PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Pats' possible interest in Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBelichickFan79

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
ESPN Insider NFL Rumors

ESPN's Adam Schefter says this is the year that Boldin will be traded.

ESPN's Michael Smith speculates that Boldin's price tag will be lower this year due to his age, injuries, and the emergence of Steve Breaston and Early Doucet as legitimate threats at WR.

The Patriots are listed as a possible team that would be interested in dealing for Boldin.

He's asked for a trade in previous seasons due to a contract extension dispute, stating that the Cardinals wouldn't reward him for his hard work.

A lot of people around here have been talking about going after Marshall, Evans, and V-Jax, but Boldin's name should also be added to the mix.

If he could be had for a 2nd round pick, would you be interested?

Personally, I would. I've been talking about getting a physical WR to line up opposite of Moss and work the middle of the field in the intermediate passing game. Boldin is the perfect candidate for this role IMO. He is tough as nails, physical, plays through injuries, fights through coverage, and sacrifices his body by going over the middle to make the catch.

He'd be the perfect addition at WR IMO.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
Contract Info:
7/31/2005 - Signed 4 year extension for $22.67 million
2010: $3 million
2011: Free agent

Seems like a bargain to me.

Last edited:
Re: Speculation: Pats Possible Interest In Boldin

When does his contract end? What are the remaining salaries?

Definitely interested in Boldin.

Before I am shot down, I'd also be interested to see what the NFL's position on Donte Stallworth, his contractual obligations and being allowed back into the NFL are. I have a feeling he would be dirt cheap and his output would match his contract this time around.

Last edited:

Definitely interested in Boldin.

Before I am shot down, I'd also be interested to see what the NFL's position on Donte Stallworth, his contractual obligations and being allowed back into the NFL are. I have a feeling he would be dirt cheap and his output would match his contract this time around.

It's funny you mention the thing about Stallworth. I was thinking about the same exact thing in school today. I liked him a lot when he was here.

I sure hope not. He is always injured. It would be an awful trade.

Last edited:

I sure hope not. He is always injured. It would be an awful trade.

He's been banged up due to his physical style of play, but he's on the field more often than not. This year he played in 15 out of 16 regular season games.

Last year against the Jets, that was a vicious collision between him and Eric Smith. I was at the game, the whole stadium went silent. They were both knocked unconscious if I remember correctly. He fractured his sinus and was back three weeks later, only missing two games. That's the type of football player I want on my team.

Last edited:

I mentioned this to a friend months ago

I'd like to see it.

Need another weapon at WR.

so maybe..

He's been banged up due to his physical style of play, but he's on the field more often than not. This year he played in 15 out of 16 regular season games.

Last year against the Jets, that was a vicious collision between him and Eric Smith. I was at the game, the whole stadium went silent. They were both knocked unconscious if I remember correctly. He fractured his sinus and was back three weeks later, only missing two games. That's the type of football player I want on my team.

I read he was practicing only a couple days after the hit occured. This guy is a trooper.

It's funny you mention the thing about Stallworth. I was thinking about the same exact thing in school today. I liked him a lot when he was here.
Well imagine if we could stock the receiver depth chart like this to start season 2010/2011.

1. Moss
2. Boldin
3. Stallworth
4. Tate
5. Edelman
6. Aiken
7. Stanback
8. Slater

I/R
Welker.

Last edited:

It would be cool seeing Boldin in a Pats uni, not at the expense of a Wilfork extension though.

Boldin is in the last year of his contract and he seems to have lost some speed and most of his routes are underneath almost like a bigger Wes Welker.

Pros:
Legitimate threat that other teams have to plan for
Help mitigate loss of Welker in short and intermediate passing game
Relatively inexpensive

Cons:
Physical style of play makes him susceptible to injury
Potential attitude mismatch with Pats
One-year rental (does not address long-term needs)

The cons as I see them are potential issues. The tangibles say that he would be a valuable asset for the passing attack. The only real con is the short term for which we would have him, and the false sense of security it might bring if the Pats have a monster passing year next season.

If that is the truth, I'll give up 2 number 2's... ok, maybe not, but we need some more of this type of hard nosed mentality on the team. It's contagious! Get him here, yesterday please!

Well imagine if we could stock the receiver depth chart like this to start season 2010/2011.

1. Moss
2. Boldin
3. Stallworth
4. Tate
5. Edelman
6. Aiken
7. Stanback
8. Slater

I/R
Welker.

That would be optimal. LOL. What a sick WR corps, with Welker hopefully coming back mid-season.

Pros:
Legitimate threat that other teams have to plan for
Help mitigate loss of Welker in short and intermediate passing game
Relatively inexpensive

Cons:
Physical style of play makes him susceptible to injury
Potential attitude mismatch with Pats
One-year rental (does not address long-term needs)

The cons as I see them are potential issues. The tangibles say that he would be a valuable asset for the passing attack. The only real con is the short term for which we would have him, and the false sense of security it might bring if the Pats have a monster passing year next season.

He'd definitely be a great asset for the 2010 season. I'd give up a 2nd rounder for him. As you said there aren't really any major cons, just potential ones. I think his attitude thing is overblown by the media. The guy feels it is unjust that he is making 3 million per year while Fitzgerald got the big pay day. After all he's done for that team, I can't really blame him for being upset.

I think if he came here and had a good year for us, he would want to stay and we'd want to keep him. I don't think he's a guy looking to break the bank, just looking to be rewarded for his hard work, which I respect. If for 2011 we re-signed Boldin, had a fully healthy Welker and Tate, and had Edelman, we could let Moss walk and use one of our two first round picks on an elite WR talent like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin, or Michael Floyd. I prefer Green or Baldwin, but would take any of those guys. They're all gamebreakers. I gotta relax, I'm starting to get ahead of myself :p

If that is the truth, I'll give up 2 number 2's... ok, maybe not, but we need some more of this type of hard nosed mentality on the team. It's contagious! Get him here, yesterday please!

Lol yeah you gotta respect a guy that plays with the kind of passion that Boldin plays with. He's one of the toughest WR's I've ever seen play. I love his style.

I read he was practicing only a couple days after the hit occured. This guy is a trooper.

I believe I read that somewhere too. The doctors said he wanted to get up and walk off the field himself, instead of being taken off on a stretcher, but they wouldn't let him.

A guy with that type of passion, toughness, and physicality is exactly what the Pats need at WR. Hopefully BB will kick the tires on Boldin. He'd look great in red, white, and blue.

1. Moss
2. Boldin
3. Stallworth
4. Tate
5. Edelman
6. Aiken
7. Stanback
8. Slater

I/R
Welker.

This would be ok with me :D

however, i would like to WW on the PUP instead of IR

boldin has not put together a full season in 4 years

If you're giving up a 2nd round pick for him, you want him for more than one year. The question then becomes the reasonableness of his contract demands. He was asking for too much out in Arizona.

we need all are draft picks this team has to many holes

get T.O he's a vet and will come chap just like the pats like im

randy moss, and T.O with Julian Edelman, in the slot untill welker, comes back if T.O shut he's mouth with the bills when they where not throwing him the ball and lost a lot of games im sure he will shut he's mouth on a playoff team with brady throwing him the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots