PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes: healthy scratch, injured, not yet in game shape, or ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Spikes?

Wow, some of you guys are awfully quick to throw Spikes aside. I think rumors of his demise may be greatly exaggerated. jmho

I'd love that to be true, but one thing I've started to think about BB is that there is rarely a persistent amount of smoke without fire (ADT, Maroney, Meriweather, Tate).

Not too many examples in the other direction I can think of.

I think there's legitimate reason to be concerned -- and it's exactly that, concern. Not "hating," not "wanting him gone," but concern that a player who started with tremendous promise a year ago seems to be in a weird place now. Honestly, before the season did any of you envision Spikes being a healthy scratch -- ever?

Yes, it could have been a scheme issue. If so, I'll be mighty reassured to see him on the field and productive soon.

Spikes was inactive because he's a gigantic maniacal head case who hates the Patriots and everyone associated with them, including himself.

I think there's legitimate reason to be concerned -- and it's exactly that, concern. Not "hating," not "wanting him gone," but concern that a player who started with tremendous promise a year ago seems to be in a weird place now. Honestly, before the season did any of you envision Spikes being a healthy scratch -- ever?

Yes, it could have been a scheme issue. If so, I'll be mighty reassured to see him on the field and productive soon.

This is exactly right. I really don't want him gone. I think he is very talented and shows great promise but you have to be concerned about anyone that can't get onto the field, especially if they are healthy.

Wow, some of you guys are awfully quick to throw Spikes aside. I think rumors of his demise may be greatly exaggerated. jmho

When it's good news from the preseason or early on in the regular season, and people get excited, they're told to calm down. It doesn't mean much.

When it's bad news from the preseason or early on in the regular season, people just eat it up and dump all over the guy, based on speculation and third hand reporting.

In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised
Not to plan my funeral before the body dies, yeah
Come the morning light, it's a see through show
What you may have heard and what you think you know,

Felger was talking about Spikes today.

He read a few of his tweets.

Something like this......

He has also may a few tweets about being in Hell.

I have a feeling Spikes in not a happy camper and ranger Bill
is not going to give him a pass because he was a 2nd round pick.

If I heard he got traded, I would not be suprised.

apollo11newspaper2.jpg

-

Why do you characterize him as a "healthy scratch"? Do you have a source?

Oh dear. ANOTHER second round bust?

Felger was talking about Spikes today.

He read a few of his tweets.

Something like this......

He has also may a few tweets about being in Hell.

I have a feeling Spikes in not a happy camper and ranger Bill
is not going to give him a pass because he was a 2nd round pick.

If I heard he got traded, I would not be suprised.

I interprested the welcome to hell tweet as a reference to training camp. Players often *hate* camp with a passion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4701682/spikes-sparks-up-social-media-chatter

"All that really means is just that we're in a crazy world. It's a cold world, people do anything -- rob, steal, kill. A lot of times you just think about it and look around at what's going on, and turn on the news, and me personally, I pay attention to that type of stuff. That's all that really is," he explained of his Twitter location.

"I'm happy to be here, the opportunity. I'm with a great team, a phenomenal coach. I'm excited. Hopefully I have a long career here."

Spikes was asked about using social media like Twitter to interact with fans.

"I think the Twitter is kind of fun for the outside world to just kind of see how we are," said Spikes, who often follows up his tweets with the hashtag #Powwwwwww. "I just kind of say what's on my mind. Some stuff, you can't really look all into it. I know people get mad at me when I put Lakers stuff up, but I've been a Lakers fan for years, so it's no disrespect. I know the fans here are pretty tough, but I kind of like it, and they get a kick out of it, too. So it's cool. ... I like to play around. I have a decent sense of humor, and stuff like that. That's why I say, don't read too much into it."

As for why he didn't play yesterday, remember that there's probably not a worse LB in the NFL to pick to cover Bush than a hobbled Spikes.

Last edited:

I don't think that means it wasn't a conditioning issue. Spikes missed almost all of training camp and pre-season.

Additionally, all the talk related to Dane Fletcher having passed him on the depth chart is way to premature. There is no depth chart at this point, obvious some guys are stars and will always play when healthy, and Spikes is not one of those players. Week 4 and beyond we will see who really is part of the Pats depth chart.

Bruschi was on EEI today, he implied that Spikes might have an 'attitude' problem when the healthy scratch was brought. They discussed Spikes 'not buying into the system' and that Guyton and Fletcher have bought in.

I hadn't been concerned about Spikes before I am concerned about his future here now.

Bruschi was on EEI today, he implied that Spikes might have an 'attitude' problem when the healthy scratch was brought. They discussed Spikes 'not buying into the system' and that Guyton and Fletcher have bought in.

I hadn't been concerned about Spikes before I am concerned about his future here now.

Bias Alert: Bruschi has previously confessed his man love for Fletcher

Last edited:

It seems BB have more man love for him than he does Spikes, maybe he's onto something.

Both Spikes and Cunningham are becoming a bit of a disappointment this year.

From that article: "I think [Spikes is] like a lot of players -- they’re here, they’re out there, they’re performing, they’re practicing, they’re doing their best to try to put themselves in a position to play on Sunday. So, he's like any other player that’s on the roster; he’s no different." - Nick Caserio

isn't that what belichick said about meriweather before releasing him? :eek::eek:

with that said, spikes had 68 tackles last year as a rookie. let's not give up on him. when he plays well, the patriots are stout against the run.

Bruschi is terrific with insights about the football life, Belichick, and what he sees on the field. When it comes to personnel issues, though...well, remember that Tedy was jumping up and down about drafting Sergio Kindle, and assured us that Logan Mankins would never wear a Patriots uniform again.

Ah, nevermind, this time he's RIGHT about Fletcher because I feel the same way! :D

(Wait a second...can a woman have "man love" for a player? But surely it's not "woman love," that's...umm....help, vocabulary emergency!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back