PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Specter update [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Fiction:

(WASHINGTON, DC) There appears to no founding to the rumors recently that U.S. Senator Arlen exSpectorate (R-Eagles/Comcast) has barricaded himself in his Senate chambers since March 3, 2008. Aides to Sen. exSpectorate have pleaded with the senator to unlock his office doors in order to retrieve reports on a $4 billion Appropriations Bill. However, the desperate office staff can only hear the background noise of the NFL Network in his office. The vigil is now in Day 6, which reportedly has exSpectorate staring, almost trance-like at the television screen, and chanting in a low uneven voice: "Any news on Matt Walsh...Any news on Matt Walsh...People I need info...People I need info...Any news on Matt Walsh...." And on and on it goes.

Last edited:
Re: Specter update

Fiction:

(WASHINGTON, DC) There appears to no founding to the rumors recently that U.S. Senator Arlen exSpectorate (R-Eagles/Comcast) has barricaded himself in his Senate chambers since March 3, 2008. Aides to Sen. exSpectorate have pleaded with the senator to unlock his office doors in order to retrieve reports on a $4 billion Appropriations Bill. However, the desperate office staff can only hear the background noise of the NFL Network in his office. The vigil is now in Day 6, which reportedly has exSpectorate staring, almost trance-like at the television screen, and chanting in a low uneven voice: "Any news on Matt Walsh...Any news on Matt Walsh...People I need info...People I need info...Any news on Matt Walsh...." And on and on it goes.
I suspect Specter knows all about the Walsh tapes from Walsh's

lawyer who was recommended by Specter. I agree that Specter is

anxious to hear that Bill Belichick has been tarred and feathered by

order of Roger Goodell.

Last edited:

I guess he knows that Walsh will never get a get out of jail pass from the Pats and that he will not saying that will getting put in the pen.

Here's a newer story from today's NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/sports/football/09nfl.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

“I’d like to issue a challenge to the commissioner to make public the extensive exchange of correspondence between the league’s lawyers and Walsh’s lawyers,” Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, said in a phone interview after reviewing that correspondence.

I'd like to see a reporter or better yet, Goodell challenge Specter to release all correspondence between himself and Comcast Media.

That's what "challenges" usually entail. If he'll do that I think the NFL should release all the legal correspondence as well... and after all, what's more important? "Cheating" in the NFL or corruption in Congress?

But of course, Specter wouldn't hold himself to the same standard he wants to hold others to.

Last edited:

specter doesn't go anywhere at this point.

Florio's view:

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/08/specter-wants-nfl-to-let-walsh-talk/

SPECTER WANTS NFL TO LET WALSH TALK
Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2008, 1:45 p.m.

As the impasse between the NFL and Matt Walsh regarding the terms of an agreement that would allow him to tell his story of alleged spying by the Patriots lingers, Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) is speaking out about the stalemate.

“We need to hear from Walsh,” Specter told the New York Times.

To get there, Specter wants the league to release the chain of correspondence exchanged between the NFL’s lawyers and Michael Levy, the high-priced Washington, D.C. attorney who still hasn’t responded to requests from ProFootballTalk for more information on how he came to represent Walsh.

Levy also has yet to respond to our request for comment regarding the disclosure by the Patriots that Levy isn’t bound by any confidentiality agreement, which disclosure was buried last month in an ESPN.com item and generally ignored by the rest of the media.

We agree with Specter. The letters should be released. But why isn’t Specter asking Walsh’s lawyer to release them? The letters aren’t secret; if Walsh and/or Levy want to make them public, they can.

“Any objective or accurate reading of the correspondence would show the [NFL] is trying to discourage Walsh from coming forward,” Specter said. Fine. If so, Walsh should release the letters.

In our “objective and accurate” assessment, Specter has finally gone too far. If there’s no confidentiality agreement, nothing prevents Walsh from talking — other than Walsh’s desire to get immunity for anything he might say.

Our advice to the NFL? Call Specter’s bluff. Release the letters. And, while doing so, the league and the Patriots should take out a full-page ad in every major paper in the country with an open letter to Walsh explaining that there will be no litigation pursued for anything that he previously has said or done.

And if Walsh still wants immunity from the legal consequences of anything he might say in the future, the league promise to indemnify him for any such claims, as long as he agrees to tell his story under oath.

Though the league and the Patriots have by all appearances handled capably the legal chess match with Walsh, they’ve bungled the P.R. battle, in our view. It’s time for the NFL to make it known, in plain terms that persons of average intelligence will understand, that there’s no impediment to Walsh’s ability to tell his story.

As we’ve previously said, this issue isn’t going to go away without Walsh’s version being out in the open. Until that happens, there will be an impression that the powers-that-be are trying to keep him from talking.

Especially if Arlen Specter will be continuing to stir the pot.

Re: Specter Raises New Questions on Spying

It's interesting when Spector is questioning the internal workings of a company (the NFL) NOT about any law breaking vut about the very runnings of that company. I THINK he has gone way too far. And to demand that letters sent in confidence in negotiation REALLY means that Spector has the copies already from Walsh's attorney. I truyly believe that he had a hand in having Walsh's Washington attorney hired for him. He needs to be investigated here..because his ethics in having ANYTHING to do with the NFL given the Comcast donations SMELLS. For someone who supposedly knows the law, he's PRETTY brazen about taking it to the edge. My ONLY hope is that someone pushes the skunk over the edge. The fact that he is calling for information between lawyers to be made public is a bit frightening to me..would he want dealings in private between Comcast and the NFL be made public?? He really has NO business sticking his nose in here..would be better that he spend his time with something substantive..where LAWS were broken..To me the quicker he makes a fool of himself, the better for everyone.

Last edited:
Re: Specter Raises New Questions on Spying

When will someone stand up to Specter and question his true intentions?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back