PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes at ILB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWhalers

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
From www.profootballweekly.com:

We hear that LB Takeo Spikes’ future with the Bills may be in doubt following GM Marv Levy’s comments that Spikes’ 2006 season was not on a par with what he had done in the past, despite the fact that Spikes was coming back from a torn Achilles and was hampered by a hamstring injury. Word is the team isn’t sure if Spikes can be the kind of attacking linebacker that he once was, and that is the best fit for him in the team’s cover-2 defensive scheme.

I doubt we'd have a shot at trading for him, seeing as how he's with a division rival.

That said, though, the guy is a moose. 6' 2", 242 lbs. Who knows where he is injury-wise, but he's smart enough and big enough to play inside for the Pats. Bruschi/Seau/Spikes sounds great inside with Colvin/Vrabel/TBC outside, doesn't it?

I doubt we'd have a shot at trading for him, seeing as how he's with a division rival.

That said, though, the guy is a moose. 6' 2", 242 lbs. Who knows where he is injury-wise, but he's smart enough and big enough to play inside for the Pats. Bruschi/Seau/Spikes sounds great inside with Colvin/Vrabel/TBC outside, doesn't it?

Some people will call me crazy, but I see Buffalo selecting Patrick Willis with their first round pick. I keep hearing the Bills will desperately need a CB, but Michael Coe CB Alabama State should be there for them in round 3. Even if they trade Willis McGehee(sp?), there is value in round 2 at RB, say Darius Walker Notre Dame.

Yea we talked about this last week and I totally agree with you.. Some people wanted fletchet but this guy is a monster when healthy.. He actually has the flexability to play any position on the line..

Whoops...I didn't see the older thread.

Mods - please merge as you feel necessary.

Whoops...I didn't see the older thread.

Mods - please merge as you feel necessary.

hahha.. No biggie, I should have rephrased that answer.. I hate seeing people make it an issue about having double posts.. We are all human :)

Update-

This Sunday's (3/10) Buffalo News says - "Conclusion: The financial picture is even further evidence that a trade of linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that’s space they probably want to use for several less expensive players."

article is here (warning - contains small market whining) http://buffalonews.com/213/story/29573.html

Hard to figure them trading Spikes here but just imagine if the Pats could sneak in a 3-way deal with another team to grab Spikes from them after they trade with Buffalo. He's got two years left on his deal; get him to restructure a bit and I'd give a fourth for him in a second, maybe even a third rounder. Lick your lips over this LB corps: Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas, Spikes, wow. If BB could keep Spikes healthy (like he did with Seau until the freak injury) we'd have a crushing rotation, by far the best group in the league. And then consider those LB's behind a top five D-line like ours, oh man, would we have fun next season.

Meanwhile, Buffalo might as well start looking at who the top five draft picks will be in 2008, as they continue to dismantle what was a pretty good D.

Update-

This Sunday's (3/10) Buffalo News says - "Conclusion: The financial picture is even further evidence that a trade of linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that’s space they probably want to use for several less expensive players."

article is here (warning - contains small market whining) http://buffalonews.com/213/story/29573.html

Hard to figure them trading Spikes here but just imagine if the Pats could sneak in a 3-way deal with another team to grab Spikes from them after they trade with Buffalo. He's got two years left on his deal; get him to restructure a bit and I'd give a fourth for him in a second, maybe even a third rounder. Lick your lips over this LB corps: Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas, Spikes, wow. If BB could keep Spikes healthy (like he did with Seau until the freak injury) we'd have a crushing rotation, by far the best group in the league. And then consider those LB's behind a top five D-line like ours, oh man, would we have fun next season.

Meanwhile, Buffalo might as well start looking at who the top five draft picks will be in 2008, as they continue to dismantle what was a pretty good D.

I read that small market stuff as poor reporting rather than a real issue since the Patriots and Bills both use the same model for paying players. The Patriots are not in the habit of maxing out and pushing off the cost of huge signing bonuses to future years. The Patriots, like the Bills, have a policy of paying to the cap, though I guess the reporter is right that New England has the option to do things the redskin way if it wanted, whereas Buffalo doesn't have that option.

Don't be surprised to see the Jets try and make a huge splash by going after Spikes. That would actually be huge for them, they would get a nice pass rusher and edge guy for themselves if they landed him.

Living in Bills territory I can tell you that last year Spikes was a shell of his former self after tearing his achilles the previous year. I'm not sure he's got much left. Many Bills fans believe Spikes will get released this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes