Welcome to PatsFans.com

Spiking rule

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BadMoFo, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +38 / 2 / -1

Another idiotic post by the guys at PFT. I posted it here so no one has to click on their site. If it is a judgement call, idiot. I'm sure those five yards would have made a huge difference in the game.

2. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -1

The upshot of all that is that Ed "Guns" Hochuli and his crew aren't the kind to give out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

Just about the only extracurricular activity I saw get flagged was when three Chargers slammed and batted Brady's head into the FieldTurf.

A few questionable pass-interference calls aside, both teams got to just play ball.

3. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -1

We saw that spike in the stands and were actually surprised it didn't get flagged. I think it's a dumb rule and maybe some of the officials think so too.

4. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i wonder if the person doing the spiking has an effect...Wes Welker isnt exactly known for being a guy that celebrates or shows off.

5. Lampshade

Lampshade Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There were a number of spikes not called in various games yesterday; at least one of which was in the Miami-Dallas game. Surely referencing that one would have made more sense.

6. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Welker was clearly INSTANTLY aware of the F up and was lucky to get away with it. AS WAS THE CHARGER who did it later in the game - I think Asante ran over to an official right away. They didn't throw the flag either time, fine with me.

7. onegameatatime

onegameatatime Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Didn't Welker have a spike in game 1 too? So did Pennington.

Seems to me it should be limited to "serious" spikes however you define that. Someday, a guy will drop the ball with a little gusto and it will be called at exactly the wrong time.

8. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -1

Just saw the Shockey spike on NFLN. Clearly more "blatant" than Welker, like a taunt. They must only be calling "serious spikes" as someone else said, and maybe more on known showboaters like Shockey & TO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.