PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sources: Revis to line up on Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of maybes and mights in the story, which tells me the "sources" could be planting some misinformation here. Or maybe not. Either way, I'm pretty confident BB has thought about this (since everyone else seems to have).

This quote from the story shows how such move could open things up for the TEs (and RBs and Tait):

On plays when Revis covers Welker, Antonio Cromartie will shadow Moss on the outside with safety help. There's little chance of the Jets playing "Cover Zero" (i.e. – no safety help) when Cromartie is on Moss, sources said.

I have to think the jets' best plan is to have Revis on Moss and free up others to cover the rest of the Pats' offense.

Two thoughts entered my mind.

"Rex, are you really that ignorant putting Moss on Cromartie/Leonhard? I hope we call the Moss bomb slant from the colts game last year"

"Ok, call me nuts, I think Welker can beat revis 1 on 1. Noone can cover him 1 on 1.

"Ok, call me nuts, I think Welker can beat revis 1 on 1. Noone can cover him 1 on 1.

I agree. Welker will outwork Revis to/for the ball. In fact Revis will not be able to stay with Wes for 4 qtrs. He's not in game shape yet. Revis' phantom hamstring injury will become a reality after chasing/cutting to cover Wes all game long. :D

We need big games from edelman an d hernandez if Revis can successfully take Welker out of the game or even limit him.
Or maybe we'll see the reason we signed Danny Woodhead!
Imagine the look on rex's face if Woodhead is active and makes even one impact play!

this IMO is the most overhyped/overrated discussion of the game - revis vs moss ,revis vs welker.
it will be combined corner/safey/LB coverage on both those guys but people still want to hype it up.

I love the report's headline. It assumes that if Revis is on Welker that he will shut Welker down. I am not convinced.

yes, makes two of us...

though revis is damn good, it seems to be two completely different beasts to cover long and straightforward routes whihc moss runs and those pain in the ass routes wes manages

i think if revis is on welker he wont have a 100yd day, but to say hell be innefective...i totaly disagree

The fact remains that the a very good but not very deep defense especially when it comes to their secondary. The Pats are an elite and deeper than Marianas when it comes to offense. They have what is essentially 2 of the same guy. Also they have the ability to put 6 lineman on the field when Crumpler is out there. I think the Jets are in for a rough day regardless what they do. People did not mention that the strengths of the Ravens work right into the Strengths of the Jets which is why the game was so close. There one advantage on O was Boldin who had an awesome day. The Pats O is built to the Jets one weakness if you can call it that on D and that is depth of Secondary. Good Luck Rex you are gonna need it

I don't believe this is true but if it is this is good news for the Pat's. Welker can get open on anyone.

All I wanna know is if Revis is on Welker, who's covering Woodhead??

:D

I simply cannot believe what the article says about Fat Rex:

The Jets' head coach is a schematic genius, a master of disguise and deception wrapped in sound bites and one-liners.

Oh brother - no wonder everybody with an IQ over 50 hates the jets.

I don't believe this is true but if it is this is good news for the Pat's. Welker can get open on anyone.

mismatch mismatch:):):)

no way Revis can shut down Welker.

if he covers Welker Tate, Moss become that more dangerous:):)

The Jets can put Revis anywhere they want. Put him on Welker?? Great!
So who is covering Moss, Edelman, Gronk, Tate, Hernandez, Faulk et al?
~ Welcome to the 2010 edition of the New England Patriots ~

Swiss Army Knife.

I think this is actually smart by the Jets. No reason to use your top 2 CB's on the X and Y receivers when it's the Z that's killing you.

However, should be plenty of opportunities for Edelman if Pats go 4 wide, the TE's and the Y receiver.

By no means do I think Revis will completely shut Welker down, but it's a huge upgrade for the Jets over Welker vs. Kyle Wilson - which I thought was the biggest mismatch heading into the game.

This would only be combined with the Jets blitzing more than they already do. Welker is our answer to their blitz. They must be sending the kitchen sink AND taking away Welker and praying that Cromartie and company can cover for the couple of seconds that Tom Brady will have. I dont think Moss will benefit as much as our TE's down the seam. I'm a little more worried that I would be otherwise. I know the Jets blitz like crazy anyway, but I see them kicking it up a notch this week.

This is it an a great plan for beating the Patriots of last year. Now the Patriots have 3 TEs that the Jets are not going to know what to do with and last week Randy took a few short tough routes.

Last edited:
It does make sense to move Revis around, depending on down and distance.

1st and 10 on Moss. 3rd and 2 on Welker.

Although the adjustment I would make if they did that is to audible to have Welker run straight down the field and have Moss across the middle. This will either take Revis down the field with Welker leaving Cro/Wilson to take down Moss or Revis will cut off of Welker and head to Moss, leaving Welker 1 on 1 with a safety 10 yards down the field.

"Sources" identifying the defensive game plan? I know Rex is a talker, but you cannot be a "brilliant" defensive schemer if you announce your actual plan in advance.

With the receiving options the Pats have, where the Jets play Revis depends on whether the defense wants to get burned badly on a single play with Moss or bled slowly by Welker. If Revis cannot shut Welker down completely, then Brady will have more deep opportunities with Moss.

Last edited:
I love the report's headline. It assumes that if Revis is on Welker that he will shut Welker down. I am not convinced.

Me too. I'm guessing that covering Moss is predictable for a guy like Revis. Be able to run with him and stay on him like velcro. In the case for Welker, I hope Revis took a training tip from Mickey in Rocky and practiced chasing a chicken around to catch it.:D

Rocky: Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?
Mickey: First, because I said so. And second, is because chicken-chasing is how we used to train back in the old days. If you can catch this thing, you can catch greased lighting.

http://movieclips.com/watch/rocky-ii-1979/kentucky-fried-idiot/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes