PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes...wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I did notice they blitzed him a lot on run downs. Though he didn't look great against zone runs but looked amazing on power runs...minus that pancake block he got from Leach. But he redeemed himself on the next play with an int.

I noticed his blitzes! Seemed to time them brilliantly, just the Ravens blocking him well that stopped him getting a sack or tackles for a loss!

He's still incredibly inconsistent. I noticed two running plays that he just sat and waited for the play to come to him, about five yards downfield, when he had an open lane to the runner. Just let other Pats players take care of business. I couldn't understand why he was just standing there. It wasn't about gap discipline.

At other times, he dominated.

team leading 9 tackles, 1 pass defensed and 1 int. He makes plays.

They been calling his name alot more than Mayos lately..hes gotten better and big difference in the D now that hes back.

Spikes playing a dangerous game

His volatility can be a bad thing.

In the second quarter, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco was working on a game-tying drive. Baltimore had already converted four first downs, climbing from its own 20 to the New England 8. Frustration boiled over and Spikes got tangled in a scrum. He threw a punch at Marshal Yanda.

It was a stupid, selfish play; Spikes didn't get ejected, but he could have.

Thing is, Spikes' energy is also one of his best offerings.

When Spikes plays football straight, he's a presence. You can look in the box score to see how he bothered the Ravens: nine total tackles (a team best), the interception, and a pass defensed. There just always something else in the footnotes, some off-field problem, some question of attitude.

During a lot of the struggles this season. Our defense was in position to make plays. They just didn't make em. Spikes makes plays. Tackles for loss are as good as a sack. Hurries the passer when blitzing. And, an int that should have iced the game. We have the ball at the 50 with 7 min left. Their defense looked terrible on the previous td drive. A nice 4 minute td drive and that game would have been over at 30-20 with 3 min left. With Spikes healthy it's clear to me that we're a better 3-4 team. Great NG. Excellent players At ILB. A very good SS vs the run. We just need that FS and will be an outstanding team down the middle of the defense.

The media is acting like Baltimore didn't make plays to cost them the game. So, did the Pats.

1. Brady misses Gronk and settle for FG. Cost 4 points.

2. Brady hits Gronk and we don't challenge. Cost 4 points if we score.

3. Two different guys could have covered Woodhead's fumble on the kickoff. Gave them 3 points.

4. The INT on the bomb was just a poor decision by Tom.

Honestly, Spikes might not be a fan favorite to a lot of us Patriot fans (although I've been a huge fan) but he is key for our defense. He is our thumper and most violent linebacker. This kid loves contact and takes on blocks well for the most part. Some people might not like his behavior on the field (chippy) but this is the type of attitude we need on this defense. We have a lot of good players but he is probably 1 of the very few players we have that will get in the offense's face whether its for a hug bit, trash talking or excessive contact. He is the spark and fire we need in this defense especially against teams like Giants and even more so Ravens when we played them. I loved watching the matchup between Spikes and Leach. Thats two physical old school type players as there was is finesse between either of them. Sure Leach got a few great blocks (as he should since he is the best FB in the NFL) but Spikes stood him up at times and then made a big play with the INT when they were driving on us. How can you not like a Cox type of player? He has the mean streak of Rodney Harrison and players like that which will definitely come in handy verse a guy like Brandon Jacobs since as we all know, the Giant RB always has something to say and gets chippy (especially with Vince Wilfork). If his actions on the field are held somewhat in check to the point where he won't be ejected, then I'll welcome the attitude any given Sunday. Lets go Patriots!

Like i said...The Sparkplug.

They been calling his name alot more than Mayos lately..hes gotten better and big difference in the D now that hes back.

If Spikes was just a bit quicker/faster, he would be in the same sentence as Patrick Willis, he is a playmaker. He's made more plays in his limited time in this league than Mayo.

Spikes brings the energy that this team has needed since Harrison left. As long as he does his job he will always have a place on the team.

Spikes is such an instinctive player on the field that when he drops in his zone, he may not be the fastest guy out there but he reads and reacts really well.

Just don't ask him to man up on the RB 1 on 1, that's Mayo territory. Drop into a zone, read the QB, and make a play on the ball? He can certainly handle that.

Spikes was possessed yesterday. I can't believe the kind of intensity he brought yesterday. He was just on a different level yesterday. In fact, were it not for the amazing performance of Vince and the two biggest plays of the game made by Sterling (my co-MVP's for the defense), Spikes would have easily been my defensive MVP for the game.

Spikes is such an instinctive player on the field that when he drops in his zone, he may not be the fastest guy out there but he reads and reacts really well.

Just don't ask him to man up on the RB 1 on 1, that's Mayo territory. Drop into a zone, read the QB, and make a play on the ball? He can certainly handle that.

I watched him do this time and again at UF. He is, in my opinion, the best LB in zone coverage on our team. At UF, he scored on almost every interception he caught, kind of like Bruschi at one point in his career here. Spikes was just amazing yesterday. I'm glad we drafted that guy.

Spikes laid a vicious hit on a Raven when he was down & his legs were in the air; Spike could have injured him. I think it was Pitta in the first half. The hit was not as bad as RayRay's hit on Brady but it was nasty.

Spikes laid a vicious hit on a Raven when he was down & his legs were in the air; Spike could have injured him. I think it was Pitta in the first half. The hit was not as bad as RayRay's hit on Brady but it was nasty.

I think that might have been Leach. Ninko kind of flipped him and Spikes delivered a second shot. Looked a lot worse in real time but not too bad on the replay.

I think that might have been Leach. Ninko kind of flipped him and Spikes delivered a second shot. Looked a lot worse in real time but not too bad on the replay.

Yeah, Spikes and Leach were at each other's throats the entire game with Leach winning quite a few of those battles.

Spikes was def looking for any opportunity to pop Leach. I thought it was a bit undisciplined when I saw it live but maybe I need to watch the game again to see if that's the case.

Great game by Spikes and huge big play. I like this LB corps more than any they have had in years.

I don't mind Leach owning Spikes a majority of the time. He's the best FB in the game and probably Top 3 all time at that position. Spikes does need to own Hynoski (sp?) in a few weeks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes