PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

*Speculation* If McDaniels leaves who is the next OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard talk of Mike Martz as a possible outside replacement at OC if McDaniels leaves (a move that seems to be inching closer). I don't see that as a fit. However, I do see a possible fit in Jim Fassel. He has been out of the coaching ranks for a few years but has been reportedly trying to work his way back in. It would be an unexpected choice, but no more so than Dom Capers at DB coach. If he is succesful, it would be a great springboard to a head coaching jig somewhere. Fassel and Belichick also may have been together as NY Giant assistants (I'm not sure about that). If BB chooses internally, then O'Brien or Fears would seem the most likely choices.

Jags might be a nice fit...............Not sure of what his relationship is with BB but I would think he'll be considered. Knowing BB though, this might stay in-house.

Last edited:
Mangurian or . . .

Bill O'Brien - Official New England Patriots Biography

Also he will probably be the unnamed de facto OC like McDaniels was the first year.

I've heard O'Brien mentioned as a possible replacement but he's only been in the league and w/the Pats 2 yrs, although McDaniels was young when he took over as OC he did have 5 previous yrs in the NFL and w/the Pats. O'Brien's college credentials are impressive, especially at Georgia Tech, but he seems inexperienced for an OC position in the NFL. He will be a candidate though if McDaniels does leave. I'm sure he will be able to handle coming up gameplans during the week but gameday playcalling needs experience.

Last edited:
I have a hunch ... just a hunch we may hear Jim Fassel's name mentioned very, very soon as a candidate or to be hired as the Patriots next OC. No Guarantee how long he would stay as he still wants to be a HC but Fassel know's offense and he knows it well. If Belichick is looking for a 1 or 2 year caretaker for the job Fassel could be well worh the look. Would Fassel take the job before knowing if he'll be the Rams next HC? :confused2:

Last edited:
OK let the mind go.....do a little brainstorm and see what happens..............Jeff Jagodzinski, Vinnie Testaverde, Ray Handley, Charlie Weis, Ernie Zampese, Troy Brown, Jeff Davidson, Ron Jaworski, Mike Martz, Kirk Ferentz, Doug Flutie...............................wow - maybe not such a good exercise............

I don't think it will be Davidson unless Carolina fires their entire staff. I also don't believe that Weis will be returning. I don't think Jagodzinski is someone who is worth looking at..

Martz, Ferentz, Shanahan.. Maybe..

Tom Brady.

I don't know if Mike Martz would be a good fit. He would probably want to change things up too much. Also, if you thought we didn't run before, bringing in Martz would make us look like we'd previously been run heavy. Maroney wouldn't even have a chance to get hurt.

Jim Fassel would be interesting, but his last stint as OC/assistant/consultant with the Ravens was God awful. I doubt that had everything to do with him, but still it is a blemish on his record.

I, personally, think we should just promote from within and then bring in a former BB favorite (maybe Vinny T or Troy Brown) to start grooming to be the OC AFTER whichever guy we end up with. Of course, Vinny or Troy would have to be interested...

Tom Brady.

:agree: After all, he's the one who has a hands-on approach to running the offense. BB could do an "offense by committee" like he did when McDaniels was still officially the QB coach.

The running game developed well this year, so how about O'Brien as QB Coach and Fears as OC?

Last edited:
Whoever it is, he'll suck, he won't be creative enough, he'll be to blame for every failed third down conversion attempt, incomplete pass and stopped run, and several posters here will know every single call he makes hours in advance....;)

:rofl::rofl:

Aint that the truth. First it was Charlie, than Josh. Just ask NEM,,,,,,,,,,,oops, i forgot we're not supposed to type those initials :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back