Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sporting News gives Pats an F for the offseason

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SoCal Bong, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCal Bong

SoCal Bong Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Phil Barber in the most recent Sporting News issue
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=98678

"Patriots: Coach Bill Belichick and vice president of personnel Scott Pioli have long since proved their ability to find replacement parts, but this is starting to look like a dismantling. The offense lost wideout David Givens and lineman Tom Ashworth, the defense lost linebacker Willie McGinest and cornerback Duane Starks, and the special teams lost kicker Adam Vinatieri and returner Tim Dwight. Besides wide receiver Reche Caldwell, who is expected to start, the Patriots have little to show on the other side of the ledger. Grade: F"

This was the only F grade issued.
  2. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The Patriots lost Duane Starks!?!? Tom Ashworth? Tom Dwight?

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!
  3. drpatriot

drpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I love how the Broncos get a C+.

They gained one questionable receiver.

They lost "key" elements to their defense.

I don't see how their offseason has been better than ours.
  4. BradyisGod

BradyisGod Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So apparently the only thing that makes Phil Barber have anything to do with football is that he has the same last name as a RB and a safety?
  5. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +647 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

"Buccaneers: They didn't bring in much new talent, but they retained the players they needed most: right tackle Kenyatta Walker, defensive tackle Chris Hovan and fullback Mike Alstott. OK, they might miss safety Dexter Jackson. Grade: B+"

Didn't we retain that Defensive Lineman? Can't remember his name, but I know he's not as good as Kenyatta.:rolleyes: *Borges*
  6. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It's obvious that this hack just sat down and listed each teams' additions and subtractions. That's it! Lazy journalism.
  7. LloydBraun

LloydBraun Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

re:

What about the draft? If we would have had a Maroney type to fill in last year when Dillon was out we would have been much better off.

In the Denver and KC games, the opposing D's would not have been able to tee off on Brady. Even in the Indy game, if we wre able to run, it would have been a much better game. With a better running game when Dillon was out last year, we would have likely scored the 2 seed and eventually had homefield thoughout (when Indy was knocked out).

Vinatieri and McGinest are big losses, but in the end will not be as big as their names are.

I am looking forward to how good we will be on BOTH sides of the ball this year!!!!!
  8. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Here's what I said:

9. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0

Classic, typical, fuels the fire, fine with me.
  10. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It was bad enough we lost Tim Dwight. But we lost Tom Dwight also. We are definately doomed.:D
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  11. Haterproof

Haterproof Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love how some people are doubting the Pats decisions this offseason.Keep on doubting us.This will make winning another championship even sweeter.I hope this same journalist eats his words in the end.
  12. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hehe, I love this stuff.
  13. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well thanks for your grade Phil Barber and if you think Duane Starks was a loss you need your eyes checked but hey I like grades like this because this team is constantly making moves and changes all the way up till opening day and I would like to know how do you want your crow seasoned after its all
    over with this year?
  14. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

Whoever did the grade was on crack or was merely following what the crowd said about the Pats off season. I doubt he even knew about the fact that we signed Warfield and re signed Scott, Gay, Neal, Brown now Hochstein.

As for losing Vinatraitor, hes clutch hes great but his leg is gonna wear down soon. We have something to foward in in Gostwoski who should have very good skills and if he misses a few important field goals oh well, no one is AV. Put it this way if the Pats play dominant like they have in the past there will be no need to send own one of our kickers for a game winner.

In defense of Duane Starks he had a horrible season but I heard he played injured in some of the games. Learning the Pats defense isnt something that you can automatically do as its complicated...notice all our new DB's struggled this year. Who knows he could pull out a monster year for Oakland.
  15. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Ditto. This is the best news I've heard all day. The only way it could be better is if I had actually recognized the author's name as someone credible and widely respected.
  16. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

We gotta pass this one on to Rodney.

Love the line by Kirsch in the latest issue of PFW, about what Pats players would build if they had a stake in Kraft's new Route 1 development plan:

"Rodney Harrison's Motivational Training Center. "They said you couldn't do it - I say you can!" This will most likely be the flagship of the wellness center."
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Wow, Mike Alstott. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he's always been very professional, but his glory days past him a few years back. Good chance he doesn't make this years team, and this guy puts him on a pedestal? Not to burst this guy's bubble, but Kenyatta Walker isn't all that great either. I'm kind of glad he gave us an "F", as he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  18. AllabouttheVinces

AllabouttheVinces Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This guy is a complete moron. Seattle gets an A-? They lost Jurevicious, then overpaid Nate Burleson $49 million to replace him. Are you kidding me? Nate Burleson? They overpay for Peterson, lose Hutchinson, lose Dyson. Their draft was ho-hum. What did they do right? OK, they kept Alexander, I'll give them that.

As for the Pats, he calls Duane Starks a loss? We call it dumping!!
  19. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What a lazy "journalist" - look what he said about the Steelers:

"Steelers: You can almost disregard this grade. The Steelers always seem to compensate for free-agent losses with astute drafts and development of talent. This year, they locked up most of their own free agents (cornerback Deshea Townsend probably was the most notable), although they lost defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, wideout Antwaan Randle El and safety Chris Hope. Grade: C "

Astute drafts and development of talent? Boy that sounds familiar. I guess the champs get a free pass and we don't.

When the Pats are healthy, there isn't a better team in this league, PERIOD. The last 3 years we've had a plague that gets worse than the year before, and we still manage to win playoff games. This team isn't going anywhere, well, maybe the Super Bowl :)
  20. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i am NOT surprised at all...
    good for us...
    they wil see , again, who we are...

be patient...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.