PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes is the real problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that the Patriots were in a deep shell, which was so deep that it prevented the linebackers from being up on the tight end, right?

Which completely exposed Spikes! Two deep safeties, CB playing under ... yeah a guy that can't move responsible for the middle! If anything, you have to put some of the blame on the coaches for putting him in this situation.

Spikes, while a liability against the pass, is pretty far down my list of "real" problems with the defense.
I didn't even notice Spikes on most passing plays. The guy I saw really getting burned was Gary Guyton.

Some people just don't like Spikes because he hates the Patriots.

Which completely exposed Spikes! Two deep safeties, CB playing under ... yeah a guy that can't move responsible for the middle! If anything, you have to put some of the blame on the coaches for putting him in this situation.

Movement wasn't the problem. Go back and watch again. They had the linebackers dropping too far back.

Another brilliant 2nd round pick from the genius BB.

Someone please get him out of the draft room...

Spikes is not the problem. Spikes is a run defender and is fine as our first down MLB. Spikes should not be playing on passing downs. We knew that when we drafted him.

If you are thinking of the first Steelers drive, that was by design. On the next drive, they put Spikes in man-free over the zone, and Miller was limited to one catch. Spikes broke up two passes to Miller IIRC.

The fact that Spikes had the green dot helmet suggests that BB just doesn't quite see things the same way you do.

Oh crap. I was going to say all we have to do is cut Spikes, the real problem, and we have a shut down defense.

But you had to ruin it for me with real information. ;)

He is good against the run..but from here on out teams are going to pass 40+ times on us..he is going to look horrible the rest of the year

Another brilliant 2nd round pick from the genius BB.

Someone please get him out of the draft room...
There are a lot of people still in denial, 33 picks in the last 4 years and what do we have to show for all the trading down etc... We still have people congratulating BB when he cuts a player because he doesn't live with a mistake. Then there is the owners who will bust players balls just for a fair contract and in their mind if the highest dollar contract is what the player wants this isn't the place for him, really the Krafts are all about the last dollar it's just funny hearing that comment from him. They love to use the value word which is a code for not paying market value. One more thing BB is a great coach and he has been trying to rebiuld the defense then why won't he draft some people that can rush the passer, because if he had that maybe guys like Butler and Wheatly might still be on this team. They don't want to pay people like Peppers when they are available. They won those 3 superbowls with low payrolls and now they still haven't figured it out yet you have to pay for star players, draft them and develope them. There is something really wrong in Foxboro and they have been living off of Brady what happens if he goes down or retires.

Can this limitation really have been 'exposed' when everyone has known about it since the day he was drafted?

You are right, one player caused the loss!

The Steeler's playing well had nothing to so with it... :rolleyes:

Spikes is not the problem. Spikes is a run defender and is fine as our first down MLB. Spikes should not be playing on passing downs. We knew that when we drafted him.

The problem is that there's nothing stopping a good team from passing when he's in.

The problem is that there's nothing stopping a good team from passing when he's in.

There was nothing stopping the Steelers from passing when he wasn't, so what's your point?

There was nothing stopping the Steelers from passing when he wasn't, so what's your point?

If you're trying to base your personnel off of the old paradigm that teams will run on 1st and 2nd, and then pass on 3rd, you'll get burnt against teams multifunctional enought to pass or run on downs that don't conform when you think they should.

Spikes is fine for depth but I want someone that plays the run and the pass.

or when he's out.

If your whole pass defense depends on a run stopping MLB, you're toast anyway.

Last edited:
If you're trying to base your personnel off of the old paradigm that teams will run on 1st and 2nd, and then pass on 3rd, you'll get burnt against teams multifunctional enought to pass or run on downs that don't conform when you think they should.

Spikes is fine for depth but I want someone that plays the run and the pass.

If it was easy to just go out there and find big, strong linebackers who are monsters against the run and can still shut down the pass, the Patriots would have half a dozen of them.

While you're making your wishes, ask for a pony, too.

If it was easy to just go out there and find big, strong linebackers who are monsters against the run and can still shut down the pass, the Patriots would have half a dozen of them.

While you're making your wishes, ask for a pony, too.

A linebacker doesnt need to be a monster in order to stop the run, being so big will also limit mobility. Is there a particular reason why you feel the need to be rude?

Yup!

We might consider that Molden, Adams and Ihedigbo might be more responsible for the success of a passing team against us than our MLB.

or when he's out.

If your whole pass defense depends on a run stopping MLB, you're toast anyway.

A linebacker doesnt need to be a monster in order to stop the run, being so big will also limit mobility. Is there a particular reason why you feel the need to be rude?

1.) There was nothing rude about my post.

2.) Spikes was brought in to be an ILB in the 3-4. He showed promise doing that. This year, he got a late start and is being asked to play MLB in the 4-3. You might want to take that into account when you make your comments.

3.) As I pointed out, Pittsburgh wasn't having any problem passing when Spikes wasn't in the game either.

In other words, your point is not novel, complete, or particularly insightful.

1.) There was nothing rude about my post.

2.) Spikes was brought in to be an ILB in the 3-4. He showed promise doing that. This year, he got a late start and is being asked to play MLB in the 4-3. You might want to take that into account when you make your comments.

3.) As I pointed out, Pittsburgh wasn't having any problem passing when Spikes wasn't in the game either.

In other words, your point is not novel, complete, or particularly insightful.

- A run stopping LB who can't cover is a liability against good teams who can pass, no, that isn't an original thought, others have come to that conclusion before me, what is shocking is that you don't seem to grasp the importance of it. A LB like Spikes might be useful in the regular season but he'll get you burned in the playoffs.

- Did it occur to you that Spikes isn't the only weak link in our defense's ability to cover?

- Your pony comment wasn't rude, really? Shove it!

Last edited:
The Steelers exposed Spikes for what he is ... a liability. He cannot cover anyone ... He is too slow and if the opposition is not running the ball he is not a factor. How many catches did Miller have in the soft zone? How many Steelers ran free under the MLB and within the 5yards that you can legally hit a player? Put Mayo back at MLB and put Cunningham (he either produces or you cut him) or Guyton at the other LB spot.

No offense, but you need to go back an re-watch the game. The Pats had no intention of covering the TEs with a LB to start the game. They were blitzing the LBs. To sit there and say that Spikes is the issue and blame him for something that wasn't his responsibility is irresponsible on your part.

That being said, Spike is a liability in the passing game. You aren't saying anything other people haven't stated a numerous times.

What is laughable is that you think that Guyton should be on the field. The guy is horrible. He makes Spikes look good in pass coverage. The only reason he got that interception is that it was thrown right to him..

Your statements about Cunningham are irresponsible as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes