PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sounds like we may be seeing more Underwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
he showed he's better then 34 year old Ocho who is not the same player when he's not haveing fun and better then Price who is not even Good a nuff to get a shot at returning Kicks,

Underwood was the forgeten man last week that why is was wide open but he Droped a pass so im not looking for him to get the ball thrown he's way again

Underwood is very impressive for producing the most sound uttered by Patriot fans watching the game on TV.

Or at least the longest string of profanities......I sounded like the father in the "Christmas Story"......Ole Ralphie would have really been covering those ears if he was at my house....:p)

He looked like he had the speed to get open deep. If he can get on the same page as Brady, we may have something of a burner here. That would definitely be a good thing. Can't say for sure how his blocking was as I didn't see him block yesterday, though.

OK but we've seen Matt Slater with deep burn speed. What they both have in common is the technique for catching the ball that looks like they're Kung Fu fighting an attack of the pigskin.

it shows that the pats system is so complicated that they need to scout for brains and not just receiving stats in college. It should actually help them as receivers who wouldn't make it anywhere else can make it here if they are smart enough. But unfortunately it's led to many busts as they draft players who are just too stupid to learn (chad jackson, bethel) or trade for them (ochostinko).

Last edited:
it shows that the pats system is so complicated that they need to scout for brains and not just receiving stats in college. It should actually help them as receivers who wouldn't make it anywhere else can make it here if they are smart enough. But unfortunately it's led to many busts as they draft players who are just too stupid to learn (chad jackson, bethel) or trade for them (ochostinko).

But see, that's where you'd fail as an evaluator too. It's not brains, it's instincts and capacity and drive. Bledsoe was a very smart guy. Couldn't run this offense to save his life. Ben Watson was extremely intelligent, just not instinctive. Had to think, and that often cost him and us. Guys like Welker and Branch and Brady don't have to think it through on the field. Ditto guys like Rodney and Tedy and Ty Law on defense. It just comes to them. They see it and process it in a nanosecond virtually without having to think. Hard to identify that guy based on what colleges ask of players and what college coaches grasp as significance.

It's not that guys who don't get it are stupid. Randy was one of the smartest football minds in the game. But that didn't really have a lot to do with his game which was predicated on freakish athletic ability or talent. Had be been willing or able to do the kinds of unselfish little things guys like Branch and Welker do on every snap whether they are the target or not, his career might have lasted longer. But elite athletes at that level seldom are willing to extend themselves beyond what got them this far...that was basically Drew's undoing, too.

But see, that's where you'd fail as an evaluator too. It's not brains, it's instincts and capacity and drive. Bledsoe was a very smart guy. Couldn't run this offense to save his life. Ben Watson was extremely intelligent, just not instinctive. Had to think, and that often cost him and us. Guys like Welker and Branch and Brady don't have to think it through on the field. Ditto guys like Rodney and Tedy and Ty Law on defense. It just comes to them. They see it and process it in a nanosecond virtually without having to think. Hard to identify that guy based on what colleges ask of players and what college coaches grasp as significance.

It's not that guys who don't get it are stupid. Randy was one of the smartest football minds in the game. But that didn't really have a lot to do with his game which was predicated on freakish athletic ability or talent. Had be been willing or able to do the kinds of unselfish little things guys like Branch and Welker do on every snap whether they are the target or not, his career might have lasted longer. But elite athletes at that level seldom are willing to extend themselves beyond what got them this far...that was basically Drew's undoing, too.

Well that's kind of my point too. I'm not talking book smarts, that's easy enough to measure, although it might correleate with ability to learn the playbook. I'm talking instincts too. Moss probably wasn't a genius is the classroom but picked up the playbook pretty fast. It's a little hard to measure but if you ask the college coaches how quickly they pick up concepts and understand the method of what the offense is trying to do, it might be a start.

Well that's kind of my point too. I'm not talking book smarts, that's easy enough to measure, although it might correleate with ability to learn the playbook. I'm talking instincts too. Moss probably wasn't a genius is the classroom but picked up the playbook pretty fast. It's a little hard to measure but if you ask the college coaches how quickly they pick up concepts and understand the method of what the offense is trying to do, it might be a start.

Only if the coaches you were asking taught their receivers to read and react and sight adjust to defenses, albeit none as complex as those they will face at the next level. College athletes get where they are basically by virtue of athletic ability or sheer determination. They don't ever operate within or face the level of talent and speed they will encounter at the next level. And that is why for all the stats and measurements and scouting reports it generates, drafting players is as much art as science. It's a little easier not to swing and miss entirely at the top of the draft, but it's really anyone's guess for the most part. Some guys have low floors and others have high ceilings they will never quite reach. Increasingly guys land here thinking in doing so they have arrived. Hard to get a lot more out of those guys whether they possess it or not.

I remember being impressed by Underwood in pre-season and hoping that he'd make the practice squad. I think he has a lot of potential and I hope he gets the chance to show his stuff...

OK but we've seen Matt Slater with deep burn speed. What they both have in common is the technique for catching the ball that looks like they're Kung Fu fighting an attack of the pigskin.

Hilarious! Awesome turn of the phrase. Good show my man!:rocker:

Ben Watson used to do that too. Is Underwood really that bad?

If it keeps happening, I'll call it a problem. As of right now, that's just one sample, and looked to be more of a product of his eyes getting wide as saucers knowing that he had the opportunity to take one deep. As for Slater, he can't get on the same page as Brady and only runs one route. If Underwood can get on that page, and run multiple routes, we'll have someone with deep speed on the outside that can loosen up the middle of the field. Of course, I've seen what's happened with the likes of Brandon Tate, so I'm not holding my breath either.

the drop was horrendous, but its really a small sample size for us to be hard on the guy...its also a small sample size to say that he'll be any good..

but brady calling him dependable and saying that he "really picked up the offense" and playing 19snaps after just being signed...to me speaks volumes that they think the kid has what it takes.

If Brady is to be taken at his word, this is enough to keep Underwood around for 2012. The open question is whether any of three backup receivers (Ocho, Price and Underwood) will produce much this year.

the drop was horrendous, but its really a small sample size for us to be hard on the guy...its also a small sample size to say that he'll be any good..

but brady calling him dependable and saying that he "really picked up the offense" and playing 19snaps after just being signed...to me speaks volumes that they think the kid has what it takes.

I'm glad you brought this up. I was yelling at the TV and cursing myself out for not checking the message board enough to hear about the pick up. I may or may not have compared that drop to Reche Caldwell's drop in the 2006 playoffs.

I very much hope I am wrong about that comparison...

More consistent play from the outside.Branch had a good game but then he goes in another game without making any plays.I have no hope with ochostinko.Its amazing how a guy completly looks lost after a decent career.

LOL@ the kung fu attack on a pig skin.

looked like he tried to catch it with his palms, the ball will bounce every time with that Stone handed technique.

it's all about the fingers baby!!!

according to a science experiment aided by a Jerry Rice, of course.

Last edited:
So Underwood is the guy to replace Donald Hayes, err, Chad Ochocinco?

I hope he is now stronger than when he came into the league. Do you all know why he dropped to the seventh round? It is because of 7 BP. 7!, He could only bench press 7 times. He had very weak upper body strength. I hope he has taken some protein powders and gained some muscles to help by now.

Taylor "how were you drafted in the 3rd round" Price

Molden was drafted in the third round. can't we get over this obsession that everyone drafted must make teams? why not look around the league at all third round picks and realize most every team has more spots to fill than us.

How many slot receivers were drafted while Welker was not?

You have to make the team. Thank God, on our team that means 1st rounders on down.

If you can't find a role, bye bye. Hang on somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back