PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Matt Cassel back to the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy if the Pats signed Cassel to the vet min and traded Mallet for a 1 year rental -- or a 2nd-3rd round pick -- although I think teams would be more willing to give up a rental than a 2nd round pick.

Mallet to the Pats is essentially a 2 year rental; at the end of which we'll either cut him loose, or we'll be paying him free agent starter money -- plus we still won't have had real game film to know exactly how well he can play.

So I'd be okay if they flipped a 2 year rental for a 1 year rental -- ie Percy or even Revis -- but only Revis if we truely didn't think Mallet would turn into a top 5 QB).

Mallet himself would be better served if he gets a starting opportunity immediately instead of sitting on the bench another 2 years -- so I don't think there's any way Mallet signs with the Pats if Brady is still going strong in 2 years.

That said, if I were Cassel and the Pats only offered the vet min; I'd sign a 1` year contract somewhere else that has a shaky qb (even with the jets) just so you get another shot at becoming the starter again and then a chance at a better contract. If he signs with the Pats, he's relegating himself to career backup

Signing with the JEST might be the worst mistake he could make. At least McDaniels knows how to get the most out of Cassel, and he'd have weapons to take the load off him. JEST? :bricks:

The overall issue here is not the value of Matt Cassell as a backup

It's the value of Ryan Mallett as a potential starter.

Belichick has certainly timed it right. Most feel there are no 1st round worthy QBs in this draft. How high would Ryan Mallett go in the draft - especially with GMs knowing that character is not an issue?

Of course, playing behind Brady there's not exactly a lot to go on, and Belichick is typically tight lipped about players, but he did get elevated to 2nd string. If the Patriots are going to trade him, this is the offseason to do it.

What will be most interesting is if the is interest in Mallett from other teams but Belichick holds onto him. That might speak volumes about whether the team feels he could be a caliber starter with Brady's contract up in 2014.

The overall issue here is not the value of Matt Cassell as a backup

It's the value of Ryan Mallett as a potential starter.

Belichick has certainly timed it right. Most feel there are no 1st round worthy QBs in this draft...

Don't tell that to Chiefsplanet. They're sure that Geno Smith is the savior. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back