PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation -- Dillon to Green Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw that on PFT, on one hand makes sense on the other it is not very well substantiated.. but who knows, he might compliment Favre well.

I love Corey, but he can not be a full time back at this point. He had to take himself out after every few plays because he got dinged or was winded or whatever. I think it would be a great fit if he is used in a split--not necessarily down the middle--role. Maybe Corey gets 15 carries a game and the rest of the backs combined get 10-15. Corey can still play, but he needs at least one other player to spell him. They did draft Jackson in the second so obviously he is in their plans.

Last edited:
It's just idle chatter, not even a real rumor.

It's just idle chatter, not even a real rumor.

I'm not sure I would even define Corey Dillon as a "big name." Larry Johnson on the other hand...

NO CHANCE IN HELL HES GOING TO GREEN BAY!

Here is what Corey is considering....

A) Going to play as a 1-2 punch RB tandem on a team that is most likely going to the playoffs

B) Retiring

There is no other option for Corey and no reason to play on a crap team going nowhere with a QB who is 75 years old - That team is Green Bay among others who have little chance of even sniffing the playoffs .

Personally I think he would be an awesome fit in Arizona behind James-What a 1-2 punch that would be,That could put the Cardinals over the top in the NFC as an offensive juggernaut and would vitually make them a likely playoff team if the D holds its end up.

Last edited:
Why are the reporters following the Patriots putting out such a negative spin on Corey's last year with the Patriots?

Can anyone answer that?

What was the falling out all about?

Why would Corey "never play for the Patriots again?"

A) Going to play as a 1-2 punch RB tandem on a team that is most likely going to the playoffs and earning one million dollars or so

B) Retiring and making no money this year

There is no other option for Corey and no reason to play on a crap team going nowhere with a QB who is 75 years old - That team is Green Bay among others who have little chance of even sniffing the playoffs .

Well, what you left out of options A and B is $. Also, GB narrowly missed the playoffs this year, and they could certainly contend over in the minor league. Dillon, according to himself, wants to be a major contributor on a team.

Now, this report isn't really a report. More like sh!t being flung against a wall based on something a personnel guy said. But it does make a lot of sense for all parties.

Why are the reporters following the Patriots putting out such a negative spin on Corey's last year with the Patriots?

Can anyone answer that?

What was the falling out all about?

Why would Corey "never play for the Patriots again?"

This is a good question. I wonder about what happened with Cory, too.
I suspect, though that, Cory, knowing last year was going to be his final one in NE as a starter, started showing his old self. Especially not getting to the SuperBowl may have been harder on him because he knew that.
Maybe he took his frustrations out on team members after the loss to Indy.
Belichick didn't want to bring this situation into training camp so he granted Cory's request and released him.

I think he'll end up in Buffalo or Miami.

Corey had a $3M roster bonus due in 2006. After being ineffective due apparently to injury (BB said he always worked hard) he was asked to defer that to 2007. In 2006 he was still obviously hampered by something - injury, age, loss of killer instinct, whatever. So the team wasn't going to ever pay his deferred roster bonus. Corey knew this at the end of the season. Maybe he could have stayed at a reduced salary in 2007, but it would have had to be reduced dramatically to lower his cap hit. Players will sometimes play for less somewhere else, seldom for their present team because they tend to feel that there they have "earned" an overpayment or two. Ergo, he won't be playing here again.

I doubt he will play anywhere because I think Corey is done mentally and physically. He could push through some of that, but it would likely take a stupid overpayment to entice him to undertake the effort to try to. His agent is probably still hoping someone will make that offer, since 3% of Corey retired = $0. It would probably take $3M plus big sounding makeable if he's starting as a featured RB incentives to get Corey off his couch.

As for that stat that claimed we got more bang for the buck from Corey than Maroney, that's nonsense. Sometimes you have to trust what your eyes see (as opposed to crunching numbers in a vacuum). Corey had a $2.6M cap hit in 2006, Maroney's was $1.1M. He got no signing bonus (although his deal is highly guaranteed $6.1M of an $8M+ total but that is spread over 4-5 bargain seasons for an explosive young RB). Corey may have scored more TD's, but that was a function of his short yardage work coupled with a sub par WR corps and an injured rookie for the last third of the season. And a third more TD's for more than twice the compensation doesn't equal way more bang in my book. When you look at total yardage, they were in the same ballpark with the edge on number of longer runs/receptions going to the youngster and the edge on shorter scoring runs going to the veteran. Take out Corey's lone 50 yard run of the season and that becomes more apparent. He could still be a bull in spurts, but he could suddenly barely outrun my elderly mother.

If someone wants to pay him $3-5M to be a third down and goal line back - and even than WHEN HE's NOT WINDED OR DINGED - they will probably be tossing him under the bus come December because they were paying for and expecting at least a semi-featured back. Corey is a proud man and I think on some level he absolutely knows that. Irrespective of what his agent would like him and all the rest of us to believe.

A) Going to play as a 1-2 punch RB tandem on a team that is most likely going to the playoffs

B) Retiring

Personally I think he would be an awesome fit in Arizona behind James-What a 1-2 punch that would be,That could put the Cardinals over the top in the NFC as an offensive juggernaut and would vitually make them a likely playoff team if the D holds its end up.

He could gain enough yards to get in the Hall of Fame.

He could gain enough yards to get in the Hall of Fame.

He could also gain enough significant injury to be unable to play with his young children like a normal 30 something guy or recognize them or his grandkids when he's only in his 50's.

Tiki Barber just left in his prime for just that reason. Guys who stay for less generally aren't doing it to get in the HOF as much as they can't hardly stand the concept of not playing the game on Sundays even for veteran minimum. I don't think Corey is one of those guys. He got his money, he got his ring, and if he stayed it would be all down hill from here, as the last two seasons unfortunately showcased. The older they get the harder it gets to be in the necessary game shape to withstand the season, mentally as well as physically. Lots of guys decide that the only circumstance under which they are willing to muster that level of effort and continue to take on the long term risk is if somebody makes them a financial offer they can't refuse.

I would love to see Corey get into the Hall.

I've detailed it before, but between about 800 to 1,000 and change, he starts passing a running back a week, moving up 5-6 places until he passes Jim Brown.

This should create a media frenzy that will put him over the top IMO.

Unlike some steady, but unspectacular players, Corey was a true great in his prime being one of only 2 players to have 2 games with over 240 yards (O.J. Simpson) He owned the single game record for a while and also owns the single game rookie record, I believe.

He could also gain enough significant injury to be unable to play with his young children like a normal 30 something guy or recognize them or his grandkids when he's only in his 50's.

Tiki Barber just left in his prime for just that reason. Guys who stay for less generally aren't doing it to get in the HOF as much as they can't hardly stand the concept of not playing the game on Sundays even for veteran minimum. I don't think Corey is one of those guys. He got his money, he got his ring, and if he stayed it would be all down hill from here, as the last two seasons unfortunately showcased. The older they get the harder it gets to be in the necessary game shape to withstand the season, mentally as well as physically. Lots of guys decide that the only circumstance under which they are willing to muster that level of effort and continue to take on the long term risk is if somebody makes them a financial offer they can't refuse.

He probably already did that in 2005 to help us win a couple games while many on this site called him a whiner.

Unlike some steady, but unspectacular players, Corey was a true great in his prime being one of only 2 players to have 2 games with over 240 yards (O.J. Simpson) He owned the single game record for a while and also owns the single game rookie record, I believe.[/QUOTE]

* He also got most of his yards for a terrible team where some years he was thier offense. I think he has the yards to get in and hope he does.

* He also got most of his yards for a terrible team where some years he was thier offense. I think he has the yards to get in and hope he does.

Same here. I have alot of respect for CD, regardless of (or especially due to) the fact that he didn't embrace the media.

B) Retiring

Wait: how do you REALLY feel? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye