don't see Belichick looking at a guy that size as a full time RB. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back