PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Pats' possible interest in Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no cap this year and the Pats can work a deal that doesn't cost the Pats more than a second, who cares how much he costs if the Pats can afford him? As long as they can work it so there is no dead cap money next year if there is a cap, it isn't our money.

I think that those of us talking of the cost believe that even without a cap Bob Kraft is not suddenly going to turn into Daniel Snyder, that the budget without a cap will likely be very close to the same as it would with one, and that a big contract for Boldin would limit fixing the team's many other needs.

I just don't think with his age and his body looking like it is starting to break down it is a good move. If he were 26 and healthy I'd feel differently since I love his game.

So basically, most people on here want a perfect, young player for no money?

Cant get bolden, to beat up

cant get marshall, to much money

but but but we need a solid WR...how do you expect this to happen.

Get freaking Boldin or Marshall. Make it happen. I want to win NOW.

If Boldin could be had for a 2 rounder it would be a steal imo. He is a heck of a player. Hard worker. Tough and gritty. What's not to like.

Re: Speculation: Pats Possible Interest In Boldin

I'm Patjew and I approve this message.

Let's bring back the nasty.
Nasty? I am thinking Keith Bullock. I am thinking Aaron Kampman. I am thinking Mushin Mohammad, I am thinking Terrance Newman and although most think he is declining I am thinking Merriman.

(All naysayers...Would you rather have had Merriman or AD this year?)

How about Luis Castillo?

Now lets shock the site and get the pseudointellectual pair going, how about Urlacher for a couple years? There is some HEART and nastiness for ya. I think he could be had for a #2 rounder and perhaps a fourth. He is 32 and had an wrist injury, nothing in the legs.

How does this sound PJ. A linebacking core of Kampman and Bullock on the outside. Mayo and Urlacher in the middle. The swing men would be MacKensie and Guyton (Guyton in passing situations and Kampman goes to DE) . Bodden and Newman at CB with Butler the swing man and nickle and Merriweather and Chung at safety. Wilfork, Warren and Castillo on the line. Nasty enough for you?

Pck up nasty LenDale White as your downhill RB

Pick up either/or Wooten DE/OLB, Hardy OLB/DE and Gerhart (big HEART) RB Jon Asamoah G ("Just the intensity, just the nastiness, you have to be a tough guy out there," Asamoah said. "You can't accept getting beat. You can't be the one soft guy in the group.") and Eric Decker WR in the Draft (will drop because of arch injury not ACL but should be fine).
DW Toys

Last edited:

The draft.

All over the league, you see guys like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Johnny Knox, Mike Wallace, Deon Butler, Jermichael Finley, etc., catching balls. One and two year players are having success.

There's Mike Sims-Walker, Mario Manningham, Davone Bess, too!

We're talking about 10 players who are first or second year who are among the NFLs' top 50. That means 10 players who are solid #2 receivers (at least) and who were not taken in the first round, the last two years, so this list doesn't even include Percy Harvin, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Calvin Johnson.

The draft.

All over the league, you see guys like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Johnny Knox, Mike Wallace, Deon Butler, Jermichael Finley, etc., catching balls. One and two year players are having success.

There's Mike Sims-Walker, Mario Manningham, Davone Bess, too!

We're talking about 10 players who are first or second year who are among the NFLs' top 50. That means 10 players who are solid #2 receivers (at least) and who were not taken in the first round, the last two years, so this list doesn't even include Percy Harvin, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Calvin Johnson.

But then people would just say "we shouldnt pay these people first round money" or whatever.

we have 4 2nd rounders.i would rather build from the draft like the giants and GB did.

It doesn't make sense that you would rather gamble on a wr draft pick than trade for an established wr. Why take the risk?

Marshall is a cancer did anyone see the video of him punting a ball in practice? Anyone see the espn special on him about how he has been in like 5 domestic abuse cases? I guess if for these reasons we could get him here for a 4th round pick I might consider it (I will make my morals take a back seat if the deal is good enough).

I prefer they take their $ budgeted for outside FAs and go get a Dansby or another impact veteran on defense where it is badly needed while fixing the WR position with the draft and a lower cost veteran WR (which compared to the cash and picks you have to spend to get Boldin or Marhsall is everyone else).

Last edited:
If he could be had for a 2nd round pick, would you be interested?

No. He won't be available for a mere second round pick. Boldin's better than Tony Gonzalez. Atlanta gave up a second round pick for him. And New Orleans gave up a second and fifth round pick for Shockey. Conversely, Dallas gave up a first round pick in addition to a third and sixth round pick for Roy Williams. Arizona will ask for more than a second round pick. He's better than Roy Williams.

Last edited:
We have 4 draft picks in the first three rounds and about a dozen needs. They can't all be met with those four picks. Besides, some draft picks take a couple of years to develop. There are no guarantees that a pick will be produce, never mind in their rookie years.

I do agree that if our only real need was WR, then it MIGHT be best to draft two WR's and expect one to produce in 2010.

Finally, some positions are more easily filled in free agency than in the draft.

For example, I very much want us to draft a DE and an OG or two. We've done very well drafting at these positions in the past.

we have 4 2nd rounders.i would rather build from the draft like the giants and GB did.

Re: Speculation: Pats Possible Interest In Boldin

Nasty? I am thinking Keith Bullock. I am thinking Aaron Kampman. I am thinking Mushin Mohammad, I am thinking Terrance Newman and although most think he is declining I am thinking Merriman.

(All naysayers...Would you rather have had Merriman or AD this year?)

How about Luis Castillo?

Now lets shock the site and get the pseudointellectual pair going, how about Urlacher for a couple years? There is some HEART and nastiness for ya. I think he could be had for a #2 rounder and perhaps a fourth. He is 32 and had an wrist injury, nothing in the legs.

How does this sound PJ. A linebacking core of Kampman and Bullock on the outside. Mayo and Urlacher in the middle. The swing men would be MacKensie and Guyton (Guyton in passing situations and Kampman goes to DE) . Bodden and Newman at CB with Butler the swing man and nickle and Merriweather and Chung at safety. Wilfork, Warren and Castillo on the line. Nasty enough for you?

Pck up nasty LenDale White as your downhill RB

Pick up either/or Wooten DE/OLB, Hardy OLB/DE and Gerhart (big HEART) RB Jon Asamoah G ("Just the intensity, just the nastiness, you have to be a tough guy out there," Asamoah said. "You can't accept getting beat. You can't be the one soft guy in the group.") and Eric Decker WR in the Draft (will drop because of arch injury not ACL but should be fine).
DW Toys

Insert favorite 4 letter word here, YES! I would be a step beyond happy!:singing:

I think that those of us talking of the cost believe that even without a cap Bob Kraft is not suddenly going to turn into Daniel Snyder, that the budget without a cap will likely be very close to the same as it would with one, and that a big contract for Boldin would limit fixing the team's many other needs.

I just don't think with his age and his body looking like it is starting to break down it is a good move. If he were 26 and healthy I'd feel differently since I love his game.

Bob Kraft doesn't have to turn into Daniel Snyder. According to Michael Lombardi (who usually knows his stuff), the Patriots right now has one of the lowest payrolls going into the 2010 offseason than almost all the teams. That means they have room to spend a lot more just to spend as much as the top guys in the league are already spending before free agency already started.

According to Miguel's page, the Pats real dollar payroll (forgetting amortized signing bonuses) for the top 53 players on the roster is a little over $62 million (assuming my numbers are correct) in 2010 as of right now. According to USA Today, the Pats spent $97.5 million in real dollars in 2009, $92.7 million in 2008, $117.9 million in 2007, $105.1 million in 2006, and $94.4 million in 2005. So the Pats would have to spend about about $55 million in real dollars to spend more than their highest single season real dollar payroll. They will have to spend about $30 million to match their lowest actual dollar payroll over the last five years.

The Pats look to have plently of money to spend without turning into a Daniel Snyder run team.

Bob Kraft doesn't have to turn into Daniel Snyder. According to Michael Lombardi (who usually knows his stuff), the Patriots right now has one of the lowest payrolls going into the 2010 offseason than almost all the teams. That means they have room to spend a lot more just to spend as much as the top guys in the league are already spending before free agency already started.

According to Miguel's page, the Pats real dollar payroll (forgetting amortized signing bonuses) for the top 53 players on the roster is a little over $62 million (assuming my numbers are correct) in 2010 as of right now. According to USA Today, the Pats spent $97.5 million in real dollars in 2009, $92.7 million in 2008, $117.9 million in 2007, $105.1 million in 2006, and $94.4 million in 2005. So the Pats would have to spend about about $55 million in real dollars to spend more than their highest single season real dollar payroll. They will have to spend about $30 million to match their lowest actual dollar payroll over the last five years.

The Pats look to have plently of money to spend without turning into a Daniel Snyder run team.

How much do you think that number (30 Million) goes down when we resign Wilfork, Faulk, Watson and Tbc? How much more does it go down when we extend Brady?

I would love for us to make big splashes in the free agent market but I'm not convinced it will happen.

It doesn't make sense that you would rather gamble on a wr draft pick than trade for an established wr. Why take the risk?

Marshall is a cancer did anyone see the video of him punting a ball in practice? Anyone see the espn special on him about how he has been in like 5 domestic abuse cases? I guess if for these reasons we could get him here for a 4th round pick I might consider it (I will make my morals take a back seat if the deal is good enough).

The difference in my view is this: most receivers worth their salt don't end up as free agents. Slim pickings each and every year. There's always one guy available on the market (TJ Housmanzadeh or Derrick Mason and the like) but mostly the pickings are slim, and when a guy does arrive -- an established veteran, as you put it -- he is often set in his ways. Donald Hayes, Greg Lewis, Joey Galloway, Donte Stallworth, and a half dozen more, these guys haven't worked out.

I prefer they take their $ budgeted for outside FAs and go get a Dansby or another impact veteran on defense where it is badly needed while fixing the WR position with the draft and a lower cost veteran WR (which compared to the cash and picks you have to spend to get Boldin or Marhsall is everyone else).

Me too. Just landing a Dansby instantly improves so many things. Maybe Guyton moves to the outside, who knows? But that's the kind of difference you can count on.

Not just no, but hell no. This team does not need more "superstar" wide receivers.

If taking a risk and trading a second for a WR, I'd rather take on the risk of Marshall's attitude vs. Boldin's injuries. One is manageable; the other isn't.

How much do you think that number (30 Million) goes down when we resign Wilfork, Faulk, Watson and Tbc? How much more does it go down when we extend Brady?

I would love for us to make big splashes in the free agent market but I'm not convinced it will happen.

Wilfork will take a lot. Faulk will get a smaller veteran type of deal. TBC will not break the bank. Watson is gone no matter the cap or not. Mankins will cost a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back