PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spending this years cap space ... Lets extend T Brown and Bruschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

jct

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
After unsucessful attempts to resign both Graham and Samuel, we should use up some cap space on resigning T Brown and Bruschi. These guys are top performers right now and would probably appreciate the extension at the fair hometown discount rate. Keeping TBC as a backup also looks good.
Next year we have 33M to spend on essentially 11 roster spots so we should target some quality FA pickups. I'd like to see that spent on our defense while picking Best Player Available in the draft.
Also it seems that unless performance picks up, Colvin, Vrabel and Faulk seem expensive for their current level of production.

jct said:
After unsucessful attempts to resign both Graham and Samuel, we should use up some cap space on resigning T Brown and Bruschi. These guys are top performers right now and would probably appreciate the extension at the fair hometown discount rate. Keeping TBC as a backup also looks good.
Next year we have 33M to spend on essentially 11 roster spots so we should target some quality FA pickups. I'd like to see that spent on our defense while picking Best Player Available in the draft.
Also it seems that unless performance picks up, Colvin, Vrabel and Faulk seem expensive for their current level of production.

I love Tedy and Troy, but no way should they be extended. Use the money to deal with Wilford and Warren before two guys who are probably three years away from hanging them up.

jct, while that's an admirable charitable idea, it's terrible in practice and will never happen. Tedy will be 35 when he becomes a FA after next year. Brown about the same age. Time moves on, sorry.

And Tedy said years ago he will never play for any other team. That's why he remains to be my fav Pat.

I can't see us extending either Bruschi or Brown but there are a couple players that we definately need to adress this season IMO. Those players are Daniel Graham and Asante Samuel. To my knowledge, the rest of the players still have at least another year remaining on their contract after this season. That doesn't mean I don't think some of them deserve and extension, I just don't see the Patriots approaching them about it just yet.

I just hope our front office leaves the lines of communication open

with Daniel Graham and Assante Samuel with regard to a possible

extension. One take it or leave it offer would not get the job done.

Did I miss something? :confused: Both Daniel and Asante have decided not to have an extension with us?

Yes so far........

WAY too early to give up on Graham and Asante, IMO.

Of course it is too early to give up. What's the point. We won't give up on a player until he is signed by another team. However, the patriots need to plan for a future with, and without, these players. Obviously, we have a Plan B at Tight End. We don't even have a reasonable Plan A at corner/nickel.

patsox23 said:
WAY too early to give up on Graham and Asante, IMO.

jct said:

Noble concept but flawed. Bruschi is signed through 2007 and #80 can be re-signed at veteran minimum if absolutely necessary.

I see Samuels and Graham as players I would like to see extended but will be replaceable if they leave. It might be time to start looking at some of the unsigned peripheral players, especially at LB where only 4 players are signed after this season. A few small moves like extending TBC and Alexander could be done with short money ($2-3 M for 2-3 years, couple hundred thousand up front). The value in being pro-active is that we would reduce the number of spots to fill in 2007 while retaining players with knowledge of the system. These players should not be looked upon as potential starts but provide could ST skills and help build a solid base to build from.

LBs signed (age at start of next season) – Bruschi (33), Vrabel (32), Colvin (30), Woods (24)
- average age 29.8

If they can't get something done with Asante/Graham this year I'd like to see them use the remaining cap space on bonus money for Seymour or Brady, freeing up cap space in future years. I'm not totally sure how it works, maybe someone more familiar can spell it out, but I think they can turn at least some of the signing bonus money into a roster bonus this year and remove that number from the cap hit going forward.

jct said:

Brown is on a year to year basis at this point in his career. There is absolutely no need to extend Brown. As long as he has got enough in the tank to earn a roster spot AND wants to keep playing, he'll be a Patriot. Regarding TB, it is not quite the same case, however, it has some similarities. He is getting a little long in the tooth but he is a Player and a Patriot. If he wants to play and still is capable, he has a spot on this team. The Patriots will pay him a relatively fair amount for those services too. The need to extend Brown, and likely TB, is just not there. I just don't see any extensions happening with the exception of Samuel. Graham is a goner imho. No way the Patriots will pay what some other team is willing to pay (which is likely overpay). I think Samuel has the better chance to extend or resign. My gut tells me the Patriots aren't going to get much of a discount if they want to though.

Extend Troy? Cmon man, he is still reliable but you dont extend guys who are turning 36 years old. I love Tedy and hopefully he'll be around a few more years but soon we'll need to draft some LB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back