PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes Given the Green Light . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news! Let's hope he provides the boost that he and Chung gave the D late last season.

Great to have Hightower signed and Spikes cleared for training camp. Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Ninkovich, Fletcher and Carpenter should be the most versatile group of LBs in the NFL. This should really be a position of strength for the team.

The talk last training camp was how he was lighting things up before he got injured. I knew he was injury prone because we attended UF at the same time, but some argued with me when I posted that. That's really his main issue, IMHO. He has the tools, albeit lacking in speed. Mentally, he's always been a bit of a loose cannon, but I think that's what makes him the kind of player he is on the field. Also, I think you want controlled chaos from your linebackers. I think all the greats had/have the right amount of "unstable."

Last edited:
Excellent, I loved this guy's play during the SB and I really hope he continues to improve and emerge as a leader on the D. Now the sooner Mankins and Vollmer are back in playing condition the better.

The talk last training camp was how he was lighting things up before he got injured. I knew he was injury prone because we attended UF at the same time, but some argued with me when I posted that. That's really his main issue, IMHO. He has the tools, albeit lacking in speed. Mentally, he's always been a bit of a loose cannon, but I think that's what makes him the kind of player he is on the field. Also, I think you want controlled chaos from your linebackers. I think all the greats had/have the right amount of "unstable."

Except Spikes hasn't been really injury prone. He had injuries last year, but he was fine his rookie season.

Yeah, there were the unsubstantiated rumors that he suffered a major injury playing basketball last offseason, but the rumors were never confirmed and he was in camp last year.

Last edited:
Except Spikes hasn't been really injury prone. He had injuries last year, but he was fine his rookie season.

Yeah, there were the unsubstantiated rumors that he suffered a major injury playing basketball last offseason, but the rumors were never confirmed and he was in camp last year.

Yeah, Rob, but remember he didn't finish camp. He started strong but was held out quite a bit during the the second half of it due to some undisclosed injury (and that, IIRC, was confirmed). We'll see what's up this season, but don't be surprised if he misses time.

I'm pretty pumped that he's been cleared to practice. If the team can make it through training camp relatively healthy up the middle of the defense I think we can expect a much improved D to start the season. Building the lines of communication and trust is huge early on and that was lacking last year with so many of the players in the middle of the defense in and out of the lineup. Spikes provides the firey emotion for the D while Mayo is more of the field general I think. Throw in Hightower and I'm excited to see what the group can do.

This should make the LB battles all the more interesting to watch. In order of interest, here are the TC battles that everyone should be watching (IMO, of course)...

1. WR
2. C
3. CB
4. LB
5. LG (with Mankins' injury)

This should make the LB battles all the more interesting to watch. In order of interest, here are the TC battles that everyone should be watching (IMO, of course)...

1. WR
2. C
3. CB
4. LB
5. LG (with Mankins' injury)

Mine list looks more like this:

1. WR (Will Branch hold on? What about Stallworth?)
2. LB (So many bodies, so much competition. Does Hightower look the part and where does he line up?)
3. CB (How does McC look? How does Dowling look? Will Sterling Moore stick?)
4. S (Depth. Does Tavon Wilson silence the critics early on?)
5. The whole offensive line (Color me a bit nervous about this group.)

Last edited:
Yeah, Rob, but remember he didn't finish camp. He started strong but was held out quite a bit during the the second half of it due to some undisclosed injury (and that, IIRC, was confirmed). We'll see what's up this season, but don't be surprised if he misses time.

The thing is being held out in camp and the preseason isn't neccessarily as bad enough of an injury to hold a player out in the regular season though.

The thing is being held out in camp and the preseason isn't neccessarily as bad enough of an injury to hold a player out in the regular season though.

But that does not mean a player can't be labeled "injury prone." Just because you play through the injury doesn't mean you didn't sustain the injury. Spikes was hurt often at UF, but he played through it mostly. As much as we love that in a player, we also have to admit that having an injured player on the field likely means we're not getting the best that player has to offer. Think Jerod Mayo in 2009 and 2011 (IIRC).

Last edited:
But that does not mean a player can't be labeled "injury prone." Just because you play through the injury doesn't mean you didn't sustain the injury. Spikes was hurt often at UF, but he played through it mostly. As much as we love that in a player, we also have to admit that having an injured player on the field likely means we're not getting the best that player has to offer. Think Jerod Mayo in 2009 and 2011 (IIRC).

UF's defense often took a dip when Spikes was off the field as well. :(

UF's defense often took a dip when Spikes was off the field as well. :(

Yup. He was the heart and soul of the D. He made many of the impact and timely plays and, unlike a lot of college greats seemingly, he never disappeared on the big stage. That's why it didn't surprise me that he was one of the best players throughout the playoffs and especially in the SB.

Yup. He was the heart and soul of the D. He made many of the impact and timely plays and, unlike a lot of college greats seemingly, he never disappeared on the big stage. That's why it didn't surprise me that he was one of the best players throughout the playoffs and especially in the SB.

The only time he was really contained (and I blamed the DT for letting the center or the guard get out on him so fast) was in the 2009 SEC Championship game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes