PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Specter: Goodell's explanations don't pass scrutiny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Breaking "Spygate" news

You might have a valid point if boston was actually larger then Indianapolis to bad you are way out in left field here. Here is the rankings on infoplease.com 13. Indianapolis Indiana 785,597 22. Boston Massachusetts 590,763 and lucas oil filed is owned by Indianapolis. and what nascar or indycar series race makes more money than ours a bigger city hosting nascar nope your point is moot. Get facts before you make yourself look stupid Dallas and New York might benefit but boston sure as hell would not.

The above post is one of the funniest I have ever read.

1) Population of a politically gerrymandered city line means nothing.
- There are far more people living within 10 miles of downtown Boston than downtown Indianapolis.
- Those people are, per capita, FAR more wealthy than the gomers and goobers living in and around India-no-place.
- I'll spare you and not even comment on the intellectual and economic power disparities between the two populations.

2) What does BOSTON have to do with the comparison? Gillette Stadium is in Foxboro, MA. These are the New England Patriots. Your state has far more encroachment of Bears, Packers and Browns fans than the 6 states of New England have to put up with concerning the southern half of Connecticut for the NY teams.

3) Actually, Lucas Oil Field is owned by several lending institutions (many of them partially owned by the governments of China and the United Arab Emirates). When the STATE of Indiana finally pays off the bonds floated to finance the extortion perpetrated by Irsay (funny, "Boston" and Massachusetts never had that same knife to its throat taken seriously - - perhaps it was known that no franchise in it's right mind would leave?) then the STATE of Indiana will own their own paid for stadium.

Meanwhile, the man who built Gillette stadium in an undesirable place in Massachusetts is now building A 1.3 MILLION SQUARE FOOT mini city around it. So in summation, Massachusetts gives little ($73 million for roads and infrastructure) to vastly improve a hinterland area of its state, while Indiana pays through the nose and gives up prime downtown land in its largest city to stave of Irsay's team from moving. Yeah, Gomer, sounds like "advantage Indiana" to me!!!!!

4) Come to us with an argument when you can compare Indianapolis to Boston economically, intellectually, culturally, historically, architecturally, etc. But hey, you DO have NASCAR. Congrats. That puts you up there with Daytona, Florida and Biloxi, Mississippi.

hey ahh, Chuck.U.Farley...how that post work out for ya?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Because it's not important enough. Not even close. Neither is the steroids crap. The NFL and MLB have their existence riding on the fans supporting the game, it's up to them to run it. Sphincter has no business wasting our tax dollars on this crap and quit throwing out the blanket "anti trust exemption" crap. That doesn't give Sphincter the right to hang it over the NFL's head every time the little prick wants something.

You are right about baseball's issues and this way overblown taping issue. This is really deflection away from the two issues that plague both leagues: parity in MLB and CBA in the NFL. The NFL owners could very well negate the CBA at the end of this season, leaving 2009 UNCAPPED. That is an issue they would rather resolve but it looks like an uphill battle right now. Steroids and taping are smokescreens, hiding the real challenges the leagues face at the moment. I think it is really funny that Clemems (and I am not a big fan) has to go to the Hill when there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of players in MLB and minors, past and present, that have taken performance enhancing drugs for years and years. It is a circus sideshow and it is ridiculous. Same thing with the taping. I can't believe how many people buy this crap that is being shovelled at them.

So CUF:
a. In this multi-billion dollar league where each team employs hundreds of people in terms of coaches, players, personnel, etc. you mean to tell me that BB's 7 year stretch of videotaping from a wide open sideline with a handheld video camera, by a member of the Patriots organization was so well shrouded, it was not found out about until 2007?

If so, BB should quit and go work for the Joint Chiefs of Staff running spec ops.

b. If Superbowl walk throughs were so secretive, how did an unidentified member of the Patriots gain access to the Rams practice mere months after 9/11 when security was at an all time high?

c. Why have other coaches come out and said this is no big deal?
d. Why have former players come out and said it goes on all over the league?

Are we truly to believe that 7 years of taping in the above mentioned fashion was so well guarded that no team in the NFL was able to catch them? Kind of makes you wonder if they even cared, huh?

Why change signals if you're not being watched right?

I don't agree with Goodell destroying the tapes, simply because of the ****storm it has created, but I really hope this investigation blows up to league wide proportions. I'm so sick of naive fans thinking it's a one team infraction.

I wish they'd investigate blatantly poor officiating in certain games that would seem to jibe with 'league interests.' i.e. Superbowl 40, 2007 AFCCG, 2006 Steelers/Colts game, etc.

I'm glad the investigation continues. Even if the problem is league wide, it has to stop. Unfortunately for you Pats fans, it must come at the Patriots expense. BB is the face of this scandal, and Goodell is looking more and more like a co conspirator. Amazing how this thing got so little press... the NFL is a powerful force.

Even the most die hard Pats fan wants to see the game of football without the cheating in the future, but has to own the fact that the Patriots have to be the whipping boy for this garbage to stop.

This is brainless. It'll never stop. How are you going to police it. I can just as easily steal those signals with my own two eyes. Stop being a crybaby and a whiner. Your team sucks. Live with it.

You might have a valid point if boston was actually larger then Indianapolis to bad you are way out in left field here. Here is the rankings on infoplease.com 13. Indianapolis Indiana 785,597 22. Boston Massachusetts 590,763 and lucas oil filed is owned by Indianapolis. and what nascar or indycar series race makes more money than ours a bigger city hosting nascar nope your point is moot. Get facts before you make yourself look stupid Dallas and New York might benefit but boston sure as hell would not.

Are you seriously making this argument?

Do you even know what a television market is?

The NFL enjoys anti-trust freedoms. A lot of NFL stadiums are paid for with tax payer dollars... that makes them accountable to the government and the tax payers. Millions of tax paying fans need to know the games are legit, so I can't understand why anyone would think this is a waste of government time.

I'm glad the investigation continues. Even if the problem is league wide, it has to stop. Unfortunately for you Pats fans, it must come at the Patriots expense. BB is the face of this scandal, and Goodell is looking more and more like a co conspirator. Amazing how this thing got so little press... the NFL is a powerful force.

Even the most die hard Pats fan wants to see the game of football without the cheating in the future, but has to own the fact that the Patriots have to be the whipping boy for this garbage to stop.

Please go eat some Flutie Flakes and leave this forum alone. It's time for you to suspend hopes that your Bills can improve their lot in the AFC East other than on the football field.

Florio's update:

POSTED 8:39 a.m. EST, February 15, 2008

SPECTER PRESSES FORWARD, WITH SUPPORT

Surely, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell hoped that Wednesday's meeting with Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) was the last chapter in a book that Goodell can't wait to finish. For Specter, however, there still are many pages left.

Specter plans to press forward with his investigation of the manner in which the league handled the Spygate scandal. According to Mike Fish of ESPN.com, Specter claims that he has the support of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Specter said that Leahy is "prepared to have the committee pay for people who travel and investigate." While that's a far cry from a hearing like the Rocket-and-Pony show that unfolded this week before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, it's a step toward what ultimately could be a full-blown Congressional inquiry.

In our view, it's important for Specter to show that other Senators are on board with his efforts. As we argued on Thursday, Specter's solo act was at its ending point. Though there are questions that still need to be answered, the mission needs to take root with others in Congress before it can be taken seriously.

Fish also explains (and we can't recall ever seeing this before) that the materials surrendered by the Pats were destroyed in Foxborough by Jeff Pash and Ray Anderson.

Pash's role in this matter is critical, in our view. Pash, you see, is a Harvard-educated lawyer. He practiced for 13 years with Covington & Burling, the firm that still handles the league's work. And any practicing lawyer (even those who went to far less prestigious schools and work for far less prestigious firms) know that the prospect of destroying potential evidence is a serious matter.

Pash's involvement in the destruction of the the evidence surrendered by the Patriots tends to corroborate rumors (we repeat: rumors) that the materials turned over by Patriots coach Bill Belichick included evidence of cheating by other teams sufficiently widespread to give the league office concerns regarding the potential impact of the evidence on the network broadcasting contracts, which apparently contain language warranting that the on-field competition is real.

Again, that's only a rumor. But we believe that there had to be a very compelling reason for Pash to permit the information to be destroyed. A concern that the league couldn't keep the information out of the hands of the media isn't, in our view, anywhere close to the level that would prompt an officer of the court to disregard the kind of common sense that every lawyer acquires at some point during his or her career.

We are getting closer and closer to this "league wide evidence" rumor coming to the forefront. If thats the type of investigation Congress wants to bring, I'm all for it. Should shut up the "CHEATERS!1!" morons just a bit.

I don't understand why Florio and Specter are freaking out about the "destroying evidence" though. No one broke any laws. No one destroyed any evidence of a crime. It was a rule. This lawyer did nothing wrong.

Florio's update:

We are getting closer and closer to this "league wide evidence" rumor coming to the forefront. If thats the type of investigation Congress wants to bring, I'm all for it. Should shut up the "CHEATERS!1!" morons just a bit.

It might help to take the heat off the Patriots but it might also help Specter remove the the NFL's anti-trust exemption which won't be good for anyone.

Just found this article from Dec 2006. VERY INTERESTING!!

Seems as though Specter has other motives.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2690171&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
Where have you been? We have been discussing the Comcast connection here since the news broke that Specter was involved - I think Shmessy gets the credit for first disclosing the connection. Anyway, here are the top three reasons Specter is interested in Spygate:

1. Pandering to ignorant Eagles fans

2. Comcast - 2nd biggest campaign contributor

3. Blank Rome LLP - biggest campaign contributor - law firm and lobbiest whose biggest client is - you guessed it - Comcast

http://opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.asp?CID=N00001604&cycle=2008

http://opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?cycle=2008&cid=N00001604

It might help to take the heat off the Patriots but it might also help Specter remove the the NFL's anti-trust exemption which won't be good for anyone.

Which is potentially another reason why BB and the Krafts are quiet - they are taking one on the chin for "team NFL."

Last edited:

Stadiums may or may not be paid for with tax dollars. IF they are, then the money comes from State and local governments NOT the federal government.

Under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution the Federal government is responsible for regulating interstate commerce. Which according to the Supreme Court is all commerce, though I believe the current Court has limited the scope of the Commerce Clause recently. I don't follow the Supreme Court as closely as I used to once I got a life after college. :)

The NFL is a multi-billion dollars interstate industry. The Federal government is supposed to regulate and monitor it. Name one billion dollar industry that operates in the US that isn't monitored or regulated by the government.

That being said the steroid investigations hinge around patterns of illegal activity in a multi-billion industry, and is warranted on some level, but "Spygate" isn't about illegal activity, it's about league rules violation and is unwarranted.

Specter is just trying to get himself some airtime and embarrass the NFL for the sake of Comcast.

Here, maybe these links will help you to understand how this works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TV_markets_and_major_sports_teams

http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Boston's overall population market is much larger than Indianapolis', and it's television market is as well.

It's not the Boston patriots it's the New England patriots. The pats have never been a Boston team. in fact they were close to moving to Connecticut. The simple fact is Boston would like to claim this team, but the Pats have always been all of New England. The stadium isn't even located in Boston.

LOL, that Florio rumor is quite a juicy ones for us Patriot fans to perpetuate.

If you read between the lines, it's quite clear that Tannenbaum and Mangini are persona non grata in the NFL office.

AND, it's on Goodell himself for sending out a memo on a rule he could NEVER possibly enforce. I think Goodell should resign and Steve Alic should take his place. Alic had the right idea when apprised of the Dolphins' "cheating" last year: he said, "That's Football!!"

For the sanity of the forum members, is it possible for the

moderators to consolidate all the Spygate information into

one thread?

For the sanity of the forum members, is it possible for the

moderators to consolidate all the Spygate information into

one thread?

You mean so we can wade through 10,000 posts on a single thread to get the insight we want?

I'm quite sane enough to determine what threads I want to read, and which I want to ignore.

Reading War And Peace is bad enough. Don't do this to us.

Where have you been? We have been discussing the Comcast connection here since the news broke that Specter was involved - I think Shmessy gets the credit for first disclosing the connection. Anyway, here are the top three reasons Specter is interested in Spygate:

1. Pandering to ignorant Eagles fans

2. Comcast - 2nd biggest campaign contributor

3. Blank Rome LLP - biggest campaign contributor - law firm and lobbiest whose biggest client is - you guessed it - Comcast

http://opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.asp?CID=N00001604&cycle=2008

http://opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?cycle=2008&cid=N00001604

Yes we were on that angle but I never did read an article about it till that one.

Leahy you friggin traitor.

Big shock, what should we expect from VT.

You can bet the house Leahy is a fan of New York City teams. Specter and Leahy must both chomping at the bit that they missed out participating in the free national exposure carnival event emceed by Waxman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3246788

What to make of all this??

3 important facts:
* Specter (R-Pa.) told ESPN.com that Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) offered support on Thursday for his inquiry into the New England Patriots' questionable videotaping practices, saying Leahy is "prepared to have the committee pay for people who travel and investigate." Leahy sat in on a part of Wednesday's session with Goodell and league counsel, Specter said.

* Later Thursday, the Steelers released a statement that read: "We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue. In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games. The Steelers fully support the manner in which Commissioner Goodell handled the situation and the discipline that he levied against those who violated league rules. We are confident that the Commissioner has taken appropriate action in his investigation of this matter, and will do so again if new information arises which requires further investigation and or discipline."

* " Specter said he was concerned to learn from Walsh's attorney that an NFL security representative, **** Farley, had been investigating Walsh. Specter said: "I confronted them on that, and Goodell says, 'Yeah, he [Farley] works for us. Yeah, he is a security guy, but we didn't know he was investigating him.'"

Aiello said Thursday that it is an overstatement to suggest the league is investigating Walsh.

"The only thing we're doing is looking at public records and trying to verify his employment history in an effort to learn about him," Aiello said.

how funny is that spector started all this with concerns over the eagles and steelers games and now the steelers say they had no impact on those games.
my respect for that organization for swiftly releasing that statement grew up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back