PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculating on Marshawn Lynch

Status
Not open for further replies.

the wrothbroughterer

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This is purely speculation on my part but its something that might be worth discussing.

From ESPN Insider:

Back in February, Bob Matthews of the Democrat and Chronicle had a bold suggestion: trade Marshawn Lynch to the San Diego Chargers to let Fred Jackson be the full-time starting back for the Bills.

Still, as Graham noted in his column Tuesday, the Bills can't expect to get much more than a fourth-round pick in trade, given Lynch's long list of off-field transgressions and lack of production on the field.

Personally, I'd like to see the first 4 picks used on 2 LB, DE, and either a TE or a WR. We still need another RB and the pickings will be pretty slim when we pick again in the 4th round. Given the need at RB and the relatively low price tag (being in the same division there would have to be addition compensation but I think an additional 6th or a 7th is a small price to pay) for Lynch this seems like something worth investigating. If he gets his **** together he could be a feature back and would probably be the most talented back on our depth chart if added. A backfield with Lynch, Taylor, Morris, and Maroney has all the makings of a great power running game that could help mitigate the loss in the passing game during Welker's absence. I think there is enough leadership on this team to get him to change his attitude and getting out of the pit of nothing that is Buffalo, NY could go a long way for him as well.

Thoughts?

Do we really "need a RB"? We put up good ground numbers last year. The interior OL needs to be improved before anything else on offense.

I think Maroney has better production than Lynch.

I'm fine with drafting a RB in round 3-5, and a flyer on another with one of the many 7th round picks.

Do we really "need a RB"? We put up good ground numbers last year. The interior OL needs to be improved before anything else on offense.

Faulk, Taylor and Morris are all over 32. Taylor and Morris are always getting injured. Maroney, Taylor and Morris are in the final year of their contract. Id say they Pats need to bring in someone new. Not necesarrily Lynch, but I think the Pats need some new talent to work into the mix. Guy I like is Ben Tate from Auburn. Should be able to get him in the 3rd, maybe the 4th.

Last edited:
I don't know, having an ex-Bill RB has worked in the past. Something to consider.....:)

Lynch is washed up. Fred Jackson is better. Let's take someone in the draft if we're getting a RB.

Lynch is washed up. Fred Jackson is better. Let's take someone in the draft if we're getting a RB.

He's been in the NFL for 3 years, has never missed a game due to injury, and has never been feature back taking 25+ carries a game on a consistent basis. He's great receiving out of the backfield, too. Scouts Inc. has him as the 10th best RB in the NFL. Marshawn Lynch is a lot of not great things, but washed up isn't one of them.

He's been in the NFL for 3 years, has never missed a game due to injury, and has never been feature back taking 25+ carries a game on a consistent basis. He's great receiving out of the backfield, too. Scouts Inc. has him as the 10th best RB in the NFL. Marshawn Lynch is a lot of not great things, but washed up isn't one of them.

Agreed. He's a turd with several run-ins with law-enforcement, but he's definitely not washed-up. I'll pass anyway. There are guys just as effective who don't bring the baggage or salary. There's a reason why Buffalo wouldn't mind trading him.

Someday the world will learn how fungible the RB position is in the NFL. There are maybe 3 elite guys, and everybody else will perform roughly the same given the same offensive co-ordinator and the same offensive line. Fantasy football has severely damaged the way we see things on the actual football field. For my money, the best RB in the NFL is DeAngelo Williams. Yet Carolina really doesn't suffer when Jonathan Stewart is in the game. Effective play-calling, plus good offensive line play.

Someday the world will learn how fungible the RB position is in the NFL. There are maybe 3 elite guys, and everybody else will perform roughly the same given the same offensive co-ordinator and the same offensive line. Fantasy football has severely damaged the way we see things on the actual football field. For my money, the best RB in the NFL is DeAngelo Williams. Yet Carolina really doesn't suffer when Jonathan Stewart is in the game. Effective play-calling, plus good offensive line play.

ITA

Although I think of myself as the exception. I'm an avid fantasy football player, but it's because of that I know how easy it is to hit on RBs late. I drafted Ray Rice in the 7th round and Mendenhall in the 10th.

If you have a solid OL and a coach who knows how to utilize the running game it doesn't matter so much who you plug in the backfield. Why else are so many more teams switching to RBBC?

Last edited:
Faulk, Taylor and Morris are all over 32. Taylor and Morris are always getting injured. Maroney, Taylor and Morris are in the final year of their contract. Id say they Pats need to bring in someone new. Not necesarrily Lynch, but I think the Pats need some new talent to work into the mix. Guy I like is Ben Tate from Auburn. Should be able to get him in the 3rd, maybe the 4th.

I agree with going after Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey