PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Pats' possible interest in Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see a big physical threat like Boldin on the Pats. Moss is a finesse player, we need a bruiser who can chuck the DB's back and knock them on their ass and go over the middle.

We have a #1 receiver who has back issues and a #2 receiver who may never be back to what he was.

Now we want a #3 guy who has injury concerns?

That's inane to want this guy. :confused3:

A #3 guy? What? Your talking about someone who posted 1,000+ yards 5 out of 7 seasons (with those 2 years being injury shortened), 44 TD, 12.8 Y/R, averaging over 6 receptions and 79 yards a game.

He's a #1 guy on most teams and would be a damned good #2 on our team.

A #3 guy? What? Your talking about someone who posted 1,000+ yards 5 out of 7 seasons (with those 2 years being injury shortened), 44 TD, 12.8 Y/R, averaging over 6 receptions and 79 yards a game.

He's a #1 guy on most teams and would be a damned good #2 on our team.

You earn your keep here ... I stated it correctly.

The Pats need to go young like the Colts did with Collie and Garcon. Manning had the 2nd best year of his career with 2 rookie WR's[ I know Garcon was not a rookie, but he did not play much WR before this season]

The Pats need to go young like the Colts did with Collie and Garcon. Manning had the 2nd best year of his career with 2 rookie WR's[ I know Garcon was not a rookie, but he did not play much WR before this season]

Well, we do have Tate. Drafting a WR this year would be risky in the effect that there is a huge chance that he would not be effective in his rookie year (which is what we need). So, unless BB has full confidence in Tate making a strong return from his knee injury, we're going to need a #3 WR that can contribute immediately. This, more than likely, will not be found in the draft. Due to the complexity of our offense, I think it would be a safer move to try to make a play for a guy like Antonio Bryant.

Boldin is interesting. Antonio Bryant is interesting as well. The situation here is whether we draft and hope and get a proven guy and hope he gets the system.

Though the possibilities for getting Golden Tate get slimmer, I think the Patriots can get Blair White from Michigan State with their 3 2nd rounders.

YouTube - Blair White Top Ten Wide Receiver 2010 NFL Draft

Boldin is interesting. Antonio Bryant is interesting as well. The situation here is whether we draft and hope and get a proven guy and hope he gets the system.

Though the possibilities for getting Golden Tate get slimmer, I think the Patriots can get Blair White from Michigan State with their 3 2nd rounders.

YouTube - Blair White Top Ten Wide Receiver 2010 NFL Draft

Golden Tate would be the one guy that can come in with a significant knowledge of the system. However, I don't think we're getting him. WR is a need this offseason, but we have bigger needs to fulfill in the first round.

You earn your keep here ... I stated it correctly.

I'm sorry, I miss read what you meant by #3. In reality though, he'd be our #2. It is important that we have another receiver to lineup outside opposite Moss, he would be the perfect answer.

Well, we do have Tate. Drafting a WR this year would be risky in the effect that there is a huge chance that he would not be effective in his rookie year (which is what we need). So, unless BB has full confidence in Tate making a strong return from his knee injury, we're going to need a #3 WR that can contribute immediately. This, more than likely, will not be found in the draft. Due to the complexity of our offense, I think it would be a safer move to try to make a play for a guy like Antonio Bryant.

Plenty of rookie wideouts have made their mark for their respective teams recently why not here? Plenty of depth at wideout in this draft.

Plenty of rookie wideouts have made their mark for their respective teams recently why not here? Plenty of depth at wideout in this draft.

I'm not saying it can't happen. Just that our offensive system is one of the more complex systems in the NFL. The best performance by a rookie in our system since BB took over has been Branch, who caught (without checking) between 20-30 passes. He essentially put up Sam Aiken numbers. We're going to need more production than that out of our third receiver, especially if Welker is not 100% to start the year.

I'm not saying it can't happen. Just that our offensive system is one of the more complex systems in the NFL. The best performance by a rookie in our system since BB took over has been Branch, who caught (without checking) between 20-30 passes. He essentially put up Sam Aiken numbers. We're going to need more production than that out of our third receiver, especially if Welker is not 100% to start the year.

How about Julian Edleman with 37 and he wasn't even a wide receiver coming out. Im not saying we need to thrust one right into the number 3 receiver slot but we should draft one preferably in the second round whom we can groom into a number one type. Look at what the Giants did with Nicks, they didnt just throw him into the fire but towards the end of the season I think he was the number 3 or 4 and he was contributing nicely.

Sign Matt Jones!!!

Last edited:
How about Julian Edleman with 37 and he wasn't even a wide receiver coming out. Im not saying we need to thrust one right into the number 3 receiver slot but we should draft one preferably in the second round whom we can groom into a number one type. Look at what the Giants did with Nicks, they didnt just throw him into the fire but towards the end of the season I think he was the number 3 or 4 and he was contributing nicely.

I wouldn't be against drafting one at all. However, I would like for one to be picked up in free agency or through a trade as well. One that can come right in and contribute the way Stallworth did a couple of years ago. Whether it's Antonio Bryant, Vincent Jackson (unlikely), Malcolm Floyd, or whomever else, I want to see a viable third option in there from Week 1 on. Edelman is awesome but he was not a viable third option at any point this season. That was SUPPOSED to be Sam Aiken. That said though, I'm excited to see what Edelman does in his second year.

Sign Matt Jones!!!

I was on this bandwagon earlier in the season and a couple of weeks ago. He could be had dirt cheap. It just depends on whether or not he has kicked his bad habits and has stayed in shape.

I wouldn't be against drafting one at all. However, I would like for one to be picked up in free agency or through a trade as well. One that can come right in and contribute the way Stallworth did a couple of years ago. Whether it's Antonio Bryant, Vincent Jackson (unlikely), Malcolm Floyd, or whomever else, I want to see a viable third option in there from Week 1 on. Edelman is awesome but he was not a viable third option at any point this season. That was SUPPOSED to be Sam Aiken. That said though, I'm excited to see what Edelman does in his second year.

I hear you, Sam Aiken didnt do Sh*t with single coverage and I want a free agent wideout as well but some young blood is needed as Moss is going to be 33 next season.

I was on this bandwagon earlier in the season and a couple of weeks ago. He could be had dirt cheap. It just depends on whether or not he has kicked his bad habits and has stayed in shape.

Between Matt Jones, Kevin Walter, Kassim Osgood, Dominik Hixon, and TO, we could have a very stacked receiving corp for a few years. We don't need big names, they'll cost too much and the risk is too high, if Manning can get guys like Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie to be playmakers we should be more than capable with those guys. Just beef up the O-line, maybe tune up the running game with Toby Gerhart, and we'd be set on offense.

I wouldn't be against drafting one at all. However, I would like for one to be picked up in free agency or through a trade as well. One that can come right in and contribute the way Stallworth did a couple of years ago. Whether it's Antonio Bryant, Vincent Jackson (unlikely), Malcolm Floyd, or whomever else, I want to see a viable third option in there from Week 1 on. Edelman is awesome but he was not a viable third option at any point this season. That was SUPPOSED to be Sam Aiken. That said though, I'm excited to see what Edelman does in his second year

I dont think they wanted Aiken to be the 3rd, circumstances dictated, hes great on SP. We drafted a pretty good WR but he got hurt in camp, anyone know his status, his name escapes me at this hour. We had a LB that looked good and he got hurt and was out for the year also, his name escapes me too.

Last edited:
I dont think they wanted Aiken to be the 3rd, circumstances dictated, hes great on SP. We drafted a pretty good WR but he got hurt in camp, anyone know his status, his name escapes me at this hour. We had a LB that looked good and he got hurt and was out for the year also, his name escapes me too.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Brandon Tate is the WR in question and McKenzie is the LB in question.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Brandon Tate is the WR in question and McKenzie is the LB in question.

Thnaks, tired brain tonight, not being sarcastic, just saying we may have Tate as an option next year and Mckenzie was a good prospect, two less players we would have to look for if they come back, I think Tate's chances are better at contrbuting next year than McKenzie but I've been busy lately and havent kept up on all things Patriots. I'm more asking the question if anyone knows Tates status.

Thnaks, tired brain tonight, not being sarcastic, just saying we may have Tate as an option next year and Mckenzie was a good prospect, two less players we would have to look for if they come back, I think Tate's chances are better at contrbuting next year than McKenzie but I've been busy lately and havent kept up on all things Patriots. I'm more asking the question if anyone knows Tates status.

Well, he's recovering from injury. Ideally, I'd like to see a vet like the one's I've already mentioned picked up so we can slide Tate into the slot to trade downs with one of Edelman or Welker (should Welker still not be 100%). IMO, we can get a freak at the WR position with our 2011 pick (either one of A.J. Green or Julio Jones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back