PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculative question re: new contract length limit rule...

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement zombie

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but regarding draftees' contracts, I believe the new rule limits players selected in rounds 2+ to 4 year maximum deals. I believe a rule already existed which limited contracts for players taken in the latter round to 4 year max. deals, anyhow...

This brings me to what I have thought about in relation to the Pats and our draft this year. Specifically, how much (if at all) do you think this new rule will affect our draft board and/or the players we select? Will some players in the higher rounds now be of greater value to us in light of the fact that they can only be signed to 4 year deals after the first round? Might we be more reluctant to trade down from our first round pick (if we were ever interested in such a move in the first place) in light of this rule? Might certain draft prospects be given more or less relative value to us in light of this rule? How do you foresee this rule affect other teams' draft boards and activities on draft day? Etc.

This is entirely speculative, of course, but its something I've been thinking about. Perhaps this rule will have little affect on our draft. However, when I look at a few of our recent 1st round selected players like Seymour (6 or 7 year rookie contract?), Watson (ultimately signed for what...5 or 6?), Mankins (signed for 5 or 6, as well, did he not?), it leads me to believe that we feel strongly about our first round selections, and prefer to sign them to lenghy deals (for obvious reasons).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if teams try to trade up to #16 (the last slot at which a player can be signed to a 6-year deal) or to #32 (the last slot at which a player can be signed to a 5-year deal).

That is an interesting wrinkle I wasn't aware of. I recalled they had changed the signing limitations but just assumed 6 was eliminated period. Is this a transition or the way it will be for the length of this CBA? Could impact us this year if we want to trade up, or definitely next year if we want to unload #32. ;)

Miguel said:
It will be interesting to see if teams try to trade up to #16 (the last slot at which a player can be signed to a 6-year deal) or to #32 (the last slot at which a player can be signed to a 5-year deal).
I agree..that will be interesting to see if any teams try to grab that last 1st round slot...otherwise...4 year deals max??

It will be a factor in the decision process for some players on team boards, but it is unlikely to be the determining factor.

I'm with with Miguel. There are a few teams where contract length is very important. It will be interested to see whether those teams try to move up to 14-16 and up into the first round.

I have suggested before that we might want two first rounders, perhaps moving down from 21 and up from the second. However, I am not sure that bb and pioli are looking beyond 2009, so four years is fine.

Of course, the patriots are always in the mix to move up to 14-16 to get a top player on their board. Justice fits the bill; it depends on who drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back