Sporting News: Cassel #3 FA this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The actual list is subscriber-only.

#1 is Albert Haynesworth, I'm guessing #2 is either Suggs or Peppers.

Double L's for the millions he'll be making, maybe? ;)

Many eyes also are on Patriots quarterback Matt Cassell, the No. 3 free agent in the Super 99 after his surprisingly successful year filling in for the injured Tom Brady. While numerous teams could benefit from Cassell's services as their starting QB, the Patriots are expected to use their franchise tag on him, meaning he'll either continue to backup Brady, or the Patriots will trade him and be able to control where he ends up.

Seriously, though, who would have seen this just four months ago?

Nobody! Last summer, I remember someone created a thread stating where Matt Cassel's next job would be. It showed a picture of a guy walking into Walmart. However, for some reason, I can't find that original thread. I found that thread pretty funny. I'm glad Cassel proved me wrong.

Last edited:
Nobody! Last summer, I remember someone created a thread stating where Matt Cassel's next job would be. It showed a picture of a guy walking into Walmart. However, for some reason, I can't find that original thread. I found that thread pretty funny. I'm glad Cassel proved me wrong.

I would have never thought. I wasn't on the Gutz-for-prez bandwagon, mind you, but I thought the season was over... now : this board is all Cassel ; all the time.

The only person on here I remember saying Cassel would make the cut was Deus.

Although I didn't think he would make the final 53 man roster, I did ask when Cassel took over what would happen if he had a good season and whether anyone would see a possibility of franchising and trading him and I was resoundly ridiculed. Not so funny now, huh?

Don't forget Spacecrime the Magnificent (magnificent at what is open for de-bait :D ).

No offense to Matt, but...he looked HORRIBLE in the preseason...HORRIBLE.

he gave nobody any reason to speculate on an 11 win season.

I've gotta give it up to the man, he did his talking on the field during the regular season. He proved me wrong and deserves all the millions headed his way.

well done Mr. Cassel!

Although I didn't think he would make the final 53 man roster, I did ask when Cassel took over what would happen if he had a good season and whether anyone would see a possibility of franchising and trading him and I was resoundly ridiculed. Not so funny now, huh?
Actually is quite hilarious, but I was arguing on Cassel's side in preseason so I'm happy. :D

MoLewisrocks was saying it..... it's too bad that he hasn't been around lately.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks was saying it..... it's too bad that he hasn't been around lately.
Did he finally go for that kinky European operation he was planning? :eek:

The actual list is subscriber-only.

#1 is Albert Haynesworth, I'm guessing #2 is either Suggs or Peppers.

Double L's for the millions he'll be making, maybe? ;)

BB and TFB had faith in him but I bet even they didn't forsee this. I'm really happy for Matt,he deserves all the press he's getting:rocker:

He put up with a TON of negativity too, but he continued to work hard and improved every week. He'a a Rock Star:D

Wrong
Around 25% of us per the polls taken at the time made the case that Gutz would be cut and Cassel kept as the #2.

Obviously, few paid attention.

P.S. Moe left Patsfans in disgust at the all Cassel bashing, trade Brady, we suck posts

Last edited:
Wrong
Around 25% of us per the polls taken at the time made the case that Gutz would be cut and Cassel kept as the #2. Obviously, few paid attention.

P.S. Moe left Patsfans in disgust at the all Cassel bashing, trade Brady, we suck posts
Been there, the T-shirt is no consolation.
sad-smiley-345.gif

No offense to Matt, but...he looked HORRIBLE in the preseason...HORRIBLE.

he gave nobody any reason to speculate on an 11 win season.

I've gotta give it up to the man, he did his talking on the field during the regular season. He proved me wrong and deserves all the millions headed his way.

well done Mr. Cassel!

And I said he was doing all that Belichick assigned him to do.

The Team needed to audition a boatload of (very!) Offeneive linemen seeking a half year replacment for Steve Neal and a few games or more replacement for Nick Kaczur. That meant taking the lumps as TB was too valuable. He did it and didn't complain.

The Team needed to audition a boatload of WRs seeking depth for the frontliners. The font liners didn't play much and the WRs brought in were busts, hopeless end of roster types, and never will bes. They ran wrong routes; they couldn't catch; they couldn't get open. He did it and didn't complain.

I suspect that BB took adantage of those circumstancers to test Cassel's character. He didn't fold under the presure of lousy protection and WRs not doing a major league job and making him look bad. He maintained his POISE. Throufh it all Cassel earned points for not complaining, not getting down. He just did his job the best he could.

So as far as I was concerned, and I broadcast it to everyone, I actually thought Cassel was never in any danger.

And I got mocked for saying something obviously so stupid. He who laughs last, laughs best.;)

Would it have the Sporting News to get his name right? Doesn't really instill you with faith in their depth of analysis.

not me. i remember espn rated the top backup QBs in the league prior to the season and i think cassel was 31 or 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes