PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Patriots want to trade up for.... a wide receiver

Don't we already have this same exact topic in the main forum? I sense a thread merge coming.

Most folks think that we are fine at RB. Posters have stated that we have no problems All we need to do is draft next year's starter in the 6th or 7th round. I guess we'll draft his partner next year in the 6th. And perhaps one of the two 3rd down backs will be back, the one who was on IR almost last year, or the one who did nothing. If not, we'll just pick up a free agent or two.

I just don't get it.

Our current set of running backs is worse than last year, and none of them are contracted to play next year. I might mention that in the past few years, three running backs have walked, so I don't think that we should have great confidence that we will re-sign players at this position.

The running game may not matter much to some, but Belichick thought it important enough to use a 2nd and 3rd three years ago when he needed a backup and a future starter. I have no clue as to why folks think that Belichick will all of a sudden ignore the running back spots on the roster.

I personally don't buy Brandon Bolden as a quality starter and don't think he should be included whilst a Steve Beauharnais be excluded. But even if you do include Bolden, that still leaves three soon to be out of contract RBs, which after Blount this off-season is no guarantee that we'll have any RB on the roster next season. In my mind, that makes for a significant need.

By what stretch of the imagination is Bolden a "quality" RB?

They have 3 quality RB's for 4 spots and getting another one through the draft or remaining free agency is not going to be much of an issue. They have 3 quality LB's for 6 spots and even one injury puts them in the position of using player's who have no business starting at a position. I am not really concerned about the last roster spot at either position but as i see it right now they don't have anywhere near enough depth at LB whereas they have 3 guys who can and have started and produced at RB. That's my take on it.

I personally don't buy Brandon Bolden as a quality starter and don't think he should be included whilst a Steve Beauharnais be excluded. But even if you do include Bolden, that still leaves three soon to be out of contract RBs, which after Blount this off-season is no guarantee that we'll have any RB on the roster next season. In my mind, that makes for a significant need.

Fair enough, Bolden can start but isn't someone i would want to count on for a season, but other than that i think the patriots have their 2015 RB unit somewhere low on their list of priorities for this draft. They need 4 and have 3 under contract, and while they will add to that it isn't a priority. LB is another situation altogether, as the only player who is a proven high quality starter is Mayo, and while I like what both Collins and Hightower bring that doesn't mean they are anywhere close to set on the unit, and I think it will get more attention than any other unit on the team from here on out. We'll see how it shakes out over the next few months but that's how i see it.

Fair enough, Bolden can start but isn't someone i would want to count on for a season, but other than that i think the patriots have their 2015 RB unit somewhere low on their list of priorities for this draft. They need 4 and have 3 under contract, and while they will add to that it isn't a priority. LB is another situation altogether, as the only player who is a proven high quality starter is Mayo, and while I like what both Collins and Hightower bring that doesn't mean they are anywhere close to set on the unit, and I think it will get more attention than any other unit on the team from here on out. We'll see how it shakes out over the next few months but that's how i see it.

News today that Marquise Lee has been in for a visit. There seems to be some genuine interest there.

News today that Marquise Lee has been in for a visit. There seems to be some genuine interest there.
Can't knock the Pats for the visit. Could have been a top 5 pick last year.

Last edited:

Personally I think it's about as strong as the Patriots' interest in Vernon Gholston.

If we look at the ppl they have OV with - Many of those would have gone top 5 or 10 last year.

The Patriots will not Trade up for Mike Evans. I would be surprised if we had the 15th pick and traded up for him. I could see the Pats trading up for Kelvin Benjamin. He is sort of a hybrid WR/TE that could add good depth at WR and play TE. If they stay put I believe they should pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins if he's available. TE is a bigger need than WR.

HUH? Trade up for a guy who is no better than Mike Williams now of the Buffalo Bills and is rated as only the 10th best WR in the draft? Makes a lot of sense. Especially with the rumors flying around of him skipping a workout with a team and him running his mouth about taking plays off and such.. Furthermore, his hands/concentration are questionable because of the number of passes he drops..

OH, and did I mention that there are issues with whether or not he could learn the play book?

I think the biggest issue going forward for the team is replacing Brady. I think the team has too much talent to think we have a sub .500 year even with an injured Brady. That being said I think the strategy starts anew this year to trade out of the 1st to have 2 first round picks going forward for the year Belichick pulls the trigger on drafting a QB in the top half of the draft. For this year I see him drafting a QB later and signing at least 2 undrafted QB's going into camp with 3 noob QB's for now hoping to strike it rich again.

If we look at the ppl they have OV with - Many of those would have gone top 5 or 10 last year.

I think you have to have all of your bases covered depending on how the board plays out. In my opinion, that's the biggest purpose for these visits--not saying that they don't have most of these guys on their big board, just that they obviously know that a good portion of them won't be around, or that they'll be better options.

From my understanding, the NEP big board is significantly smaller than most of the other teams, as they only keep guys on there who can fit their wants/needs. Bringing in and working players out can help them to cross players off, bump them up higher, or know what the hell to do depending on how the board plays out.

HUH? Trade up for a guy who is no better than Mike Williams now of the Buffalo Bills and is rated as only the 10th best WR in the draft? Makes a lot of sense. Especially with the rumors flying around of him skipping a workout with a team and him running his mouth about taking plays off and such.. Furthermore, his hands/concentration are questionable because of the number of passes he drops..

OH, and did I mention that there are issues with whether or not he could learn the play book?
He's no better than Mike Williams? How can you be so sure of that? he's never played a snap in the NFL. And yeah, Rumors. I didn't know there was an established rating system of all the prospects that everyone should go by. I'm pretty sure you, I, and the patriots all have different opinions on him. Tom Brady was probably the "10th best rated QB" rated in his draft. Gronkowski wasn't the #1 rated TE of his draft class. Who cares where he is "rated".

I don't actually think Kelvin Benjamin is someone the Pats will trade up for. I did say that I could see it happening. Very unlikely, but I personally would find it interesting.

Also, a large body like Benjamin is exactly what Tom Brady needs, in my opinion. Imagine him and Gronk in the redzone.

Last edited:
He's no better than Mike Williams? How can you be so sure of that? he's never played a snap in the NFL. And yeah, Rumors. I didn't know there was an established rating system of all the prospects that everyone should go by. I'm pretty sure you, I, and the patriots all have different opinions on him. Tom Brady was probably the "10th best rated QB" rated in his draft. Gronkowski wasn't the #1 rated TE of his draft class. Who cares where he is "rated".

I don't actually think Kelvin Benjamin is someone the Pats will trade up for. I did say that I could see it happening. Very unlikely, but I personally would find it interesting.

Also, a large body like Benjamin is exactly what Tom Brady needs, in my opinion. Imagine him and Gronk in the redzone.

The Pats just added another "big body" in Brandon Lafell to help with the red zone. Or haven't you been paying attention? Furthermore, they just dropped $20M in the last year on the WR position as well as 2 draft picks. Yet "you can see" the Pats dropping even more draft capital (multiple picks to move up) to take a guy who has major attitude issues, motivation issues, and issues regarding learning the playbook. Oh, did I mention his crappy vertical, crappy shuttle, and crap 3 cone times? You add that to horrible route running and crappy hands and what do you have? A big project that isn't worth a 1st round pick and the suggestion that he might be is just plain laughable.

BTW, Gronk was the #2 rated TE in his draft class. And the fact that you mention Brady in this shows how you are pulling at straws to try and save face over having suggested something that was just not well thought out on your part.

I know it isn't as "sexy" but after looking for info on Belichick trading back, found this article. It looks like we mostly do well with that. Wide Receive is a huge need, but this draft is filled with potentially great WR. Look at the bears, they got Alshon Jeffrey in second round after he started slipping like so many do right before the draft for strange reasons.

http://www.otherleague.com/franchises/success-belichick-trading-nfl-draft/

I know it isn't as "sexy" but after looking for info on Belichick trading back, found this article. It looks like we mostly do well with that. Wide Receive is a huge need, but this draft is filled with potentially great WR. Look at the bears, they got Alshon Jeffrey in second round after he started slipping like so many do right before the draft for strange reasons.

http://www.otherleague.com/franchises/success-belichick-trading-nfl-draft/

How is WR a "huge need" when the Pats just dropped $20 Million on Edelman, Lafell, and Amendola? That doesn't include the 2nd and 4th picks spent on Dobson and Boyce..

TE is a huge need, not WR. OC is a huge need. OG is a huge need. DT is a huge need. DE is a huge need. LB is a huge need. All of those should be ahead of WR.

The Pats just added another "big body" in Brandon Lafell to help with the red zone. Or haven't you been paying attention? Furthermore, they just dropped $20M in the last year on the WR position as well as 2 draft picks. Yet "you can see" the Pats dropping even more draft capital (multiple picks to move up) to take a guy who has major attitude issues, motivation issues, and issues regarding learning the playbook. Oh, did I mention his crappy vertical, crappy shuttle, and crap 3 cone times? You add that to horrible route running and crappy hands and what do you have? A big project that isn't worth a 1st round pick and the suggestion that he might be is just plain laughable.

BTW, Gronk was the #2 rated TE in his draft class. And the fact that you mention Brady in this shows how you are pulling at straws to try and save face over having suggested something that was just not well thought out on your part.
The thread is about "speculation" that the Pats want to trade up for a WR. It wasn't my idea. It is the thread topic. Why do you have such a big problem with my opinion which is directly related to the topic at hand? I don't believe the Pats will select a WR in the 1st, or trade up for one, although a threw out a scenario that relates to trading up for a WR.

The draft is such a crap-shoot and so unpredictable, and for you to be attacking my post, is just extremely nitpicky.

And do you really believe that Brandon lafell is going to be a big red-zone target? Yes, it could help, but he's not really known as a red-zone monster of any sort. He's similar in size to Aaron Dobson (who wasn't very helpful in the red-zone).

By the way, going back to your comparison of him and Mike williams. Williams = 6'2. benjamin= 6'5.

Last edited:
Stay put at 29 for Allen Robinson. Billy O'B coached, Freakishly Big and Fast, experience at all WR positions(Z,X, Slot) and runs alot of diff routes... doing this forces Tompkins,Boyce,Harrison to really bust their rear ends come camp as only one would make the cut (unless Harrison makes the TE conversion thats heavily rumored)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back