PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Patriots want to trade up for.... a wide receiver

I saw this earlier. I've said for a few months that the biggest way to improve this team quickly is to add a big time offensive playmaker, although I know some disagree with that. So I'd be happy with a moderate trade up to take Beckham Jr/Cooks, or to take Lee around the time we pick. I don't think it's possible to move up to the top 10 to take Evans or Watkins, but I wouldn't mind to see a trade up 8 or so spots to take the WR they like the best. Lee was my 1st round pick in my last mock.

The argument against of course is that there are so many quality WRs you can get one later in the 2nd/3rd round if you want one.

Kind of an odd year to trade up for a WR, since the position should still be quite rich at #29.

Unless Mike Evans is their guy, and I've always thought he might be because he's pretty unique. Long way to go up though.

Unless Mike Evans is their guy, and I've always thought he might be because he's pretty unique. Long way to go up though.

Wasn't it Patfanken who wen't off on one because there was a thread discussing even the possibility of a first round WR? He's really going to love this thread then.

Wasn't it Patfanken who wen't off on one because there was a thread discussing even the possibility of a first round WR? He's really going to love this thread then.

Yes, yes it was.

Sorry but you people are just F'ing NUTS. Don't you get it. Lets suppose BB has a stroke on draft day, and we pick up Odell Beckham at 29 just to make you guys all stain your pants. .

:)

That's exactly it. Evans is an immensely appealing prospect, but I'm not willing to go all Julio Jones to get him. And after Watkins and Evans, I see a lot of very promising receivers but none I feel confident enough in for a trade up.

That's exactly it. Evans is an immensely appealing prospect, but I'm not willing to go all Julio Jones to get him. And after Watkins and Evans, I see a lot of very promising receivers but none I feel confident enough in for a trade up.

I agree. The issue is not whether we would want to trade up for Evans. Of course we would. The patriots are just not willing to part with 2 firsts and 2 seconds or a bit less if he falls some from 6 where Jones was picked.

Personally, I have no interest in any wide receiver in the first four rounds.

This info wouldn't be out there unless they wanted it out there. I suspect their intentions are the complete opposite if what the rumors say.

The Patriots want to trade up for......................no one. because they always draft so late I cannot remember a draft where there were not player's I hoped they would trade up for, until this one. This doesn't mean there aren't players I would love to have that will be gone if they don't because there are, however due to the overall depth of this draft, the consistency of the first 40 or so picks, and where their needs do and don't lie it doesn't make sense for me and moving down would be the optimal choice. I would rather see them double dip at TE and LB than use good picks to move up in the first, and if the TE's or LB go off the board too early then double dip at interior OL or DL.

By position:

QB-They aren't moving up for a QB in the first under any conditions. If they trade mallett Draft day they will most likely have to go for a vet FA left on the market because a rookie won't be able to get it done, but they still may add one at some point.

RB-Not a position of need but they will still take one at some point because they are thin at the position.

TE-Major need. I would love to see them take 2 but it is more likely they use a high choice on one and go with what they have plus a street free agent. I don't believe belichick would trade up for Ebron.

WR-Not really a need but not out of the realm of possibility either because there is quality there to be had. It will come down to who is available and how they feel about the young WR's. The other possibility would be if they thought they could take a big WR and use them as the hybrid receiving TE, and given the lack of quality and depth at TE in this draft that could be a real option for them. I don't think they would trade up for any of them due to price and plenty of other options.

OT-Not a need but they could draft an OT as a swing player they could use inside but as depth at OT as well. Although I don't see them trading up in the first this would actually be my most likely position, but it would be based on them having the versatility to play OG. There may be a couple of Tackles who could play Guard floating around in the early to mid twenties, and if they thought one was going to be a 10 year star (like Mankins) for them then they could pull the trigger. I wouldn't be surprised if there were guys going in the twenties and thirties in this draft who have better grades on them than Eric Fisher did last draft, and that's where they may see real value.

OG-RG is a need, Connolly is serviceable but that's all, he is better suited as depth on the unit. A guy like Bitonio could be fill this role perfectly for them, and with the talk he may be able to play Center i think he gets that much more valuable. However i still wouldn't use a first on him, let alone trade up for him.

C-It's a need and they know it. Wendell is another guy who is really a back-up. A dominant Center who can run the line for Brady is a tough thing to find, so they generally end up with the technicians instead. There isn't one worth a first but it could be a serious option in the second.

Defense:

DT-I don't believe DT is a big need right now. I think Wilfork and Kelly will return and Jones and Siliga give them depth. they could use insurance at the position though and if the right guy is there in the first i think Belichick takes him because that's a rare athlete position and if he sees Nix or Hagemann sitting there at #29 he may well go that route. Tuitt is another possibility because he could play 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT role and Belichick values that versatility. I love donald as a player but would not trade up for him, to many other needs to deal with.

DE-A need for depth but slim pickings this year. I doubt they address it in the first but may go there in 2nd-4th rounds. I wouldn't trade up for ealy but he may be there, and in truth even if he was I would probably take a few other guys over him (e.g...Shazier-Sefarian-Jenkins-Hagemann....) If Crichton drops to 62# they should give him serious consideration.

LB-Huge need. I like the starters but they have nothing after that at all and need to address it multiple times. I would be really surprised if they didn't take 2 and possibly even 3 of them. I think belichick wants to see what he can get to fill out that unit in the draft and then he will add the back of the roster LB's this summer as i believe he has a decent list of guys who can fill the last two spots if necessary. I would love Shazier in the first and i would be happy with Mosely as well. And i can always dream that Anthony Barr will fall all the way to #29 but that ain't happening.

Safety-It is possible they take one early but i doubt it, and i don't think they would trade up for any in the first round. Their secondary is in really good shape and while they could add a player to it the spots are running out.

Cornerback-All set. They won't be trading up for one and i can't see them taking one in the first unless Deion declares again.

@Ivan

Just curious but why is linebacker a "huge need" but RB not? For both positions we have starters but no depth. In fact, I'd say that purely in terms of absolute need, RB is the position of "huge need" because Ridley doesn't have the confidence of the coaching staff, Vereen is injury prone and both those players are out of contract at the end of the season.

@Ivan

Just curious but why is linebacker a "huge need" but RB not? For both positions we have starters but no depth. In fact, I'd say that purely in terms of absolute need, RB is the position of "huge need" because Ridley doesn't have the confidence of the coaching staff, Vereen is injury prone and both those players are out of contract at the end of the season.

Because running backs are a dime a dozen and devalued in today's NFL. You can get a decent one in the 6-7 round. It's not a need as it's pretty easy to fill.

Kind of an odd year to trade up for a WR, since the position should still be quite rich at #29.

I agree....but if Ebron falls to the 20s, I could see it.

More likely another case of lies, damn lies, and smoke screens. I think the odds of anything you hear right now being accurate is close to zero.

I just can't see info like this leaving the Pats camp unless they wanted it that way. Probably just bad reporting in the stale month before the draft.

Donald and Ebron were probably the only two players I would see making contributions right away that were worth trading up for.

Mike Evans does intrigue the hell out of me though and my amazement of such a move wouldn't turn to disappointment.

And BB, of course, wasn't willing to go all Julio Jones to get Julio Jones, either. ;)

I think this is disinformation. This is more the year to trade back than it is to trade up into the top 10 if the guy they're eyeing is Watkins or Evans. Now, if a prospect they like falls to within a few slots of where the Pats are slated, I could see a trade up for that.

@Ivan

They have 3 quality RB's for 4 spots and getting another one through the draft or remaining free agency is not going to be much of an issue. They have 3 quality LB's for 6 spots and even one injury puts them in the position of using player's who have no business starting at a position. I am not really concerned about the last roster spot at either position but as i see it right now they don't have anywhere near enough depth at LB whereas they have 3 guys who can and have started and produced at RB. That's my take on it.

They have 3 quality RB's for 4 spots and getting another one through the draft or remaining free agency is not going to be much of an issue. They have 3 quality LB's for 6 spots and even one injury puts them in the position of using player's who have no business starting at a position. I am not really concerned about the last roster spot at either position but as i see it right now they don't have anywhere near enough depth at LB whereas they have 3 guys who can and have started and produced at RB. That's my take on it.

I personally don't buy Brandon Bolden as a quality starter and don't think he should be included whilst a Steve Beauharnais be excluded. But even if you do include Bolden, that still leaves three soon to be out of contract RBs, which after Blount this off-season is no guarantee that we'll have any RB on the roster next season. In my mind, that makes for a significant need.

As I pointed out in the thread about the new Boston media being puppets and the thread about this topic on the main page, the Patriots have $20M tied up in WRs currently. That is guaranteed money that isn't going to change. And that doesn't include Dobson and Boyce or the scrubs. It's unlikely that the Patriots are going to add a WR in the 1st round as mentioned by Doug Kyed. A tight end is a possibility, but, to be honest, none of them are really worth that. And that includes Ebron and ASJ.

The Patriots may be looking at moving up, but I only see it if it's for a DT or DE.

WR is probably the deepest position we have. No obvious superstars but plenty of capable guys, and Brady makes stars out of "capable guys".

We signed Edelman and Amendola to nice contracts last year, drafted 2 wrs last year (one of which looks promising the other--we'll see), got a decent UDFA last year and signed Lafell this spring.

Before we go ignoring bigger draft needs I want to see what we've already got, especially from the younguns, with another year for everyone to jell.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back