PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Matt Cassel back to the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until you know what you have in Mallett, I'm not sure how you could conclusively make this claim.

Fair enough, but I was speaking purely from a fan's POV - the point is that we don't know what we have in Mallet, so a semi-proven Cassel does make you (as a fan) feel better.

The FO & coaching staff of the Patriots should know better than we do what they have in Mallet, so I'll leave the actual decision-making up to them.

It boggles the mind that some people cannot grasp the idea that some general managers and team scouts are incapable of popping in a DVD of Ryan Mallett playing vs. SEC competition (much of it in the NFL now) from just two seasons ago,

compare it to other QBs they are evaluating from last year, and say

Gee, that Mallett kid looks a whole lot better to me, if we can get him for a 2nd rounder, than this other guy does, and people say we might not even be able to pick this other guy in round 2.

It's not like Mallett has gained 100 pounds, mysteriously blew out a knee in practice, or otherwise regressed in any way.

They would see the talent that they passed on 2 years ago mainly (or even solely) because they thought he was a character risk, a factor that would be mitigated by time, since time (and a no-nonsense coach and team) tends to mature a college partier (unless he's named Gronk).

Most of Cassel's problems in KC were Pioli's fault.

huh? Piloli wasn't forcing Cassel to make terrible throws. Cassel would be a more than capable backup if they trade Mallett. Would welcome him back.

huh? Piloli wasn't forcing Cassel to make terrible throws. Cassel would be a more than capable backup if they trade Mallett. Would welcome him back.
However, 80% of Cassel's INTs this year were due to drops or poorly run routes by Bowe, Baldwin and McCluster.

I can't see us carrying 3 QBs. Its a waste of a roster spot. I think Cassel only comes back if Mallett gets moved and I don't see that happening.

I don't think this will wash. At this point the Pats have to be thinking about making sure TFB's replacement is on the roster. I don't think his replacement will be Matt Cassell, who proved in KC that he can't carry a team. I think the Pats hold onto Mallett, continue to groom him, and if he's that good, continue to go with only 2 QBs on the roster.

I was at the Texans game this year and when Mallet and Brady came out and jogged up the sideline I could not believe my eyes on how HUGE!!! Mallet was. he looks nothing like the QB we drafted ... he is huge and loaded with muscle. Granted that doesn't make him a QB but it shows he is dedicated and has worked hard. I would not let him go unless someone offered the farm.

Brett Favre hadn't accomplished anything on the field when he was traded. In fact, all Favre had accomplished was throwing 2 interceptions and being sacked once.

Mallett is sitting behind one of the greatest (if not THE GREATEST) QB to have ever played the game. And now, that is somehow a detriment to him? Because he hasn't surpassed Tom Brady?

The fact that Belichick only went with TWO QBs, one of them being Mallett, when he's typically gone with 3, shows a level of confidence in Mallett that you rarely see from Head coaches, particularly ones with Belichick's pedigree.

Same level of confidence he had in Cassel in 2006 and Hoyer in 2009 and 2010.

What transpires with Cassel will depend on whether or not he gets another shot as a starter. Including with Reid on a reduced deal Matt would likely be all too happy to agree to if he feels he still has a shot to revive his career as a starter on Reids watch. Most guys do get multiple shots once they've started, but given his success was limited to this system, he may not. Then it comes down to whether he wants to remain in the game or get on with his life. He's made his money, so that isn't an issue. He may in fact be toast as a result of the abose he endured over his time in KC. He and Tom remain close and train together in CA in the off season so Belichick will have ample insight on him between Brady and Daboll. Generally speaking Bill doesn't want a QB on the roster who doesn't have ambition to be a starter. That's a little different though when it comes to veterans who have been.

Hoyer may yet get his shot to at least compete for a starting job either in AZ or in Cleveland.

I do believe Bill is probably somewhat comforted by the thought that there are two guys out there whom he knows can run the system here and one or both is liable to be a FA at any point in the next 2-3 seasons.

Both Mallett and Brady have two years remaining on their contracts before they potentially become UFA's. Only one of them will get an extension here...at starter money. Neither will be interested in extending as a backup.

Mallett's arm will likely get him a shot at starting somewhere whenever he becomes a UFA. It's doubtful anyone trades anything for him until or unless he shows something at the very least in preseason but preferably (for him) in regular season action. And wishing for that is foolsplay because that's only happening here if Brady is injured. Some coaches like Reid will invest in showcasing a backup. Belichick never has. Reid himself said this week in assessing a QB already on his roster (Stanzi) he watched everything there was to watch on him in college but there was little to nothing to watch from his time in the NFL so he's at a loss to assess him beyond the assessment he'd make on a college QB coming out this season. Mallett has the same problem from the standpoint of other HC's. Bill and Josh may feel they have a better read on him, but then we don't really know what that read is. We know they chose to go with him over a guy scheduled to make over $2M as an RFA on a roster that was feeling the pinch as final cuts had to be made.

I havent spoken with him, but I dont believe that Cassel will stay in KC for any reduced rate.

Cassel is the 2nd most hated sports figure (Pioli is in 1st place) in town and Im not kidding. KC is brutal on QBs going back to the days of Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac. Last year, Cassel played in a celebrity pickup baseball game pre MLB Allstar game and was booed and heckled mercilessly. Its way worse now after the 2012 season with a new GM and HC.

I know where Cassel lives and it cant be pleasant for him and his family in public since its such a small community.

It might be interesting to have him play TE or something in addition to backup QB. Maybe give him some incentives for that. All for the team. Test his loyalty.

You'd really suggest using your backup QB to play TE???

Since when did Tony Sparano join our message board???

BTW, we kind of have a few decent TEs already on the roster...

Brett Favre hadn't accomplished anything on the field when he was traded. In fact, all Favre had accomplished was throwing 2 interceptions and being sacked once.

Mallett is sitting behind one of the greatest (if not THE GREATEST) QB to have ever played the game. And now, that is somehow a detriment to him? Because he hasn't surpassed Tom Brady?

The fact that Belichick only went with TWO QBs, one of them being Mallett, when he's typically gone with 3, shows a level of confidence in Mallett that you rarely see from Head coaches, particularly ones with Belichick's pedigree.

I don't think that means much of anything besides he thought having another player at position X was more useful than a 3rd QB. Hoyer was Brady's lone backup for awhile. All we know is Mallett is better QB than Hoyer and the other JAGs we've brought in since drafting him. Hoyer hasn't done much since leaving the team, so Mallett beating him out doesn't say much.

He's a complete question mark at this point. He's not going to pull in much from a trade until 1) he gets some meaningful game film or 2) someone gets incredibly desperate.

Mallett is almost as big a film junkie as Bill. I hope he steps it up in the pre-season, especially since he has not improved on many of his shortcomings in college - from the little I have seen from him. Unless someone offers a ridiculous offer (will not happen) Mallett stays. Hopefully, he rises to being Brady's replacement, but only time will tell.

Same level of confidence he had in Cassel in 2006 and Hoyer in 2009 and 2010.

What transpires with Cassel will depend on whether or not he gets another shot as a starter. Including with Reid on a reduced deal Matt would likely be all too happy to agree to if he feels he still has a shot to revive his career as a starter on Reids watch. Most guys do get multiple shots once they've started, but given his success was limited to this system, he may not. Then it comes down to whether he wants to remain in the game or get on with his life. He's made his money, so that isn't an issue. He may in fact be toast as a result of the abose he endured over his time in KC. He and Tom remain close and train together in CA in the off season so Belichick will have ample insight on him between Brady and Daboll. Generally speaking Bill doesn't want a QB on the roster who doesn't have ambition to be a starter. That's a little different though when it comes to veterans who have been.

Hoyer may yet get his shot to at least compete for a starting job either in AZ or in Cleveland.

I do believe Bill is probably somewhat comforted by the thought that there are two guys out there whom he knows can run the system here and one or both is liable to be a FA at any point in the next 2-3 seasons.

Both Mallett and Brady have two years remaining on their contracts before they potentially become UFA's. Only one of them will get an extension here...at starter money. Neither will be interested in extending as a backup.

Mallett's arm will likely get him a shot at starting somewhere whenever he becomes a UFA. It's doubtful anyone trades anything for him until or unless he shows something at the very least in preseason but preferably (for him) in regular season action. And wishing for that is foolsplay because that's only happening here if Brady is injured. Some coaches like Reid will invest in showcasing a backup. Belichick never has. Reid himself said this week in assessing a QB already on his roster (Stanzi) he watched everything there was to watch on him in college but there was little to nothing to watch from his time in the NFL so he's at a loss to assess him beyond the assessment he'd make on a college QB coming out this season. Mallett has the same problem from the standpoint of other HC's. Bill and Josh may feel they have a better read on him, but then we don't really know what that read is. We know they chose to go with him over a guy scheduled to make over $2M as an RFA on a roster that was feeling the pinch as final cuts had to be made.

Matt Cassel Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Cassell signed a great contract (for him) and puts a load of dead money on the KC cap for 2013. If the Pats acquire him through a trade, what are they on the hook for?

Matt Cassel Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Cassell signed a great contract (for him) and puts a load of dead money on the KC cap for 2013. If the Pats acquire him through a trade, what are they on the hook for?

Looks like KC's dead cap is only $3.5M (based on his option bonus of 2011 being converted) while their cap savings over the last two season would be around $14.5M net. Pioli was cash strapped and loaded with cap when he took over in KC so he frontloaded Matt's deal.

It's highly unlikely he gets traded although Reid may try and talk him up and talk someone into it. Wouldn't be us. We'd only be interested in Matt as a backup in the $1M range. And he might have to hang around for a season without getting a shot at competing for a starting gig to be interested in a purely backup deal. He might also be content to walk away at that point as he banked $45M in his 4 years in KC.

I'd be happy if the Pats signed Cassel to the vet min and traded Mallet for a 1 year rental -- or a 2nd-3rd round pick -- although I think teams would be more willing to give up a rental than a 2nd round pick.

Mallet to the Pats is essentially a 2 year rental; at the end of which we'll either cut him loose, or we'll be paying him free agent starter money -- plus we still won't have had real game film to know exactly how well he can play.

So I'd be okay if they flipped a 2 year rental for a 1 year rental -- ie Percy or even Revis -- but only Revis if we truely didn't think Mallet would turn into a top 5 QB).

Mallet himself would be better served if he gets a starting opportunity immediately instead of sitting on the bench another 2 years -- so I don't think there's any way Mallet signs with the Pats if Brady is still going strong in 2 years.

That said, if I were Cassel and the Pats only offered the vet min; I'd sign a 1` year contract somewhere else that has a shaky qb (even with the jets) just so you get another shot at becoming the starter again and then a chance at a better contract. If he signs with the Pats, he's relegating himself to career backup

I wouldn't have any problem with him backing up TFB, if the money is right. Sure his confidence is low, but what better situation to regain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back