PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Pats' possible interest in Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of a 3rd rounder plus Adalius for Boldin. Wonder if Zona would be interested with Dansby being a FA.

Talent wise, if we could give a 2nd rounder and get Marshall or Boldin, I think almost everyone would take Marshall. However, a lot of people on this board don't think the Pats would go after a guy like Marshall due to his legal problems, problems with coaches, and him wanting to strike it rich.

Therefore, Boldin is the more realistic option, and a good one at that. I don't see how the Cardinals can have any leverage at this point. Breaston and Doucet have come along nicely, and Boldin only has one year left on his deal. They know he's going to be taking off after the 2010 season, so they might as well get what they can now.

I don't know if Boldin wants to be paid like a #1, but I think he feels he deserves a raise in salary. When the Cards sign Fitzgerald to a 4 year 40 million dollar extension with 30 million guaranteed, and Boldin is making 3 million per year, I could see him being upset. He feels like the team doesn't appreciate what he has done for them.

If we were to trade a 2nd rounder for him, I'd like to see him locked up for 2-3 years. I think he's the perfect #2 WR for our team. Then after 2010, when Boldin's cap hit increases, we let Moss walk and use one of our two first rounders on a Green, Jones, Baldwin, or Floyd. That would give us one of the aforementioned draftees, Boldin, Welker, Edelman, and hopefully a healthy Tate. That would be a great way to reload at WR, IMO.

Last edited:
Re: Speculation: Pats Possible Interest In Boldin

It's funny you mention the thing about Stallworth. I was thinking about the same exact thing in school today. I liked him a lot when he was here.

Agree with this, his speed and YAC were pretty damn good for a 3rd WR.

Our system is complicated as it is, Stallworth learnt it and done well. We could probably do with having a draftee backing up Moss/Stallworth at the outside WR position. Whereas Edelman and Welker have got the Slot covered for years to come.

I 100% do not want Boldin I want a guy who is a deep threat who teams have to respect on the deep ball teams will let him go with 1 on him in the middle and on underneath routs like with Welker everyone knew this season that Welker is the game maker for us yet still left him 1 on 1 more than Moss because they know Moss is the game breaker we don't need a 3rd possession receiver the only way i bring in Boldin is if Welker goes to IR.

When we had Stallworth teams had to respect the kid could beat you down field more times than he would loose downfield we need that again.

Wilfork will take a lot. Faulk will get a smaller veteran type of deal. TBC will not break the bank. Watson is gone no matter the cap or not. Mankins will cost a lot.

That is already a huge portion of that available $ and Tom Brady's new deal is going to take up a minimum of 20 million more of it.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a 3rd rounder plus Adalius for Boldin. Wonder if Zona would be interested with Dansby being a FA.

I don't know if Boldin wants to be paid like a #1, but I think he feels he deserves a raise in salary.
If we were to trade a 2nd rounder for him, I'd like to see him locked up for 2-3 years. I think he's the perfect #2 WR for our team. Then after 2010, when Boldin's cap hit increases, we let Moss walk and use one of our two first rounders on a Green, Jones, Baldwin, or Floyd. That would give us one of the aforementioned draftees, Boldin, Welker, Edelman, and hopefully a healthy Tate. That would be a great way to reload at WR, IMO.

Boldin wont stretch the field enough to help Moss a great deal. He is more like a bigger WW; his avgyds/catch is identical to WW's. There are better and cheaper options, imo.

Boldin wont stretch the field enough to help Moss a great deal. He is more like a bigger WW; his avgyds/catch is identical to WW's. There are better and cheaper options, imo.

We don't need another deep threat. We didn't even have enough time to go deep against good defenses this year. It's more important to find a guy to work the intermediate zone of the field, go over the middle, play with heart and passion, and be a leader. I think Boldin can do all of that. I can't think of a better fit for our need at WR, especially with his 3 million dollar salary.

Of our offense as a whole what was our biggest problem this past year? Converting in the red zone. What type of reciever is the best in the red zone? Big strong physical recievers that aren't afraid to run underneath. It's not about what wr compliments moss the best, it's about what wr compliments the team the best.

Of our offense as a whole what was our biggest problem this past year? Converting in the red zone. What type of reciever is the best in the red zone? Big strong physical recievers that aren't afraid to run underneath. It's not about what wr compliments moss the best, it's about what wr compliments the team the best.

Do you mean a tight end who Brady trust's?

That is already a huge portion of that available $ and Tom Brady's new deal is going to take up a minimum of 20 million more of it.

Really?!? If there is no cap, the Pats will have to spend about $40-45 million of real dollars to get 2009 real dollars level and another $20 million to get to their max. You do realize that they don't pay the entire contract the first year? Keven Faulk getting an one year deal for $1-2 million isn't going to get them there.

I know you don't want Boldin, but the facts aren't in your favor.

Moss has done well in the RZ and do you consider him a big strong physical receiver not afraid to run underneath? Plus, I thought we complained all yr that the lack of a 3rd WR allowed teams to smother Moss and made him ineffective.

Consider Antonio Bryant, he is a UFA #2 receiver with a better yd/catch avg than Boldin. Bryant had 4 td passes this year (same as Boldin) and 60% of Bryant's catches went for 1st downs with Jeff Frickin Freeman as his QB. Bryant will want #2 money, wont cost a draft pick (UFA) and he is on the worst team in the league. He is the same size as Boldin, too.

Or Malcolm Floyd, SD, should be considered. SD will have a hard time resigning both Floyd and V. Jackson to contracts after this year. Floyd's numbers are great too, and he is a UFA as well. He is 6'5" and 225 lbs!

Or Kevin Walter, a UFA who would cost less, shows great ability but is a good #2 WR. He is 6'3", 220lbs.

Why give up a draft pick when there are equally good options out there and probably for a lot less $$$.

Really?!? If there is no cap, the Pats will have to spend about $40-45 million of real dollars to get 2009 real dollars level and another $20 million to get to their max. You do realize that they don't pay the entire contract the first year? Keven Faulk getting an one year deal for $1-2 million isn't going to get them there.

I know you don't want Boldin, but the facts aren't in your favor.

Tom Brady would get 20 million in signing bonus minimum if he gets an extension. Culter and Eli both got close to that number. That is cash out the door in 2010. Wilfork would get double digits millions in signing bonus with a LT deal. Mankins very close to that as well. That would be over 40m right there in cash paid out this summer which puts the Pats cash paid out around 100m (the number of 2009) and you haven't come close to filling out the 53 man roster since you haven't addded anyone.

Now if the Pats don't intend to sign those 3 guys long term this offseason, they really have a ton of cash to spend on free agents. You can hold all 3 for another year with about 8-10m in cash paid out based on what I've read. They can go grab Boldin and pay him what he wants, sign Dansby and other free agents and stay well within their usual spending. They could possibly do that if they decide with the CBA uncertain that it is best to worry about 2011 free agents when the new rules are defined.

I did not read your post as you are thinking that the Pats will go that route since you said both Wilfork and Mankins will cost a lot. That isn't the case, especially with Mankins if they aren't getting long term deals.

You can't do both, lock up core guys like Brady, Wilfork, and Mankins long term and go out and sign a bunch of stud free agents or trade for guys who want new deals like they were free agents unless Kraft is ready to go really high in the cash he pays out in 2010.

He is definitely the TYPE of receiver that we need, but I'm not sure that right receiver for this team.

The media/fans have really been bashing Randy Moss this year. Do we really want another player of that mold. If Boldin is upset about playing second fiddle to Larry Fitzgerald, how would you think he would fair as third fiddle (assuming Moss comes back)?

See, what a lot of you are failing to understand is when you bring in a player such as Anquain Boldin you are also buying a "name". Defensive Coordinators know he is a very good player and they know they'll have to scheme more than just for Welker or Moss. You don't have to scheme against Sam Aiken.

Mentally selling your team is better and more equipped to the opposition is a big part in sporting psychology... and the players know it too.

As for the I/R & PUP for Welker, my mistake.. my brain wasn't working properly ;).

Last edited:
He is definitely the TYPE of receiver that we need, but I'm not sure that right receiver for this team.

The media/fans have really been bashing Randy Moss this year. Do we really want another player of that mold. If Boldin is upset about playing second fiddle to Larry Fitzgerald, how would you think he would fair as third fiddle (assuming Moss comes back)?

I don't think he'd have a problem with it. Welker may miss a good portion of the season so Boldin would be the #2 receiver. He could do a TON of damage with all the attention Moss gets. This could be Moss's last season on the team, so it's possible Boldin would become our #1 receiver in 2011+. Anyways his problem wasn't a lack of production, he wanted to get paid better. I would gladly give up $6+ million a year. We are desperate for receivers and he'd be a perfect fit (physical and a deep threat).

Tom Brady would get 20 million in signing bonus minimum if he gets an extension. Culter and Eli both got close to that number. That is cash out the door in 2010. Wilfork would get double digits millions in signing bonus with a LT deal. Mankins very close to that as well. That would be over 40m right there in cash paid out this summer which puts the Pats cash paid out around 100m (the number of 2009) and you haven't come close to filling out the 53 man roster since you haven't addded anyone.

Now if the Pats don't intend to sign those 3 guys long term this offseason, they really have a ton of cash to spend on free agents. You can hold all 3 for another year with about 8-10m in cash paid out based on what I've read. They can go grab Boldin and pay him what he wants, sign Dansby and other free agents and stay well within their usual spending. They could possibly do that if they decide with the CBA uncertain that it is best to worry about 2011 free agents when the new rules are defined.

I did not read your post as you are thinking that the Pats will go that route since you said both Wilfork and Mankins will cost a lot. That isn't the case, especially with Mankins if they aren't getting long term deals.

You can't do both, lock up core guys like Brady, Wilfork, and Mankins long term and go out and sign a bunch of stud free agents or trade for guys who want new deals like they were free agents unless Kraft is ready to go really high in the cash he pays out in 2010.

Why can't the Pats do both? Right now the Pats are about $60 million less committed than their highest year on record. The Pats have tons of cap room in future years right now (their estimated cap hit for 2011 right now is $57 million. The Pats have the flexibility right now not to give out all their bonuses this year and still push a lot of the bonus money into 2011 which would also minimize the risk of a work stoppage. I am sure if they extend Brady, he will not get all of his bonus money this year even if there is no cap. I am sure he will have a roster or signing bonus in 2011 to split up the money.

Sorry, but if the Pats choose to (and I am not saying they will), they have set themselves up to resign their key people and make a splash in free agency. Their current and future cap are in very good shape.

Now the question is whether these players will be willing to take less elsewhere with a team that will pay all the bonus money this year. It could be, but the rules of the uncapped year and the economy makes it unlikely that there will be many big spenders.

I do think the Pats and many other teams will still not put all their bonus money into this offseason because of an uncapped year. Kraft has indicated they are not going to leave themselves exposed like this. And I bet what he meant is that the Pats would put roster bonuses in 2011 to protect them from a retroactive cap and a work stoppage. Other teams will follow suit.

Although he's a great player and a tough SOB, he's been getting hurt ALOT, and I also personally think Boldin will want too much $.

Steve Breaston and Lance Moore are more what I had in mind, and they've BOTH had injury issues.

Q is a warrior, Id give up either of the later two 2nds to get him hear. I still want to draft a receiver though.

Honestly, its a pick your poison type deal. You want to bracket Moss? Okay well now we have Welker/Edleman or Q deep over the middle one on one. Aiken couldn't beat anybody one on one and when he did he rarely came down with the ball. Q will come down with it.

I think getting bolden would be a good move. All we lack is a few key guys away from being the elite team on the league and boldin is a fearless reciever who will go over the middle and stretch the field. The window is closing on this Brady led team so getting a key guy like bolden I say go for it.

We have a #1 receiver who has back issues and a #2 receiver who may never be back to what he was.

Now we want a #3 guy who has injury concerns?

That's inane to want this guy. :confused3:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back