Sporting News: AFC QB rankings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evans555

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=431020

1. Patriots
Tom Brady already had the rings, and now he has the stats (including an NFL-record 50 TD passes). No one is better. Rookie Kevin O'Connell could eventually replace Matt Cassel as the No. 2, but not this year.

2. Colts
With his remarkable accuracy and complete mental command of the game, Peyton Manning is right there with Brady--and he has never missed a start. Jim Sorgi has been adequate in his rare opportunities to play.

3. Steelers
Ben Roethlisberger took more control of the offense last season, calling all the protection changes and audibles. Veteran backup Charlie Batch can make big plays. Rookie Dennis Dixon is the likely No. 3.

4. Bengals
Carson Palmer's combination of accuracy, arm strength, field vision and leadership makes him an elite player. He must improve his ball security. Backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is tough and knows how to avoid pressure.

5. Chargers
At the end of last year , Philip Rivers was increasingly productive and limited his mistakes. After ACL surgery in January, he should be completely ready for training camp. Billy Volek is a proven backup.

6. Browns
Derek Anderson has a quick release but must improve his completion percentage and reduce his untimely interceptions. Brady Quinn has rare leadership skills and con_ dence and could step in if Anderson slips.

7. Broncos
Jay Cutler has regained the nearly 30 pounds he lost with the onset of diabetes, which left him sapped last season. He must learn to check down more and take fewer chances. Patrick Ramsey is a capable backup.

8. Jaguars
David Garrard has excellent mobility and a nice touch on short and midrange passes. He is working to improve on deep throws. Both backups, Cleo Lemon and Todd Bouman, have NFL starting experience.

9. Texans
Matt Schaub lacks mobility but can get out of jams when necessary and has a strong arm. His inability to avoid hits and injuries is a concern. Sage Rosenfels went 4-1 last season, which means a controversy will be swirling if Schaub gets off to a slow start.

10. Titans
Vince Young took a step back last year, so the Titans are trying to fix his footwork, among other things. Young has worked hard and is making progress. Kerry Collins is a capable, experienced backup.

11. Jets
Chad Pennington is a savvy veteran who generally manages games well. Kellen Clemens has a stronger arm, but his pocket presence is shaky. Their battle for the starting job will spill into the preseason.

12. Bills
Trent Edwards was a revelation as a rookie. He gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately but must improve his ability to read defenses. J.P. Losman's decision making is a big reason he lost the starting job to Edwards.

13. Raiders
Strong-armed JaMarcus Russell is still struggling to make up for lost time after a long holdout last summer. His talent far exceeds that of experienced backups Andrew Walter and Marques Tuiasosopo.

14. Ravens
Starter Kyle Boller makes poor decisions, especially in the red zone, and has never established himself as a leader. Like Boller, backup Troy Smith has accuracy issues. Rookie Joe Flacco is a year away.

15. Chiefs
Brodie Croyle is winless in six starts, but his growth has been slowed by a spotty running game and weak blocking. If he falters, the team could turn to the inexperienced Tyler Thigpen or veteran Damon Huard.

16. Dolphins
The competition for the starting job between John Beck and Josh McCown is wide-open. Beck is the more accurate passer, but McCown is bigger, stronger and more experienced. Rookie Chad Henne is the No. 3.

I would have the Bengals ahead of the Steelers

The Jaguars ahead of the Broncos

The Phins ahead of the Ravens

And the Bills ahead of the Titans and NY

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sporting News: AFC QB rankings....

I can agree with it, except I might put Garrard ahead of Anderson and Cutler after watching his performance against the Pats last year in the playoffs.

I can agree with it, except I might put Garrard ahead of Anderson and Cutler after watching his performance against the Pats last year in the playoffs.
He needs more experience, but I don't think it'll be long before Garrard is considered one of the top QBs in the league. What is most significant is how well he did when the pressure was greatest.

I would have Garrard in the #5 spot. IMHO he is one QB that I would love to have as insurance for TB. Smart, great mobility, accurate, doesn't turn the ball over.

I would have Garrard in the #5 spot. IMHO he is one QB that I would love to have as insurance for TB. Smart, great mobility, accurate, doesn't turn the ball over.
5th or 6th. I'm not sure he is better than Rivers at this point, but he is definitely ahead of Cutler and Anderson.

Agreed, with Gerard,the Jags will be tough this year,the Colts lock on that division title could be in jeopardy...

I agree with you guys on Garrard. He's made me a believer in his ability. The guy can move, and throw with accuracy. He should be a couple notches higher on that list.

He needs more experience, but I don't think it'll be long before Garrard is considered one of the top QBs in the league.

I absolutely agree with everybody who would put Garrard above Cutler and Anderson. But on the "experience" front, it's worth noting that Garrard is 30 years old and has plenty more starting experience than the other two QBs, who are both just 25.

Is there anyone more overrated in the league than Jay Cutler?

What a bunch of scrubs besides Peyton and Brady.

When Rottenburger and Palmer are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack...

Sure, Garrard looked good for a while, let's see a few years of that first. Rivers has talent, but he's got a huge attitude problem. Not good for a QB.

It's been recently noted Palmer's overrated. Let's see some performance when it counts.

The fact that Derek Anderson is #6 on a list of anything at this point of his career tells you all you need to know about this group.

What's the over/under on list members who won't even be starters in two years?

14. Ravens
Starter Kyle Boller makes poor decisions, especially in the red zone, and has never established himself as a leader. Like Boller, backup Troy Smith has accuracy issues. Rookie Joe Flacco is a year away.

15. Chiefs
Brodie Croyle is winless in six starts, but his growth has been slowed by a spotty running game and weak blocking. If he falters, the team could turn to the inexperienced Tyler Thigpen or veteran Damon Huard.
I'd like to see Boller and Croyle change names to see if anyone notices.

Kyle Croyle and Brodie Boller it is!

Last edited:

Is there anyone more overrated in the league than Jay Cutler?

I think that Carson Palmer is pretty overrated. I haven't been impressed with him in a couple of years.

I think that Carson Palmer is pretty overrated. I haven't been impressed with him in a couple of years.

True but I've never been impressed with Cutler. At least Palmer looked like a real stud pre-injury.

yeah that just really hit home for me, there is very little NFL level QB talent in the league right now. it's basically Brady, Manning, and Romo, with Romo being a stretch.

palmer is a bit too high for me, but i have no major complaints

When Rottenburger and Palmer are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack...

Sure, Garrard looked good for a while, let's see a few years of that first. Rivers has talent, but he's got a huge attitude problem. Not good for a QB.

It's been recently noted Palmer's overrated. Let's see some performance when it counts.

The fact that Derek Anderson is #6 on a list of anything at this point of his career tells you all you need to know about this group.

What's the over/under on list members who won't even be starters in two years?

And just what exactly is the problem? That you don't like it?

Problem is you're talking about two of the best that have ever played the game, so the difference between No.2 and No.3 is so far skewed that it's a COMPLETELY unfair comparison.....too bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots