Welcome to PatsFans.com

Spanish Court Weighing Indictments of Bush-era War Criminals

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Mar 31, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Just think if these guys are indicted they won't be able to leave the country......ever. And if the judge eventually does the same to Bush and Cheney neither will they. Now if BO would just turn a blind eye to prosecuters here. (He doesn't at all interested in anything they might have done). Because NO ONE is above the law,not even this crew.

Matthew Yglesias Spanish Court Weighing Indictments of Bush-era War Criminals

For a long stretch of the late Bush years I wondered if Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzón, famous for his prosecution of Pinochet and other efforts to assert universal jurisdiction over international human rights law, would put the Bush administration in his sights. And now it seems he has: “The officials include former attorney general Alberto Gonzales, former undersecretary of defense for policy Douglas Feith, former Cheney chief of staff David Addington, Justice Department officials John Yoo and Jay S. Bybee, and Pentagon lawyer William Haynes.”

The New York Times reports that “Spain can claim jurisdiction in the case because five citizens or residents of Spain who were prisoners at Guantánamo Bay have said they were tortured there.” They also observe that “some American experts said that even if warrants were issued their significance could be more symbolic than practical, and that it was a near certainty that the warrants would not lead to arrests if the officials did not leave the United States.”
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

This may prove interesting, but doubt if anything will ever happen.. the wide reaches of the previous men in power still have a lot of influence.. if I were Judge Baltasar Garzón I would watch my back.
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I think this may come to something even though minor. These people will never be able to leave the country....Ever thats not a minor detail for them. I don't think that these people carry that much weight if any in Spain. Europe on the whole is just waiting to grab some of these guys and send them to the Hague.

Imagine if this lead to Bush and Cheney and the former POTUS and VP couldn't leave the country.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Still do not see this happening.. perhaps it is my skepticism that many things that have happened will continue to be covered up or some things will be taken care of.