Welcome to PatsFans.com

Special Teams, Especially the Defense

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Apr 7, 2006.

1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +274 / 18 / -2

We have three units. These special team unit have their own starters, backups and stars.

We often talk about 25 or 26 on defense. I don't think that's quite right.

We usually have 21 defensive players, some of which play special teams. 7 DL's, 7 LB's and 7 defensive backs. That's what we need to play defense.

We also have 4-5 players whose primary role is special teams.
  2. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

good point. It does seem as though BB is taking his embrace of the importance of ST's to a new level. Filling out the roster with ST players like Izzo, Tebucky, Mel Mitchell and - who else - could really make that 1/3 of a football team truly "special."
  3. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Last year our ST's were soft. I mean they barelly kept anyone on the ground at times. Chatham IMO was bad last year along with TBC, and even Izzo. The only real bright spot at times was Andre Davis and Davis.
  4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This post makes an excellent point. We all know how quickly a game can turn because of special teams. The importance of the "3rd unit" cannot be overstated. We know it, and so does BB.
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree...offense and defense..actually 6 different units...when you think of it...all important. and quite different 4 have to do with field position..the other getting points on the board. Not really sure who plays on which...especially the lines...I think important facets that are overlooked.
  6. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

ST's is a key unit for the defense. If the ST's is good enough to hold their ground and the opposing team at or around the 20 yard line then that tremendously helps a defense. Especially ours who (up until last season) did not allow big yardage plays and made the opposing team work to get down the field.
  7. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think the primary reason why ST play has declined in the past two years is because of all the injuries. Injuries test your depth, and one of the first places you see weakness in depth is on special teams. In BBs system starters play ST and starters get tired, especailly when they aren't in a rotation because of injuries. We brought in a ton of street guys over the past two years during the season and a lot of those guys got on the field as part of the ST units. It's hard to pick a guy up on Wednesday and throw him out on the PR unit on Sunday and expect him to be in complete sync with the 10 other guys.
  8. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like this thread a lot..... Clearly there are 3 units on a successful football team and obviously a lot of teams pay lip-service to special teams. Last year we covered KO's OK but punt coverage was awful. Speed and attitude needed here, so BB signs Mel Mitchell and brings back Tebucky Jones. Chatham is gone and who knows how much Izzo has left in the tank. I wouldn't call either of partcularly fast. I always want a mean, fast, nasty blow-up the other teams return team and I think we're all gonna like this years unit...:rocker:
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Well said...
  10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, nothing like causing a few loose balls on punt coverage. That'll cure yer ills.
  11. mgteich

Ratings:
    +274 / 18 / -2

Our kick coverages should be much improved; even 2 yards per kick is HUGE. We have added a kicker with muich longer range and Tebucky. These are large improvements for the kick coverage units. I think Mitchell will be fighting it out in camp.
  12. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Why do you say that Gramatica has (present tense) much longer range than Adam did in 2005??
  13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +274 / 18 / -2

Gramatica was great (and long) before his injury. We've invested little. I expect him to have no trouble being better than Adam was last year, especially on kickoffs.

Last year, we punted from the 40 and missed when we were at the 36 (43 yard kick). It would be great to move those decisions out a few yards.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Actually they usually went for it at the 36 because it's a 53 yd FG attempt, not a 43 yarder. (7 back and the 10 at the end of the end zone). But I agree with the rest of your premise.
  15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I don't remember where I saw it but there was a BB quote how ST can affect a game by about 100 yds in field postion and that ultimately can lead to three points in a game.

Just my $0.02,
  16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Absolutely. And 3 points a game is a pretty conservative estimate.
    ST's neede a retooling imo, and we seem to be in the midst of it.
    Nothing deflates an opponent like causing a turnover with you punt team and giving your O a short field to work with. Not to mention it puts their D right back on the field after they thought they stopped you. That's gotta demoralize them, not to mention tiring them out.