PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes is the real problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the real problem is the guy that drafted all these players and whose ego is too large to admit he needs outside help.

Please provide the information (not your opinion) you used to determine that its Bill's ego keeping him from hiring from outside rather than developing from within?

Please keep in mind that Scott O'Brien was brought in from "Outside" to help improve special teams...

Which completely exposed Spikes! Two deep safeties, CB playing under ... yeah a guy that can't move responsible for the middle! If anything, you have to put some of the blame on the coaches for putting him in this situation.

Except, as has been pointed out to you, Spikes was not responsible for the middle on Pitt's initial drive.

Please provide the information (not your opinion) you used to determine that its Bill's ego keeping him from hiring from outside rather than developing from within?

Please keep in mind that Scott O'Brien was brought in from "Outside" to help improve special teams...

Don't forget Dean Pees was from outside although he spent a year or two as a LB coach before moving to the DC position. Or let's not forget Floyd Reese.

This is a media grown theory. No one complained tha guys like Parcells, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, etc. grew their own talent to become coordinators rather than going outside. Bill Cowher did it while he was with the Steelers. It is usually easier to make the transition with home grown talent than from outside.

I don't get the ego crap. If Belichick was this egomaniac like everyone thinks, he would be far more concerned with his public image. I look at a guy like Rex Ryan having a far bigger ego problem than Belichick. I honestly think good or bad, Belichick does everything he does to win games. His decisions might not be the right ones at times, but I think he cares more about winning than he does about his own ego.

- A run stopping LB who can't cover is a liability against good teams who can pass, no, that isn't an original thought, others have come to that conclusion before me, what is shocking is that you don't seem to grasp the importance of it. A LB like Spikes might be useful in the regular season but he'll get you burned in the playoffs.

Nonsense. For crying out loud, did you never watch the Patriots prior to 2006? Did you not watch the Giants in 2007? Did you not watch the Packers win the Super Bowl this past season, with Hawk as a linebacker?

- Did it occur to you that Spikes isn't the only weak link in our defense's ability to cover?

Just the opposite. I don't consider him a problem for the defense's ability to cover, because he's not the coverage LB.

- Your pony comment wasn't rude, really? Shove it!

No, the pony comment wasn't rude. It was a playful little joke going along with the idea that you were WISHING for a particular linebacker, and you might as well wish for the pony at the same time. You misread it.

As for the shove it comment, feel free to take your own suggestion. ;)

Last edited:
There are a lot of people still in denial, 33 picks in the last 4 years and what do we have to show for all the trading down etc... We still have people congratulating BB when he cuts a player because he doesn't live with a mistake. Then there is the owners who will bust players balls just for a fair contract and in their mind if the highest dollar contract is what the player wants this isn't the place for him, really the Krafts are all about the last dollar it's just funny hearing that comment from him. They love to use the value word which is a code for not paying market value. One more thing BB is a great coach and he has been trying to rebiuld the defense then why won't he draft some people that can rush the passer, because if he had that maybe guys like Butler and Wheatly might still be on this team. They don't want to pay people like Peppers when they are available. They won those 3 superbowls with low payrolls and now they still haven't figured it out yet you have to pay for star players, draft them and develope them. There is something really wrong in Foxboro and they have been living off of Brady what happens if he goes down or retires.

WOW. A guy who has trouble with grammar busting on Kraft for not wanting to over-pay on contracts..

Pretty funny how you lump this year's picks in and insist on being blind about them...

2008:
Mayo - still very young. Had a break out season in 2010. Been hampered by an MCL sprain in 2011.
Wheatley, Crable, Wilhite - All 3 are gone. Of the 3, only Wilhite had some modicum of success.
Slater - Been a standout on special teams since day 1. Plays on all 6 special teams units.
Ruud - 7th round pick. Injured in TC. Never made the team.

2009:
Chung - Starting Safety. Has improved every year.

Brace - Has been injured much of his career. Showed some good signs when finally healthy in 2010 until a severe shoulder injury sidelined him again.

Butler - Cut because he didn't seem able to turn the corner and be successful. Is getting plenty of reps in Carolina

Vollmer- ALL PRO OT.

Tate - Was recovering from a torn ACL/MCL coming out of college. Reinjured his knee his rookie year after 1 game. Started off his 2nd year well, but faded. Was amongst the last cuts of the 2011 TC as he didn't seem to have enough with his KR abilities to stick. Playing for Cincinnati now. Has a 12.7 YPR on punts and a 25.1 YPR on kick-offs.. Both are better than anyone on the Pats.

McKenzie - Tore his ACL during rookie camp, where he'd been excelling. Was placed on the IR by the Pats and given his entire pay. Made the PS out of camp in 2010, but asked for his release during the first week of November. He then signed with TBs practice squad where he was later promoted and saw 3 games with them. He is now with the Vikings on their practice squad.

Ohrnberger - He's been injured a bit. Spent time on the practice squad and the pro-roster, much to the chagrin of many people.

George Bussey - Was IRed both his rookie and sophmore years with a knee injury.

Jake Ingram - Played extremely well his rookie year.. Lost all his confidence and was cut during his sophmore year.

Myron Pryor - Has been excellent when healthy. Missed 7 games last year and will miss most of this season due to injury.

Julian Edelman - This guy was an amazing find as a rookie. He stepped in for the injured Welker and did better than anyone could have expected. Has been relegated to special teams much of the last two years due to the depth at WR. He's been an excellent punt returner for the Pats and was doing well on kick returns until he was injured. Forced the Pats to cut Tate over him.

Darryl Richard - bottom of the 7th round. Can't expect much from him..

2010:
McCourty - Played extremely well as a rookie. Has had a down Sophmore year because of being asked to play a different style than he's been used to.

Gronkowski - had huge back injury flag coming out of college. Had exceeded everyone's expectations. Is close to being a complete TE, something the Pats haven't had since Ben Coates.

Cunningham - Has been the victim of the Pats inconsistency on the defense. Was learning the 3-4 OLB position as a rookie and showed that he was making strides. As a sophomore, he hasn't seen the field much since the Pats have excellent depth at 4-3 DE with Ellis, Carter, Anderson and Ninkovich ahead of him.

Spikes - Had the typical rookie growing pains. Was only a 2-down LB coming out of college. Made strides during the year. Still a work in progress being that he was directly affected by the switch from the 4-3 in college to the Pats 3-4 and back to a 4-3.

Price - Was buried on the depth chart as a rookie, but showed tremendous promise in the one game he played. As a sophomore, he is again buried on the depth chart due to the acquisition of Chad OchoCinco. Has not been getting many reps due to the Pats primary use of the 2TE/2WR/1RB set and very very few 3/4/5 WR sets.

Aaron Hernandez - There were flags on him coming out, but he showed to be an excellent receiving TE. Has improved his blocking each year, though still not as good as Gronkowski. Forms a devastating tandem with Gronkowski.

Zoltan Mesko - The guy has solved the punting woes that many felt had haunted the Pats since BB became coach.

Ted Larsen - Was cut by the Pats so they could put him on the PS, but he was claimed by Tampa Bay. He ended up starting 11 of 12 games last season and has started in 2 of 7 this season. He's played in 19 of 23 possible games.

Welch - Cut by the Pats, claimed by Minnesota. Re-signed by the Pats in 2011. Cut and is now a PS OT.

Brandon Deaderick - For a 7th round pick, he showed a lot of promise. Had an attitude issue that cause the Pats to suspended him. Started the year on the PUP.

Kade Weston - Injured as a rookie. Cut as a sophomore.

Zac Robinson - Cut. Claimed from waivers by the Seahawks. Cut. Claimed by the Lions. Cut by the Lions this year and signed by the Bengals.

2011:

Nate Solder - Stepped in at RT with Vollmer out and didn't miss a beat.

Dowling - earned a starting CB position despite missing all of Pre-season with an injury. Went on the IR due to a fluke injury that tore part of a tendon from his femur.

Vereen - Has been injured.

Ridley - has shown plenty of promise. Should be a valuable part of this team in the future.

Mallett - 3rd string QB. Showed plenty of promise during pre-season. More than 1st year QB the Pats have drafted since Brady.

Marcus Cannon - Kid was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma at the combine. Underwent Chemo with few side effects from all reports. Has begun practicing with the team and, should things go well, will be added to the active roster in the near future. I would not be surprised to see him get reps on goal line situations, short yardage situations, and possibly on kick return situations.

Lee Smith - Was a dark horse to make the team. was cut during training camp and claimed by the Bills. Pats had wanted to sign him the the PS.

Markell Carter - Showed promise during pre-season. Cut and signed to the Practice squad.

Malcom Williams - Drafted to be a STer in the mold of Willie Andrews. Was cut. Signed to the PS. Cut. Resigned. Cut again.

There is a helluva lot more success there than you are willing to give the Pats credit for. Have they had their misses? Yep. Just like every other team. For you to blame it solely on BB is just ridiculous.

Your spew about Kraft is just absolute ridiculousness and shows that you really don't know a damn thing about what goes on in this organization..

BTW, your claim of "low payrolls" for the Pats SB titles is just unfounded. But I guess that should be expected consindering the rest of the garbage posted by yourself..

BTW, Peppers signed for a ridiculous deal. He would have been paid more than Wilfork or Brady. You really think that would have flown over well? Especially after the Thomas fiasco?

Last edited:
Spikes > the bench > Guyton.

Last edited:
Ellis, Haynesworth, Ninkovich, Guyton, Idehigbo, Moulden = Problems

Spikes, Chung, McCourty, Mayo, Wilfork, Carter, Pryor = Solutions

I think in the grand scheme of things BB just prefers guys who don't give up big plays over playmakers. That's why Ninkovich and Guyton stay on the roster in my opinion.

Spikes is a baller and he's not going anywhere. Thank god. We need more fire in the belly, not less.

Spikes at least shows some emotion on the field when a good play happens and disgust when a bad play comes to fruition

I don't think I can say that for about 90% of the others on defense...some out there simply look lost or don't care.

The lack of a true leader on defense sticks out like a sore thumb...the closest to that would be Wilfork but there is not a big motivated locker room guy on this team IMO and it shows and is a small reason of many why the team is at the bottom ranked D.

Don't forget Dean Pees was from outside although he spent a year or two as a LB coach before moving to the DC position. Or let's not forget Floyd Reese.

This is a media grown theory. No one complained tha guys like Parcells, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, etc. grew their own talent to become coordinators rather than going outside. Bill Cowher did it while he was with the Steelers. It is usually easier to make the transition with home grown talent than from outside.

I don't get the ego crap. If Belichick was this egomaniac like everyone thinks, he would be far more concerned with his public image. I look at a guy like Rex Ryan having a far bigger ego problem than Belichick. I honestly think good or bad, Belichick does everything he does to win games. His decisions might not be the right ones at times, but I think he cares more about winning than he does about his own ego.
O,Brien was brought in from outside. Dom Capers was brought in from outside.

Spikes at least shows some emotion on the field when a good play happens and disgust when a bad play comes to fruition

I don't think I can say that for about 90% of the others on defense...some out there simply look lost or don't care.

The lack of a true leader on defense sticks out like a sore thumb...the closest to that would be Wilfork but there is not a big motivated locker room guy on this team IMO and it shows and is a small reason of many why the team is at the bottom ranked D.
Are you seriously telling me that if players do not play to the crowd they don't care?

Are you seriously telling me that if players do not play to the crowd they don't care?

I thought what appeared to me to be a very lethargic and unemotional defense...I saw players looking as if they were beaten although the game was still within reach.

Maybe it was because they were so tired for being out there all game but there was something not right to me,it looked something like the Colts defense against the Saints....lethargic.

I have watched hundreds upon hundreds of Pats games in my life,This game was not the most exciting to watch the D...in fact it was ugly.

We need that Ray Lewis,Mike Singletary or even Bart Scott type of motivator on this team....we have nothing even resembling that type of defensive player right now.

Spikes is a run stuffing linebacker
Period

If you want to point out an LB that has underachieved this year then pick on Mayo. If you watch the films he has been late and weak with every tackle except the goal line stands. His coverage is disgracefull

For the life of me I can't understand the love for that worthless and weak overated piece of garbage

Spikes is a run stuffing linebacker
Period

If you want to point out an LB that has underachieved this year then pick on Mayo. If you watch the films he has been late and weak with every tackle except the goal line stands. His coverage is disgracefull

For the life of me I can't understand the love for that worthless and weak overated piece of garbage
LSD or Magic Mushroom related post?

If you think Mayo is is a top of the line Backer then you are on drugs
Watch the film
It's apparent who the person lacking football nous and dabbles in a little puff puff give is. The username rhymes with sisterhut.

Mayo has been widely acclaimed as one of the young linebacking stars in the NFL. Nice of you to cherry pick a performance back from injury then hang your hat on it. Watch the film.

Last edited:
It's apparent who the person lacking football nous and dabbles in a little puff puff give is. The username rhymes with sisterhut.

Mayo has been widely acclaimed as one of the young linebacking stars in the NFL. Nice of you to cherry pick a performance back from injury then hang your hat on it. Watch the film.

Widely aclaimed by those who fail to watch the film
He has been a step late and a dollar short all year
That weakness displayed prior to his injury.

I judge him on a season long effort
You Sir are wrong
Period

Watch the film

Widely aclaimed by those who fail to watch the film
He has been a step late and a dollar short all year
That weakness displayed prior to his injury.

I judge him on a season long effort
You Sir are wrong
Period

Watch the film
I have and I'm discounting your opinion because it's flatly misinformed. Using "watch the film" as a qualifier isn't a particularly prudent point.

Last edited:
Then we agree to disagree
I suggest that you watch him closely against the Giants
They will run right through him.....
Except when they pass...which will be a lot :bricks:

While I agree that Mayo has had a "bad" year (even when he was healthy), that's relative. He's still our best backer by far and every other coach in the league would gladly take him off of our hands.

NOTE: I watch Solder and Mayo on every play respectively (OCD) and then again on DVR (OCD) so I do know what you're saying has an ounce of truth to it. You're still overreacting.

On the contrary, I hope they run right at Mayo. I won't deny his 2011 hasn't been to his normal high standards but the man has registered 100 plus tackles for each of his 3 seasons in the NFL. That suggests your opinion isn't correct given making a tackle generally means making a play. He's coming off a knee injury if you hadn't noticed. For mine, Guyton is the problem.

Even more so, calling one of the two blue chip players we have on defense (along with Wilfork) as a "worthless and weak overated piece of garbage" (your words) paints you as irrational.

On obvious running plays Spikes will be in there with Mayo anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye