PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Special Teams Film Review... from the Panthers game

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After reading a bunch of the 53-man roster projections, and deciding that everyone is pretty much throwing darts, I decided to spend some time breaking down the game take from the 3rd pre-season game, focused specifically on ST contributors. I'm pretty sure the bubble decisions (e.g. keep Ebner? keep Boyce? keep Chung?) can be answered by trying to predict who our key ST contributors are going to be.

I came away with some surprising observations (for me anyway).

My Conclusions:
  • Rob Ninkovich is my new stealth-ST hero.
  • Edelman is a real master at PR. Really, he deserves Pro-Bowl consideration.
  • Ebner was constantly making plays. There is no way this guy doesn't make the roster. He's truly the ace on the unit.
  • Also making my radar: White, J.Davis, Buchanan, Wilson... these guys were all running with the 1s on Punt Return and made an impression with their blocking. Buchanan isn't as fast as the other three, but laid some bone crushing blocks that I appreciated. White and J.Davis were athletic, physical and smart. Those two, especially, showed me something that I wasn't expecting. And, I've put both of them on my 53-man on the strength of their ST play.
  • Credible: Chung, Arrington, Fleming and Finch. Finch ran well on PR on the 3rd team, and seemed ready to spring one at any moment (Edelman still blew him away). I think Finch has an outside chance at a roster spot as an apprentice KR/PR.
  • Under-impressive: Slater... asked to do a lot, but no big plays
  • Not enough: Bequette ran with the 3rd team Punt Return, and had no notable impact.
  • Not enough: if Boyce wants to make the team based on his ST contributions...well, I think that's not in the cards; he ran with the 3rd unit and was a non-factor. I think that's a shame and I hope he makes it on merit as a WR-- but even there, his body language [after chest bumping with McCuller after McCuller scored a Q4 TD] looked seriously dejected and defeated. I hope he shows well on offense in Game 4.
  • Dud: LaFell was running with the 1st team punt return, and looked out of place. Not sure what the thinking is with him. I hope this was a one time experiment. The guy seemed to avoid contact while blocking during an Edelman punt return that went right past him. I suppose LaFell is likely to make the roster if Boyce cant show more, but I think both of them are at risk when Tyms comes back from suspension. BTW, Tyms flashed a (very) little bit on 3rd unit punt return; his size helps.
  • Not seen: speaking of McCuller, who spent Q4 playing catch with Garoppolo, I'd love to see him on Punt Return in Game 4, playing in LaFell's spot. His contributions on offense are raw but productive. He looks physical and he looks willing. Love the guy's heart. If he can make the switch from D to O in a single off-season, I bet he can handle ST too.

My detailed notes:

Punt Unit
Q1
- Punter: Allen
- On the line: White, Fleming, Aiken, Buchanan, Collins
- Protectors: Wilson, Ebner, Chung
- Gunners: Arrington, Slater

Good play by Collins/Slater to turn the play inside, and by Wilson to seal the edge. Aiken with the terrific near-tackle in the open field, cleaned up by Ebner.

Q1
- Punter: Allen
- On the line: White, Fleming, Aiken, Buchanan, Collins
- Protectors: Wilson, Ebner, Chung
- Gunners: Arrington, Slater

This punt was flagged for penalties, so they ran it twice. On the first punt, my kudos go to Fleming, Chung and Ebner at the point of attack. On the re-punt, gold stars for White and Ebner. Worth calling out that on both punts, Ebner was running free and untouched downfield as the ball was received. Both times, he was at the ball carrier a full second before any of his teammates; any thought that he doesn't have a spot on the 53-man is now officially bogus in my mind.

Punt Return
Q1
- Return: Edelman
- On the line: Ebner, J.David, Buchanan, White
- Coverage: Ryan, Chung, Slater, Arrington, LaFell, Wilson

Good blocks by Ryan and Chung on one gunner. Ebner and Wilson with solid blocks. But on this play, my gold stars go to J.Davis and White for their blocking downfield.

Q1
- Return: Edelman
- On the line: Ebner, J.David, Buchanan, White
- Coverage: Ryan, Chung, Slater, Arrington, LaFell, Wilson
(same as prior punt return)

This is the play when Edelman springs a big return with a nifty spin move. One gunner seemed to get away from Slater and Arrington, but the play went away from them and this was a non-factor. With the long run-back, most everyone else had a part to play in the blocking. Ebner, J.Davis, Buchanan, White, Ryan and Wilson all showed up. The best blocking from J.Davis who held a block, then shed it to take on another would-be tackler directly at the point of attack, to give Edelman another 5 yards at least.

The only real whiff that I saw on the play was LaFell, who tried to put a shoulder on a guy when the play came right to him. He missed completely, looking entirely out of place especially with everyone else blocking with good form, solid stance and two hands. He looked more like a guy all turned around... or maybe just not interested in getting hurt.

Q2
- Return: Amendola
- On the line: White, Buchanan, J.Davis, LaFell
- On the wings: Arrington, Slater, Ryan
- Linebackers: Wilson, Ebner, Chung

Fair catch. Nothing to see here.

Q3
- Return: Finch
- On the line: Bequette, Skinner, Fleming, (Swanson?)
- On the wings: Butler, Boyce, Thomas
- Linebackers: Harmon, Tyms, (Gallon?)

Finch ran right, seemed to be tackled but landed on his feet. Everyone gave up on the play and he got up and kept running. Was ruled down, but on replay I think he might never have touched earth.

No one blocked especially well since the play was called dead so quickly. #30-something (who I think is Swanson) was run off the play by one of the gunners, but hard to know for certain if that was a good or bad thing.

Q4
- Return: Finch
- On the line: Skinner, Bequette, Fleming, Tyms
- On the wings: K.Davis, Thomas, Butler, Harmon
- Linebackers: Boyce, Swanson

No special notes. By this time in the game, pretty much everyone had stopped paying attention.

Field Goal
Q1
- Kicker: Gostkowski
- Holder: Allen
- Long Snapping:.... wait for it... ROB F*ING NINKOVICH
- On the line: Wendell, Kline, Cannon, Connolly, Mankins, Devey, Solder, Jones

I had to watch this kick eight or nine times because I was sure I was hallucinating. I have not seen it reported anywhere in the media that Ninkovich is long snapping for us. It's pretty certain he's just the emergency guy that BB wants to give game-time reps too. His ball was crisp and on target. Who the hell knew? I wasn't sure I could believe that it was #50 not #48 snapping the ball. I had to google it and turns out Ninkovich was being groomed as a long snapper with the Saints before he signed with the Pats. Wasn't mentioned by the commentators on the game film at all, and I assume they just didn't notice. F*ing Ninkovich.

Other than that, pretty uneventful FG. I suppose it's cool that Chandler Jones is on the field with all the offensive linemen we can muster.

The FG and XP units for the balance of the game were pretty unremarkable. I didn't see Ninkovich again. It was always #48.

Q4
- Holder: Allen (I think)
- Long Snapping: Aiken
- On the line: Maneri, Kline, Fleming, Halapio, Barker, Devey, Cave, Develin

Kickoff
Q1
- On the line: McCourty, Wilson, White, Ryan, Ebner, J.Davis, Slater, Buchanan, Harmon, Arrington

Q2
This same lineup for another KO in Q2.

Q3
Some subs came in for the KO unit:
- K.Davis for Ryan
- Browner for Arrington

Q4
More subs:
- Skinner for Buchanan
- Tyms for Harmon
- Swanson for Browner
- (other side of the field was not viewable)

None of these kickoffs are remotely interesting, because Gostkowski puts it Out every time.

Kick Return Unit
Q1
- End Zone: Finch and White
- Lead Blockers: Cannon, Devlin and (cant see the jersey number)
- Downfield: K.Davis, White, Arrington, Ebner, Fleming, Wilson

Kickoff went thru the endzone, so unable to evaluate performance

53-man
Based on this, here's my roster projection... predominantly ST players in Bold

QB (2) Brady, Garoppolo
RB (6) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, White, Develin, McCuller
WR (6) Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Slater, LaFell
TE (2) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (3) Connolly, Wendell, Stork
G (3) Mankins, Devey, Kline
T (3) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon
DE (3) Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan
DT (5) Wilfork, Easley, Vellano, Jones, Siliga
ILB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Beauharnais
OLB(4) Collins, White, Davis, Fleming
CB (5) Revis, Butler, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington
SS (3) Harmon, Wilson, Ebner
FS (2) McCourty, Chung
ST (3) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

Couple of notes:
- This roster reflects a change to the 2 split back sets with 0 TEs that we saw featured in the Carolina game. When that's where your talent is, you've got to scheme for it
- I've invented a roster spot for McCuller, playing 1st unit ST and FB depth behind Develin. This is just to satisfy my appreciation for our new roster binkie. In doing so I think I've stolen a roster spot that should have gone to either Moore or Worthy on the D-side. But I have no regrets. Moore to PS.
- I've stopped believing that Arrington is going to make this roster as a slot defender. Our depth is too impressive in front of him. I think he makes this team, and deservedly so, on the merit of his ST play. As a bonus, he's prime luxury depth on D in case of injuries.
- I have LaFell listed on the roster, but I only half-believe it. He's not a legit ST contributor that I can tell, and he's buried on the WR depth chart so deep as to be pretty marginal in value. For a veteran, that's not a great place to be. I would not be surprised if he didn't survive the next round of cuts, preferring to give the spot to a UDFA with upside who'll kill himself for the team and a bag of peanuts.
- Other than Boyce, there are no cuts that I really regret. I think Finch will clear to PS. And maybe Boyce will too.
- And I've released/traded Mallet. I think that move is pretty much clear by now.

Like most of what you say. I find your low opinion of LaFell puzzling as it seems BB and Tom
have expressed strong positive opinions of him. We'll see how it goes.

No offense, but it was reported during the game that Ninkovich took reps long-snapping and it was mentioned by several people. He's been the back-up long-snapper since he joined the team.

I love the idea of the thread, and find the info quite useful. That said, I am quite surprised by the OP's low opinion of Brandon LaFell too; not to mention that it'd be one costly cut to boot.

There are bound to be times when we have 5 real WRs active in games, so if Tyms makes it (a bit of an assumption at this point, due to preseason warriors in the past such as Childress, Sims, etc) after week #4, he is the one likely to be inactive.

Sometimes I think people automatically equate preseason underdogs to taking over key positions and being active, when the truth is that they are awfully lucky, not to mention thankful--just to make the team as an inactive reserve.

Sometimes I think people automatically equate preseason underdogs to taking over key positions and being active, when the truth is that they are awfully lucky, not to mention thankful--just to make the team as an inactive reserve.

This point cannot be supported enough, however, I'm close to admitting I was wrong about Butler, he may legitimately be carving himself a role, limited or full time, he's far closer than Tyms' is and should be one underdog who is active on game day.

I'll be very interested to see what role he plays during Browner's suspension, I'm still of the opinion that most of his work next to Revis is because a.) Browner will not play for 4 weeks, b.) Dennard is only just back on the field, c.) Ryan seems to be viewed better inside or at safety instead of outside (As Arrington obviously is too)

Also, sorry for that off topic nugget. I do appreciate the detailed breakdown of your findings and liked reading what you made of what you saw. A few other posters also do great work and put a lot of effort into it and it's always nice to gauge everyone and hear what different eyes see.

This point cannot be supported enough, however, I'm close to admitting I was wrong about Butler, he may legitimately be carving himself a role, limited or full time, he's far closer than Tyms' is and should be one underdog who is active on game day.

I'm in that camp as well, strngplyr. I first thought of Butler as a player like Tyms as well, but now believe that he'll be participating in live game reps. I still don't believe that he's automatically jumped veteran players on our CB chart, but yes--I believe that he'll definitely be in the mix to see time.

Tyms--not nearly as much, but he could be viewed as our "developmental" WR who is more in the mix for 2015 and beyond. That said, I'm still not 100% convinced that Tyms won't be on our practice squad and will be taking up a spot on the 53. We will have to see, as the decision doesn't have to be made until after week 4 (unless he's cut, of course).

Belichick may actually view it as a positive to cut him on Saturday and then add him to the PS, since other teams may be turned off by the 4 game suspension. It could actually end up helping to get him through to the PS. Just a thought...who knows how it will play out?

53-man
Based on this, here's my roster projection... predominantly ST players in Bold

QB (2) Brady, Garoppolo
RB (6) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, White, Develin, McCuller
WR (6) Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Slater, LaFell
TE (2) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (3) Connolly, Wendell, Stork
G (3) Mankins, Devey, Kline
T (3) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon
DE (3) Jones, Ninkovich, Buchanan
DT (5) Wilfork, Easley, Vellano, Jones, Siliga
ILB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Beauharnais
OLB(4) Collins, White, Davis, Fleming
CB (5) Revis, Butler, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington
SS (3) Harmon, Wilson, Ebner
FS (2) McCourty, Chung
ST (3) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

Couple of notes:
- This roster reflects a change to the 2 split back sets with 0 TEs that we saw featured in the Carolina game. When that's where your talent is, you've got to scheme for it
- I've invented a roster spot for McCuller, playing 1st unit ST and FB depth behind Develin. This is just to satisfy my appreciation for our new roster binkie. In doing so I think I've stolen a roster spot that should have gone to either Moore or Worthy on the D-side. But I have no regrets. Moore to PS.
- I've stopped believing that Arrington is going to make this roster as a slot defender. Our depth is too impressive in front of him. I think he makes this team, and deservedly so, on the merit of his ST play. As a bonus, he's prime luxury depth on D in case of injuries.
- I have LaFell listed on the roster, but I only half-believe it. He's not a legit ST contributor that I can tell, and he's buried on the WR depth chart so deep as to be pretty marginal in value. For a veteran, that's not a great place to be. I would not be surprised if he didn't survive the next round of cuts, preferring to give the spot to a UDFA with upside who'll kill himself for the team and a bag of peanuts.
- Other than Boyce, there are no cuts that I really regret. I think Finch will clear to PS. And maybe Boyce will too.
- And I've released/traded Mallet. I think that move is pretty much clear by now.

Interesting reasoning. 7 LBs is a luxury, however, even given the ST play, especially with McCuller also being kept. And I don't see how Cameron Fleming gets cut before his rookie season starts.

Great work. Thanks. I must confess you confused me by putting McCuller on the team as an STer, after he got zero reps in the game, which is not surprising for someone learning a new position. At least you qualified it below. Got a pick between Worthy and Moore for the actual 53rd player? ;)

Great work Rook. Miss your posts here. Only a couple of slight disagreements. We'd lose Moore and Fleming if we don't protect them. Pass rushers are too hard to find and we don't cut 4th round picks in their first camp. I'd take Moore over a 7th lb and Fleming over a C. Not sure what he's going to do there. Stork to IR?? Cut Wendell?? Doubt if we release Mallett at this point. If Jimmy G is playing, god forbid. You really do need an experienced qb behind him just to help with preparation. Or, if he's throwing a stinker. Can't see McCullers on 53 at Mallett's expense.

Thank you, rook!! I hadn't even been trying to fill out the last few slots on my roster for exactly this reason. I keep hearing White, J. Davis, K. Davis, Wilson, Ebner and Chung tossed around as "key ST players" but no real clue about their roles or impact.

I think LB depth is the trickiest spot to project at this point. If you keep both White and J. Davis with the plan for them to be on the 45 playing special teams, I think you have to trust one of the two at LB. Yet to my eyes they're behind Fleming, Morris and Beauharnais on defense.

I think LB depth is the trickiest spot to project at this point. If you keep both White and J. Davis with the plan for them to be on the 45 playing special teams, I think you have to trust one of the two at LB. Yet to my eyes they're behind Fleming, Morris and Beauharnais on defense.

Have you actually seen enough of Morris to put him ahead of White and Davis, or are you basing that on the green dot he wore and limited effectiveness of the other two? IIRC, Morris was a ST maven at Iowa, so it will be interesting to see whether he gets reps this week.

Have you actually seen enough of Morris to put him ahead of White and Davis, or are you basing that on the green dot he wore and limited effectiveness of the other two? IIRC, Morris was a ST maven at Iowa, so it will be interesting to see whether he gets reps this week.

Yeah, it's a small sample size. All I can really say on Morris is that I tried to focus on him when he was in, and liked what I saw. Morris is a little undersized -- but Ja'Gared Davis is even smaller at 6'0 238.

I suspect I'm just trying to project a backup who's an ILB type, and find myself disenchanted with Beauharnais. I see D. Fleming as a lock outside.

Thank you for doing this. It's very helpful.

I've said all along that Ebner is a lock for this team. Of course, I've also had White and Davis not making the team ... we'll see how that one goes.

I find myself disenchanted with Beauharnais. I see D. Fleming as a lock outside.

That's pretty much where I am. I see Fleming as a lock, and I want to find someone that I like inside. His interception aside, Beauharnais underwhelms me. White and Davis seem mainly like STers. I was high on Morris when the Pats first signed him, and I'm hopeful that his reported increased reps are a sign that he's coming on strong, but I'm really just grasping at straws.

I always appreciate an emphasis on Special Teams.

OFFENSE - NITPICKING
1) I don't think that OL Fleming will the the first 4th rounder Belichick ever cut. He's been OK. Also, we need the 4th OT with OT's taking on the 3rd TE role.

2) I don't see why McCuller isn't Practice Squad material. I would rather have 10 OL's than have McCuller on the 53. Also this spot could go to Gray or Boyce.

3) Having 7 LB's and 8 DT's isn't all that uncommon. You properly focus the issue. It is the special teamers or the backup DL's (1 or 2 of Worthy, Moore and Bequette). Do we we need so many LB special teamers when we have all FIVE safeties playing special teams? I would hope that we would opt for one fewer LB or S.

AN ASIDE
The defensive starters will get many, many more Special teams reps during the regular season than they got in the preseason.

I find the analysis above interesting on another point - the dog that didn't bark.
No role through the first two or three quarters for Harmon, Beauharnais, Tyms, and Butler? That's interesting - players like that typically need a strong ST presence to make the roster.

Rodney Harrison had a key ST role while he was a leader on defense. I would have expected Harmon to have more of a role - he is behind Chung and Wilson here. While many expected the starting safety role to be his to lose, he's really done very little this preseason on defense or special teams.

Very interesting perspective
* A little depressed about LaFell as it indicates a less than the Full Tilt Full Time mindset I admire
* I've long felt Ebner was an ST ace, good to see confirmation
* Finch is not doing enough to be on the 53; PS for him
* Despite STs I would be SHOCKED to see McCuller make the 53; props to you if it happens
* Boyce has to be history; will get scooped up onto someone's 53

Great work Rook. Miss your posts here. Only a couple of slight disagreements. We'd lose Moore and Fleming if we don't protect them. Pass rushers are too hard to find and we don't cut 4th round picks in their first camp. I'd take Moore over a 7th lb and Fleming over a C. Not sure what he's going to do there. Stork to IR?? Cut Wendell?? Doubt if we release Mallett at this point. If Jimmy G is playing, god forbid. You really do need an experienced qb behind him just to help with preparation. Or, if he's throwing a stinker. Can't see McCullers on 53 at Mallett's expense.

Then why didn't BB bring in a QB3 with Hoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots