PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes: healthy scratch, injured, not yet in game shape, or ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Powwww###
Spikes suiting up today will force me right into sweatpants

Was glad that NE was able to get him in the draft. Was satisfied with his production last year preceding the suspension. Was not phased about the vids that popped up on the internet.

I am concerned about all this chatter of the field - the ridiculous tweets and whatnot - not because I care about it, but rather because I wonder how focused he is about getting on the field, learning about opponents, getting ready.

If you were told one of the two following stays late to study and prepare and the other leaves the stadium ASAP after practice who would you put in each category : Fletcher, Spikes. I am not in the locker. If I am way off, I apologize in advance. Educated guess : in terms of "football is important to me", Spikes ranks towards the lower end of the "Patriots current roster spectrum".

I may be wrong, I fear I am right. That's the problem.

What would happen to the board if Spikes is active and Fletcher is inactive this week?

What would happen to the board if Spikes is active and Fletcher is inactive this week?

People would point out how benching isn't supposed to happen to a 2nd rounder? When they should be happy that the Pats get players from everywhere.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be fine because it would mean that he is ready to produce and that BB is confident he would.

If there is a problem here's to hoping his cousin Takeo sets him on the straight and narrow.

Just read this whole thread (why do I do this to myself)? Talk about overreaction. From what I see as the facts:
  • Spikes was injured and couldn't practice during camp
  • Spikes uses Twitter
  • Spikes wasn't active last week to cover Reggie Bush
I replayed the DVR and saw at least one, maybe two instances where Mayo had to run Bush down from behind and struggled to rein him in. No question Bush would have been gone if Spikes had to cover him.

Guyton, who ran well with Fasano and had good coverage, was unable to stop a great pass and catch.

So playing Miami as a MLB was all about Bush and Fasano and our fast LBs had their hands full.

Maybe there are better matchups this week, against Tolbert running inside. But maybe they want Guyton on Gates. Maybe a safety and Guyton. I don't know, that's why I'm not the coach. But despite Spikes apparently forgetting how to be a good LB in this forum, I suspect he still has some of the best instincts and recognition skills, second only to Mayo, and can shed a block and thump a RB or a FB like no other LB on the team.

When that's what they need, that's when he'll play.

P.S. Evidence that benching Spikes was the right decision last week? Miami abandoned the run at the one yard line. Don't expect every team to be that helpless running the ball.

I just saw a Tweet from Spikes at 12:38 AM. I'd think that the night before a game he'd be trying to get some sleep. Then again, a few other Pats are Tweeting after midnight.

My god they are grown men. I go to be after 11 every night and get up at 5 every morning. They have a 4pm game today. If they go to bed at 1 they can be up at 10 and still get 9 hours of sleep, is that enough.

My god they are grown men. I go to be after 11 every night and get up at 5 every morning. They have a 4pm game today. If they go to bed at 1 they can be up at 10 and still get 9 hours of sleep, is that enough.

It was an observation and I could be off base, but that's my opinion. At close to 1 AM, I think he should be in bed. I'm assuming that the Pats still stay at a local hotel for home games. If they do, I'd also assume they have a bed check. If this isn't the case, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know. Thanks.

It was an observation and I could be off base, but that's my opinion. At close to 1 AM, I think he should be in bed. I'm assuming that the Pats still stay at a local hotel for home games. If they do, I'd also assume they have a bed check. If this isn't the case, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know. Thanks.

Settle down, Mom.

Just another 2nd round B-U-S-T from BB like

Adrian Klemm
Bethel Johnson
Marquise Hill (RIP)
Chad Jackson
Terrence Wheatley
Darius Butler
Ron Brace (no dobut at this point)
Jermaine Cunningham (won't make the team next year)

A guy is who started as a rookie is now a bust because he missed one game?

A guy is who started as a rookie is now a bust because he missed one game?

Being a healthy scratch is never a good sign. Remember what happened to Adalius Thomas? I won't be shocked if Spikes gets released next offseason.

Being a healthy scratch is never a good sign. Remember what happened to Adalius Thomas? I won't be shocked if Spikes gets released next offseason.

He missed almost the whole preseason with an injury. Maybe BB felt he wasn't in good enough game shape yet? The game didn't really suit his style anyway. The Fins running game is a joke right now.

If you observe BB carefully you'll notice that he fields a roster that is selected for the game plan against the opponent. A coming off injury Spikes, not the fastest LB, would be a BAD coaching choice for the game roster against Reggie Bush, if faster LBs (Guyton, Fletcher) were healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back