PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation of a Julian Edelman holdout

Foxyboro

On the Roster
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm not posting rumors. I have not heard any kind of speculation from any kind of media outlet. This thread is simply a thought I have.

Last year Edelman signed for 4 years 17 mill. This offseason, a very comparable player in Randall Cobb got 4 years and 40 million. In my opinion they are very close players, and if Edelman were a free agent right now I think he could have gotten a very similar contract to Cobb.

My two questions are:
1. Given how well he performed this past season, especially in the playoffs, do you guys think a holdout is possible in any way

2. If a holdout were to happen, could you blame Jules?

Me personally, it's not likely and I don't think it's like Jules to hold out of training camp or even the start of the reg season. However, I don't think the scenario would be completely out of the realm of possibility.

I also would not blame Jules one bit

STFU and GTFO

Good day sir.

Edelman had a similar year in 2013 and nobody was throwing money at him. He's not considered a big-time, big-money WR by "NFL people". That's the reality. Works out for us.

Edelman had a similar year in 2013 and nobody was throwing money at him. He's not considered a big-time, big-money WR by "NFL people". That's the reality. Works out for us.

Agreed, but now he has another solid year to add to the resume and had a great playoff run. I agree with the OP that he would get a much better deal if he were a free agent right now. After all, Vereen right now is overpaid due to his playoff performance alone. Jules would get far more and would be deserving of it.

Jules isn't a hold out type guy. He's got a work ethic, and I think instead of holding out hell play this year, and next year, if he played all 16, and put up similar numbers, he'll ask BB to extend him, and give him a bonus.

I think Minitron knows he hit the jackpot when the patriots took him. Julian has earned his place here, but I honestly doubt he would still be in the NFL if the patriots had not drafted him and gave him the opportunities that the patriots give all players to earn a roster spot.

Thread ignore.... activate!

Hey, Foxyboro, what happens if an asteroid moves 1/10 th of an inch per day on its trajectory and hits the earth?

There are real news items and real possibilities to discuss today in the forum.

This one goes to the.............

Practice Squad.

Last edited:
Bad thread for so many reasons... Cobb is nothing like Edelman. If you want to make a point, you might bring up Amendola's contract from 2013, as that would make more sense as to what Edelman might be "entitled" to based on his play. However, if I'm not mistaken,

Amendola received a signing bonus of $6M, plus base salaries totaling $5M for the last two years. If they cut him now, I believe they can walk away from $15M and he would get something like 2M extra. So, Amendola would get roughly $13M for the last two years and would likely not get more than $2M annually if he hits free agency... let's say a max of $17M in earnings over four years.

Edelman's contract with the Patriots is for four years, $17M.

So, essentially he will get paid the same amount over a four-year period as Amendola.

While the contract isn't as lucrative as a big-name wide receiver, I wouldn't say he is playing for peanuts either.

Edelman is a Classy guy with great work ethic. He would never do something as Classless as being suggested. He would work within the Pats system before doing a holdout. And you can be sure he would discuss his thoughts with Brady before he did anything.

Well this thread made me S**t a brick when I read the title.

I doubt Edleman would hold out he isn't that kind of player, he works hard plus he loves working with Brady. If he hold out he would likely be traded to some team with a poor QB and never see the play offs again. He is every thing the patriots look for in a player he wants to win not get paid. Kinda the anti Revis

I don't see it coming

that said, the guy does deserve a raise and I would not blame him for trying

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes