PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Specter: Pats video practices dates to 2000, includes 2004 Steelers games

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...YcB?slug=ap-goodell-specter&prov=ap&type=lgns

Belichick has been taping since 2000, Goodell tells Specter
By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer

February 13, 2008 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...-the-patriots-taped-the-steelers-twice-durin/

Senator Specter Says the Patriots Taped the Steelers Twice During 2004 Season
Posted Feb 13th 2008 7:39PM by Ryan Wilson

Well, it looks like Senator Arlen Specter didn't get around to talking about the NFL's antitrust exemption during today's meet-and-greet with commissioner Roger Goodell. As Michael David Smith wrote earlier, Specter learned that the Patriots have been videotaping opponents since 2000, something that wasn't clear when the league concluded its investigation in September.

In a post-meeting press conference, Specter elaborated. The senator said that "there were notes showing that the Steelers games had been taped." Specifically, two contests during the 2004 season: one on Oct. 31, and the other, the AFC Championship, on Jan. 27.

What has not been said is whether or not this is common practice in the NFL.. I suspect that this has been going on league wide for a long time, and the Pats are in focus.. true to his nature, BB is taking the bullet for a lot of guys, by taking the high road.. Bill has broad shoulders, but this is bordering on the absurd. Doesn't Specter have better things to do??

God, this would be a lot easier to handle right now with a 19-0 season under the belt.

One measly comment from any one of the 3 NE Senators on that committee sure would be nice.

Something like: "I wouldn't dream of wasting the taxpayers' money on this nonsense."

I know Kennedy only pays attention to sports involving Yachts; but come on Senators Leahy and Whitehouse! Throw us a fricken bone here:mad:

If the Steelers are too stupid to change their signals from a regular season game to the AFC Championship game, then they deserve to lose, regardless of whether anyone is taping them or not.

idiots.

Last edited:
One measly comment from any one of the 3 NE Senators on that committee sure would be nice.

Something like: "I wouldn't dream of wasting the taxpayers' money on this nonsense."

I know Kennedy only pays attention to sports involving Yachts; but come on Senators Leahy and Whitehouse! Throw us a fricken bone here:mad:

One comment from ANYONE in the New England area would be nice. I would even be happy if Mush Mouth Menino piped up support at this point (not that we would understand him, of course).

Spector better set up a senate inquiry immediately! The American people deserve to know about lawful Patriot taping from seven years ago! It's not like Congress has anything more important on it's plate.

Spector is a perfect poster child for the benefits of term limits. He's morphing from a baffoon to an embecile.

You have to give BB credit.

If i was the coach, i would have been singing 2 minutes after the superbowl ended.

I wish that someone somewhere could answer the very specific question of exactly when taping from the sidelines was made illegal.

the 2006 memo?
an earlier memo?
before or after the 2004 Super Bowl?
before or after 2000?

I have a feeling the practice was widespread, and the motive was really to annoy the other team (who KNEW you were taping), forcing them to frequently change their signals, and you might benefit from some miscommunication on their part.

At some point people complained and said that this is a stupid practice and we all hate spending so much time re-working signals. Just like a defensive player flinching and provoking a false start by an offensive lineman became prevalant and was outlawed, the issue was discussed and a directive was issued. The key issue is WHEN!

I wish that someone somewhere could answer the very specific question of exactly when taping from the sidelines was made illegal.

the 2006 memo?
an earlier memo?
before or after the 2004 Super Bowl?
before or after 2000?

I have a feeling the practice was widespread, and the motive was really to annoy the other team (who KNEW you were taping), forcing them to frequently change their signals, and you might benefit from some miscommunication on their part.

At some point people complained and said that this is a stupid practice and we all hate spending so much time re-working signals. Just like a defensive player flinching and provoking a false start by an offensive lineman became prevalant and was outlawed, the issue was discussed and a directive was issued. The key issue is WHEN!

from what Goodell is saying, it was "illegal" before 2000

I knew Spectre and the media would spin it this way. Instead of talking about the fact that Goodell stood firm on why the tapes were destroyed and that there is no other evidence re: the Rams SB walk-through, there are endless stories about the shocking revelation that there was videotaping since 2000, even though this was already reported back in September.

naturally, the average fan of the other 31 teams wouldn't have the IQ to figure this out.

From a football perspective, this is the dumbest story ever. However, from a business perspective, "spygate" does make sense. The league cannot afford any challenges to it's copyright of the games. Some lawyer could figure out how unauthorized taping gets someone around this.

This particurly true with today's youtube world.

One comment from ANYONE in the New England area would be nice. I would even be happy if Mush Mouth Menino piped up support at this point (not that we would understand him, of course).

There are 6 NE states. So if 1/2 of the 12 Senators would tell Spector to STFU, it would be nice.

... the shocking revelation that there was videotaping since 2000, even though this was already reported back in September.

it may have been reported, but I don't think it was "known fact" (unless my memory is failing me). for the difference between "reported" and "fact", just see the Tomase/Rams story.

Last edited:
Wow, is Spector up for re-election soon?
Maybe he's trying to drum up some votes in the Pittsburgh area.
This guy is a real crusader for justice.
And some back-up from some local politicians would be nice indeed.

I don't see his quote that way. At the time Belichick gave his interpretation (September) Goodell said that his interpreation of the rule is false. Many though have alluded to the 2006 memo as when the policy was specifically spelled out.

If that is true, then Belichick's interpretation became wrong only because the rule changed (or was created), and anything that happened before that date is just silly grandstanding.

And, maybe, just maybe, the fact that it's been going on since 2000--whether it was legal or not--is the reason why the penalty was as large as it was?

But people are still missing the fact that Goodell said that the penalty he imposed represented a penalty for the "totality" of what the Pats admitted to doing. He also said that there would be no additional penalties unless new information came to light, but there's nothing new here.

If only more people in the media had, you know, brains. . . .

I think the official rules banned the use during the game of videotaping on the field and the 2006 memo specified on the sidelines. My understanding is that Bill interpreted the rules to mean he could not use the video during the game, but he could record for future use. Goodell also mentioned in his press conference before the Superbowl that they could not determine whether all materials were obtained against league rules, so they destroyed them all. Goodell seems pretty clear about the 2006/2007 stuff being against his interpretation of the rules, so I think it is questionable whether the pre-2006 material was against that interpretation.

Unfortunately, I think Bill now has to come out and go through all of the machinations as to why this was obtained and how many others are doing it.

Last edited:
The equivalent is the after the 2003 AFCCG, when our lil friend from Indy cheated by forcing the Rules Committee to change.. ( I mean interpret) illegal contact for the benefit of one team. If you are dumb enough to believe in "spygate", the Dolts should be awarded this game.

BB should have known that taping 2000-2004 was "illegal" because he should have known that a memo would come out in 2006.

Let's face it, debating facts is quite useless. This whole saga is designed to interest the moron segment of the fan base.

Look at this idiot "makewayhomer". The guy comes to a Pats board and makes one ****** post after another. Do you seriously think "spygate" can ever go away for someone who has fantasy based reality.

We are always going to have these "spygate" homers like we do with Roswell, Kennedy, Bigfoot, Area 51, 9/11 and every other lunatic conspiracy theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes