PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sporting News All Sports top 50 coaches BB 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
And IMO it is BS he is better than half the guys ahead of him on the list.

Phil Jackson and Don Shula to name a few.

Phil Jackson has won more titles than any coach in sports history or at least top 3 definately,Why should'nt he be above Belichick,because he had Kobe and Jordan?? ..Come on now...

I don't see the list ,but in Baseball Torre should be on there

Last edited:
Phil Jackson has won more titles than any coach in sports history or at least top 3 definately,Why should'nt he be above Belichick,because he had Kobe and Jordan?? ..Come on now...

I don't see the list ,but in Baseball Torre should be on there

coaching 53 men is a lot harder than 11. yes Kobe, Jordan, Shaq. Most of all he quits when the going gets tough.

coaching 53 men is a lot harder than 11. yes Kobe, Jordan, Shaq. Most of all he quits when the going gets tough.

Winning 10 championships is hard too - I do not like Jackson as I of course am a Celts fan but if I had a expansion franchise,he is the first guy I call.

How is the going getting tough with LA? Last time I looked Kobe ain't going anywhere and they just won the title and I think he is quitting as a championship HC if he hasnt already.

With all the variables, complexities, and nuances that go into evaluating a coach, you're going to go with a one-liner?

Yeah, there are 53 players on a football team, but how many coaches to help with those players. Compared to a basketball team? Second, you could argue that coaching football is harder than coaching any other sport, and so no other coaches deserve mention, but this is a list that includes all sports, meaning someone is getting evaulated based on how good a coach they are within their sport.

Lastly, you might say, "10 championships, BUT...". It's the same crap people say about Belichick. Three championships, BUT he has Brady. Three championships, BUT he had Spygate. Who cares! The guy has ten championships. He deserve to be on top of that list. No need to take it personally, Belichick won't top every single list. As long as he's the best football coach, I'm happy, but none of this "my coach can beat up your coach" garbage.

Last edited:
give me jordan, pippen, and rodman and I'll win six titles. jackson was there for the ride.

give me jordan, pippen, and rodman and I'll win six titles. jackson was there for the ride.

Partly true, but you can say the same thing for BB just being along for the ride with Brady...after all Bill was 5-11 in his first season here, the year before Tom got his chance...ever since Tom became the guy, this team has been at the top or near the top ever since...

Last edited:
Partly true, but you can say the same thing for BB just being along for the ride with Brady...after all Bill was 5-11 in his first season here, the year before Tom got his chance...ever since Tom became the guy, this team has been at the top or near the top ever since...

true. i'm not going to go into the mountains of details on this subject with phil jackson. i know a lot about this zen master, but i'd rather keep things to just football. so i'll drop it while i'm ahead

true. i'm not going to go into the mountains of details on this subject with phil jackson. i know a lot about this zen master, but i'd rather keep things to just football. so i'll drop it while i'm ahead

The zen master who got his ass handed to him in the NBA finals last year and would have this year too had Garnett been healthy.............

Belichick should be in the top ten on this list simply because he was at the helm of a dynasty in professional football during a time in which the rules were set up specifically so that a dynasty could not happen. I'm not going to get into a Phil Jackson debate as I think he has been EXTREMELY lucky with the talent he has had.

Coaching basketball is one step up from legion ball. The validity of ranking various sports makes no sense.

How about the guy who has 12 rings in collegiate synchronized swimming?

Yeah, that is why the Jordan/Pippen Bulls won so much with Doug Collins and The Kobe/Shaq Lakers had all those rings with Del Harris. Oh wait.

Can't respect the list when there are no soccer coaches on it.

1. John Wooden, college basketball
2. Vince Lombardi, NFL
3. Bear Bryant, college football
4. Phil Jackson, NBA
5. Don Shula, NFL
6. Red Auerbach, NBA
7. Scotty Bowman, NHL
8. Dean Smith, college basketball
9. Casey Stengel, MLB
10. Knute Rockne, college football
11. Pat Summitt, women's college basketball
12. Paul Brown, NFL
13. Joe Paterno, college football
14. George Halas, NFL
15. Chuck Noll, NFL
16. Bob Knight, college basketball
17. Joe Gibbs, NFL
18. Tom Landry, NFL
19. Mike Krzyzewski, college basketball
20. Bill Belichick, NFL
21. Adolph Rupp, college basketball
22. Joe McCarthy, MLB
23. Eddie Robinson, college football
24. Bobby Bowden, college football
25. John McGraw, MLB
26. Bill Walsh, NFL
27. Woody Hayes, college football
28. Connie Mack, MLB
29. Bud Wilkinson, college football
30. Pat Riley, NBA
31. Pete Newell, college basketball
32. Joe Torre, MLB
33. Bill Parcells, NFL
34. Tom Osborne, college football
35. Walter Alston, MLB
36. Bo Schembechler, college football
37. Toe Blake, NHL
38. Sparky Anderson, MLB
39. Al Arbour, NHL
40. Amos Alonzo Stagg, college football
41. Tony La Russa, MLB
42. Geno Auriemma, women's college basketball
43. **** Irvin, NHL
44. Ara Parseghian, college football
45. Chuck Daly, NBA
46. Bobby Cox, MLB
47. Hank Iba, college basketball
48. Tommy Lasorda, MLB
49. Gregg Popovich, NBA
50. Herb Brooks, NHL

Can't respect the list when there are no soccer coaches on it.

1. John Wooden, college basketball
2. Vince Lombardi, NFL
3. Bear Bryant, college football
4. Phil Jackson, NBA
5. Don Shula, NFL
6. Red Auerbach, NBA
7. Scotty Bowman, NHL
8. Dean Smith, college basketball
9. Casey Stengel, MLB
10. Knute Rockne, college football
11. Pat Summitt, women's college basketball
12. Paul Brown, NFL
13. Joe Paterno, college football
14. George Halas, NFL
15. Chuck Noll, NFL
16. Bob Knight, college basketball
17. Joe Gibbs, NFL
18. Tom Landry, NFL
19. Mike Krzyzewski, college basketball
20. Bill Belichick, NFL
21. Adolph Rupp, college basketball
22. Joe McCarthy, MLB
23. Eddie Robinson, college football
24. Bobby Bowden, college football
25. John McGraw, MLB
26. Bill Walsh, NFL
27. Woody Hayes, college football
28. Connie Mack, MLB
29. Bud Wilkinson, college football
30. Pat Riley, NBA
31. Pete Newell, college basketball
32. Joe Torre, MLB
33. Bill Parcells, NFL
34. Tom Osborne, college football
35. Walter Alston, MLB
36. Bo Schembechler, college football
37. Toe Blake, NHL
38. Sparky Anderson, MLB
39. Al Arbour, NHL
40. Amos Alonzo Stagg, college football
41. Tony La Russa, MLB
42. Geno Auriemma, women's college basketball
43. **** Irvin, NHL
44. Ara Parseghian, college football
45. Chuck Daly, NBA
46. Bobby Cox, MLB
47. Hank Iba, college basketball
48. Tommy Lasorda, MLB
49. Gregg Popovich, NBA
50. Herb Brooks, NHL

Paterno should be higher up on that list - He began coaching at PSU before most guys in here were even an embryo

Not to mention the championships he earned and being a god-like figure of State College

Paterno should be higher up on that list - He began coaching at PSU before most guys in here were even an embryo

Not to mention the championships he earned and being a god-like figure of State College

In all those years he's been coaching PSU he's won an amazing 1-1/2 Titles. Sorry but that's not a great coach, that's a guy who pretty much runs the organization and can't be fired by the people out in Central PA who don't know any better. 1966, he's been coaching the same school since 1966 and has only ever one 1-1/2 Nation Titles. Sorry, but I'm not impressed. He just happens to be so ingrained in the school that they don't know how to get rid of the guy. Now they just wheel him out on game day into the booth upstairs while real coaches do the work on the sidelines. Poor guy, when he does finally retire and has nothing to do, he's dead within 1 year.

Joe Pa should be further down the list for sure. He's too high on it. Yeah, he has the record for most wins ever, but break it down.

383 wins

25-0 Against Temple
24-0 Against Maryland
22-4 Against Syracuse
25-2 Against West Virginia
16-1 Against Rutgers
23-7 Against Pitt (Ugh!)
12-5 Against Mich State
16-4 Against BC
9-1 Against Army
8-1 Against Cincy
12-0 Against Indiana
10-2 Against Purdue

4-8 Against Alabama
8-12 Against Ohio State
4-10 Against Michigan
6-7 Against Wisconsin
3-4 Against Nebraska
3-2 Against Tennessee
3-2 Against Texas
4-4 Against USC
1-2 Against UCLA
0-2 Against Oklahoma
0-1 Against Florida
1-0 Against Georgia
0-1 Against Toledo (My Personal Favorite)
2-2 Against Virginia

Funny...not only does his record not shine when he goes against Traditional Powers in College Football...but he actually Avoids them. He's made his career playing Temple 25 Times.

In all those years he's been coaching PSU he's won an amazing 1-1/2 Titles. Sorry but that's not a great coach,

You do realize that he's had 5 undefeated seasons (12-0) and six more at 11-1. The reason when only won 1.5 titles was because it's voted on and they don't have a playoff in college football.

Herb Brooks is laughable. A joke. Only the most pomp pomp waving fans would put him on that list. Felipe Alou - 25 times the coach.

OK... you got me... hardcore Expos fan... but sticking by the statement and would say we could find hundreds of coaches better than Brooks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey