PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Josh McDaniels to replace Jim Harbaugh as 49ers head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@MaioccoCSN: Agree with @mortreport that top outside candidate to replace Jim Harbaugh as #49ers coach is Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

^ 49ers reporter

If that happens who takes over as our OC or who do we want?

I hope not. I really don't want to lose McDaniels. The first move he would have to make, if he did go there, is replacing Kaepernick. I'm not exactly sure how he would go about that, given Kaepernick's contract. After the year Kaepernick has had, I highly doubt they would find a trade partner.

As a result of Angry Harbaugh's pending departure, ESPN's Chris Mortensen says that Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is the leading candidate to be the next head coach...
It's likely wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea would be next in line to be offensive coordinator, with tight ends coach Brian Daboll as a dark horse.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/12/2...aniels-leading-candidate-for-49ers-head-coach

Despite his successes, Josh has received some mixed reviews here. Certainly the team has survived such changes in the past.

I'm going to assume that means that McDaniels is the guy the 49ers would want most.

If McDaniels is smart, he'll wait until Belichick retires and take over the NEP.

At least he has had good preparation for a defense like the Seahawks. His offense has gone up against a similar defense every time it practices.

I wouldn't want the San Fran job. He is stuck with Kaepernick. Frank Gore is on his last legs. The defense is declining a bit. The NFC West is a brutal division.

Personally, I think if McDaniels leaves, he goes to Atlanta.

This is just reporters sitting around and matching coordinators who may get a shot to openings which there maybe. There is no real theory , rhyme or reason this is going happen but lets just start creating a story or put a placeholder. I would not give this much credence.

11-17 as a head coach with the Broncos
Coordinated the 32nd ranked scoring offense in 2011 on the Rams
Coordinated top level offenses with Brady, Moss, Gronk, etc.

IMO, his resume doesn't look that pretty. I'm surprised his name is always mentioned with numerous jobs.

Tomsula is their guy, I'd say, but it's a good looking vacancy that's about to happen. He'll be interested, as he should be.

IMO, his resume doesn't look that pretty. I'm surprised his name is always mentioned with numerous jobs.

Yes, posters here think less of Josh than the GM's of other teams. I'm not saying that Josh will get a head coaching job this off-season, just that he will be considered.

Belichick has prepared for the eventuality with Daboll on board.

Every time a coach is in the hot seat McDaniels name will be brought up as a top candidate, this is just reporters creating news to have retweets and these kind of stuff

Belichick didn't exactly light the world on fire his first go-around. I read an article recently (can't seem to find it) about how fast teams are moving form coach to coach, wondering whether guys like Landry or Walsh or others (can't recall) would have survived in today's NFL after 2-4 terrible seasons to start their careers.

I'm not saying McDaniels is bound to be a great coach, or that he deserved a longer shot in Denver. What I am saying is a few failed seasons doesn't portend a failed head coaching career.

That would suck imo.

History says that it will definitely be somebody from inside. So I don't know who else of our assistants would be more apt ? O'Shea ?

Last edited:
Belichick didn't exactly light the world on fire his first go-around. I read an article recently (can't seem to find it) about how fast teams are moving form coach to coach, wondering whether guys like Landry or Walsh or others (can't recall) would have survived in today's NFL after 2-4 terrible seasons to start their careers.

I'm not saying McDaniels is bound to be a great coach, or that he deserved a longer shot in Denver. What I am saying is a few failed seasons doesn't portend a failed head coaching career.

Agreed. Ultimately, he was right about Cutler and Marshall and he also drafted some of the most potent players currently on Denver's roster.

Since he's a top tier OC, I hope he sticks around. Also, given what he had to deal with in both Denver and St. Louis, I think he'll be very cautious about the QB situation of any team that talks to him about a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes