PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speed or Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What do you see the Pats having more of as a team? The Bronco's have always been more of a speed team and the Steelers as a Power team.
I see the Pats somewhere inthe Middle.
The receivers of course need more speed for a deep threat and IMO the offensive line could use more power on the run.
When was the last time we returned a punk or kickoff for a TD?
Thoughts....

Execution is all that really matters

John Madden..."Thye patriots should run out the clock and pray for a miracles in OT"

Marshall Faulk,Isaac Bruce, Az Hakim, Ricky Proehl and some other all pro WR...footballs's best..Troy Brown executed in the last minute and the Rams got executed

basic football

Defensively power. If you don't believe me ask Donovan McNabb,
Kurt Warner and Gump(Manning).

Offensively, we were finesse while CW was our OC. But, are
starting to turn to more of a power team there too.

patsfaninpa said:
Defensively power. If you don't believe me ask Donovan McNabb,
Kurt Warner and Gump(Manning).

Offensively, we were finesse while CW was our OC. But, are
starting to turn to more of a power team there too.

The operative phrase to describe the Patriots is "...do what works..." because the Patriots are realists and recognize "...it is what it is ..." Weis used finesse because he didn't have the players to be a power or a speed team. The Pats coaches don't ask for any players to be what they are not, and insure failure and diapointment.

Now that the talent level on Offense is higher, even if PF2 doesn't beleive it, they can be a power running team and a finesse passing team. As their WR newcomers acclimate, they might even become more of a speed passing offense.

On Defense people forget that they are and always were a fundamental Defense. Stop the run; and "...bend don't break..." and wait for the screwup or great play. Go for the INT, but only when you have a backup deep.

Last edited:
I would have to say the Steelers are both, Joey Porter is pretty fast. if your slow in the NFL you're in trouble, but you can't get pushed around. I would say the broncos and steelers have attributes of both.

Brains....

and Charactor.......

When compared to teams like the Steelers, Broncos, Colts and Chargers, we're lacking in terms of speed. That's why execution is so important for us because we don't have a lot of players that can just compensate with athleticism.

Brains, heart, and power are all ahead of raw speed. Quickness definitely was too when Branch was here and Brown was closer to his prime; probably it still is.

Really, are there ANY positions on the field at which the Pats have above-average speed except TE, DL (big whoop), and OL? Well, they used to be above-average at K too, but Gost hasn't happened to need to tackle any speed returners yet that I can recall ...

Fencer said:
Brains, heart, and power are all ahead of raw speed. Quickness definitely was too when Branch was here and Brown was closer to his prime; probably it still is.

Really, are there ANY positions on the field at which the Pats have above-average speed except TE, DL (big whoop), and OL? Well, they used to be above-average at K too, but Gost hasn't happened to need to tackle any speed returners yet that I can recall ...

Gost already has a TD saving tackle in the preseason just like AV used to do when he was a young whiper snapper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes