Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sounds like the Pats are (still) completely in the Jets' heads

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by jmt57, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +623 / 0 / -3

New York Jets confident, talking Super Bowl as Rex Ryan eyes elusive AFC East division title | New York Daily News

Reading through this article, the first impression I got was that various Jet players were trying to convince themselves they had a good team. In other words, it's as if deep down they didn't really believe in themselves, but were trying to talk themselves into it by repeatedly saying things such as 'sure, why not us?'

To me that kind of talk is essentially whistling in the dark: you're saying something that you're not convinced is true.

Consider this: is there any other team that has made it to a conference championship game publicly saying or asking these type of things? I doubt it, and if so it's certainly not to the extent these players are. So why is that? The only conclusion I can come up with is that deep down they really don't believe in themselves and their chances.

I would expect this kind of talk from a team that is rebuilding, hasn't won in a long time, but is improving to the point of contending. I would expect this 'sure, why not us' talk from the Lions in regards to the Packers, or the Texans in regards to the Colts for example.

But from a team that has been in the playoffs each of the last two years?

I'd say the use of the term "confident" in the article's title might just be highly inaccurate. Sounds more like false bravado to me, which is baffling considering how well the Jets have done the last couple of years. Maybe all Rex Ryan's talk about the Patriots the last two years is having a counter-effect: the players see their coach so overly obsessed with the Pats that deep down in their subconscious they really think the Patriots are better than they are.

They may say their confident, but I don't know if I'm buying it.

2. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hahahaha this is classic. :D

Loved the "Maybe all Rex Ryan's talk about the Patriots the last two years is having a counter-effect: the players see their coach so overly obsessed with the Pats that deep down in their subconscious they really think the Patriots are better than they are" part.

3. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Sexy Rexy's obsession with BB on display again.

Just saw a press conference on NFLN where Rex said, and I'm paraphrasing: "Well, I think I'll make mistakes, but I'll make less than I did my first year. Everyone makes mistakes..... except Belichick... and I say that because it's probably true"

Can this guy get through one day without mentioning New England in any way? :rolleyes:

4. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Re: Sexy Rexy's obsession with BB on display again.

It's not an obsession with BB. Rex is trying to create media buzz, as usual.

5. strngplyr

strngplyr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +301 / 3 / -0

A media buzz by using his obsession.

6. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He mentioned feet? I didn't hear that. :rolleyes:

7. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,548 / 20 / -26

It's an obvious obsession...in fact, Ryan has ADMITTED he's obsessed with Belichick

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Obviously BB is in Rex's head... good place for him to be.

Fixate on the Pats and ignore everything else.

9. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,319 / 25 / -7

Woody Johnson has had an obsession with the Patriots since he bought the team. Ryan obviously is jealous of Belichick's hardware and wants a championship or two or three himself. He cannot get over the hump of winning the division. I think until he wins the division and/or a Super Bowl, Ryan will be obsessed with the Patriots.

10. eifmp

eifmp On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As a Jets fan I disagree. It won't be until Tom Brady AND Bill Belichick BOTH leave the team/retires. Then and only then will he not be obsessed. Imagine if he was here between 2001 - 2008 when the Jets only beat the Patriots 4 out of 17 times. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.