PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sox should have kept Millar!

mtbykr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With everything that went on this offseason, I wish the sox would have kept Millar. Yes I know he had a bad offensive year last year, but it was reported many times what he did off the field. Now Tizzle is addressing those issues:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=127054

Here are a few quotes:

Millar, as long as he was here, he kept this ballclub going, one way or the other

Specifically, Ortiz noted the work Millar did to make a happier environment for Ramirez, who has often asked the Red Sox to trade him, a wish the club tried to accommodate during the offseason.

“He did a lot with Manny, trying to get him going,†Ortiz said. “Millar was an outstanding teammate. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to play with him again.â€

That says a lot!

Millar was a guy who relished playing in Boston, and would also take a lot of the media heat in the clubhouse. (thus keeping it away from othe guys who didn't react well to the media). He's gone now, however I wish the front office would have kept him around--I think he will be missed more than most people realize!

all that stuff is great but the guy cant run field hit or throw.maybe they should sign opra

well

patriotspride said:
all that stuff is great but the guy cant run field hit or throw.maybe they should sign opra

They won 90+ games every year he was here! They got to the ALCS in 03, the playoffs in 05, and oh yea---they won the world series in 04!

all i know is the two guys that are going to play first base are better than millar . i liked millar but they needed a upgrade at that position .you cant keep a guy thats just great in the clubhouse he needs to be able to play. your far to sentimental.if you want to be bummed about a guy leaving its bill mueller he can still play but he wanted to go out west.

Millar was a great teammate, but a below average 1B. Had he been contemplating retirement, I would have loved to have him as a bench coach for his off the field chemistry/antics that everyone in the clubhouse loved. But we needed an on-field upgrade.

well

patriotspride said:
all i know is the two guys that are going to play first base are better than millar . i liked millar but they needed a upgrade at that position .you cant keep a guy thats just great in the clubhouse he needs to be able to play. your far to sentimental.if you want to be bummed about a guy leaving its bill mueller he can still play but he wanted to go out west.

I am sentamental--i wish they would have kept the 04 team together in 05 to try and take anothe run at it. However in this case i am not saying it's my opinion and my emotion. I am showing what the players are saying! Ortiz is saying it, Tek said it earlier, and Tito said it earlier---this is not my opinion and thus if i am "being sentamental" has nothing to do with it. The players have said many times that Millar (and JD) had a drasitc impact on the team both on and off the field.

You need to realize that the mood and character of the clubhouse directly affects how players perform on the field. (players have said how Millar kept manny happy and loose---thus helping his performance on the field). With Millar, JD, (the crazy relaxed guys) and Mueller (the pro) the clubhouse character and chemistry has drastically changed and we won't know the effect for quite some time.

With regard to Mueller--he wanted to stay in boston (forget where i read it). He was hurt when the sox made no attempt to keep him, then when he set his sights elsewhere, he preferred to go out west-------but his first choice was boston, they just didn't want him anymore apparently!

well

28222 said:
Millar was a great teammate, but a below average 1B. Had he been contemplating retirement, I would have loved to have him as a bench coach for his off the field chemistry/antics that everyone in the clubhouse loved. But we needed an on-field upgrade.

I am not saying that we couldn't use an upgrade at 1st or that he was a great 1st baseman! The point i am making is that from what i have heard from the players; I think that removing him from the team will have a far greater negative impact that will upgrading a bit (position wise) at 1st!

Millar...a joke of a ball player and glad he is gone...the idiot culture has been exterminated. It was good for a one shot dream season and that was about it.

for all the good he supposedly did he also made Francona look weak...so it was not all positive. He was the tail wagging the dog and he used Manny as much as manny enjoyed him. Manny is enough of a competitor that he did not need Millar. His numbers before Millar were as good as the numbers with Millar...so Millar was a non-factor.

the title of your thread said the redsox should have kept millar .i dont think so .damon left he didnt have to he could have taken the 40 mill .bill mueller i loved the guy but you say he wanted to stay and maybe he did but they had to take lowel to get beckett .what wins more than anything else is players that are very good .the yankees have had a tense club house for years .the oakland As of the seventys used to kick the **** out of each other all the time but those teams won .

Last edited:
Would've won the division last year if Tito had benched his ass. Good riddance.

well

F.B.N. said:
Millar...a joke of a ball player and glad he is gone...the idiot culture has been exterminated. It was good for a one shot dream season and that was about it.

for all the good he supposedly did he also made Francona look weak...so it was not all positive. He was the tail wagging the dog and he used Manny as much as manny enjoyed him. Manny is enough of a competitor that he did not need Millar. His numbers before Millar were as good as the numbers with Millar...so Millar was a non-factor.

Obviously we disagree! It's funny how so many sox fans forget what he did for the sox because of the bad season last year---but i understand that. I will just stand on the fact that Millar was a big part of the 04 World Series Championship--remember that "one shot dream season"! ---and the players credit the biggest part of their comback to his attitude and "clubhouse chemistry". Mabey it was time to move on--i just think people don't give enough credence to what he brought to the team.

mtbykr said:
Obviously we disagree! It's funny how so many sox fans forget what he did for the sox because of the bad season last year---but i understand that. I will just stand on the fact that Millar was a big part of the 04 World Series Championship--remember that "one shot dream season"! ---and the players credit the biggest part of their comback to his attitude and "clubhouse chemistry". Mabey it was time to move on--i just think people don't give enough credence to what he brought to the team.

I see this a whole different way. I said before that series began that the RedSox were too predictable in their playcalling. It got so bad that the other team even seemed to know the pitch selections.

Having lost 3 games in a row the Sox just let Tito manage the old school way and the guys loved it....the shackles came off. Batters had more green lights and the pitchers were in their own groove instead of Bill Jame's groove.

Millar can have the credit...but it was over once the champagne dried. Millar had his one magical season, he got hot at the right time. He could be a decent player if he got his body in shape...but he likes being Rolly-Polly-Olly I guess.

Red Sox should have kept:

Rocket
Bags
El Tiante
Pudge
Babe
Dewey

and countless others

Millar was Lansing was Offerman was <insert overpaid journeyman here>

Why, why couldn't the Stinkies have swooped in and 'stolen' Millar when we wern't looking? That would have been perfect.

Flying Fungi said:
Red Sox should have kept:

Rocket
Bags
El Tiante
Pudge
Babe
Dewey

and countless others

Millar was Lansing was Offerman was <insert overpaid journeyman here>
who is bags? lol lol lol bogs maybe lol

He's talking about Jeff Bagwell, who was playing for the Astros at least until recently. He's had quite a career and we gave him up back when he was a prospect for some pitcher we rented for a couple of months in '89 or so.

They might also regret letting that Schilling kid go a few years ago.

The mere title of this thread is lunacy. Millar is a five tool can't player:
Can't hit
Can't field
Can't run
Can't keep his mouth shut
he Can't even join the union

Manny will be fine, is oblivion to all things is what allows him to play at high level. I think I spent all of last year *****ing about Millar and/or Rent-an-error, I don't know who I'm going to blame this year, but I'm working on it. I just plunked down the money for MLB Extra-Innings so my days of watching via the internet are mercifully over.

I think we should just look at it like this: Millar was a big part of our 2004 championship team and we all thank him for that, but in order to be successful in the future we had to move on. Millar we appreciate everything you did for us, good luck in the future, but we should be a better team without you.

sdaniels7114 said:
He's talking about Jeff Bagwell, who was playing for the Astros at least until recently. He's had quite a career and we gave him up back when he was a prospect for some pitcher we rented for a couple of months in '89 or so.

<hack>larry<wheeze>andersen<cough>

:enranged:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes