PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sounds like Reggie Wayne almost signed with NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP-Logick

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
From RapSheet:

Colts WR Reggie Wayne says on his official website it was a 2-team race for him at the end: "You Colts fans don't wanna know who the other team was. I'll let you figure that one out."

Could have been an AFC South team, of course, but it sure seems like he was hinting it was us.

Reggie Wayne hinted in his online journal the Patriots were a finalist to sign with him....it's true, they were, according to a source

Twitter

Not the choice I would have made, but at least Indy can say he's loyal.

I really don't think receivers with Wayne's general skill-set are a good fit for this offense. Wayne, like Stallworth, Galloway and Ocho (to varying degrees) are finesse receivers who thrive in rhythm and timing based offenses; Run fast, make clean, precise cuts. But that's just not what the Patriots offense thrives on. We need guys who can read the D and are shifty enough to make multiple adjustments. Adjustments that are made on the fly. It's almost as if being shorter and somewhat stockier is an advantage in this offense.

The closest thing NE has had to a finesse receiver (that worked out well) was Moss; and he beat you with pure physical size, speed, and vertical leap. It really wasn't what guys like Wayne make their living on. And if Moss compares to any broad group of receivers; it's more like what you'd see with guys like Brandon Marshall, Plax, and even Brandon Lloyd (to a much lesser degree).

So we didn't get Wayne? More like we dodged a bullet, imo. Would've been Ocho pt II.

I really don't think receivers with Wayne's general skill-set are a good fit for this offense. Wayne, like Stallworth, Galloway and Ocho (to varying degrees) are finesse receivers who thrive in rhythm and timing based offenses; Run fast, make clean, precise cuts. But that's just not what the Patriots offense thrives on. We need guys who can read the D and are shifty enough to make multiple adjustments. Adjustments that are made on the fly. It's almost as if being shorter and somewhat stockier is an advantage in this offense.

The closest thing NE has had to a finesse receiver (that worked out well) was Moss; and he beat you with pure physical size, speed, and vertical leap. It really wasn't what guys like Wayne make their living on. And if Moss compares to any broad group of receivers; it's more like what you'd see with guys like Brandon Marshall, Plax, and even Brandon Lloyd (to a much lesser degree).

So we didn't get Wayne? More like we dodged a bullet, imo. Would've been Ocho pt II.
Not sure if I would go that far...

Heh. Lol. I guess no one else can suck that bad. Too far indeed.

But my overall point still stands.

Chad Ochocinco ‏ @ochocinco
Watching "Usual Suspects" on HBO, be honest how many times did you have to watch the movie before you figured out who Keyser Söze was?

I definitely wouldn't go that far...

finesse receivers who thrive in rhythm and timing based offenses; Run fast, make clean, precise cuts. But that's just not what the Patriots offense thrives on. We need guys who can read the D and are shifty enough to make multiple adjustments. Adjustments that are made on the fly. .

The Colts ran option routes, the receivers change routes based on what they see and more often then not, Manning saw the same thing too.

The Colts ran option routes, the receivers change routes based on what they see and more often then not, Manning saw the same thing too.

No. Adjustments in the Colts system are virtually always pre-snap. Their whole offensive philosophy is to simply things as much as possible...and that's according to Tom Moore and Dungy.

Again, the beauty of that system is in it's simplicity; it's lack of adjustment.

That is really too bad. I badly wanted the Pats to get Reggie Wayne. Pure speculation, but here is my guess:

1. Length of contract. I was surprised the Colts gave him three years of somewhat legit guaranteed money. I'm guessing the Pats wouldn't want that for a 33-year old receiver. It makes more sense for the Colts, as Wayne is a franchise staple and already knows the system.

2. Sometimes we read too much into the complexities of these players when they make decisions. Wayne has lived in Indy for 12 years. Sometimes guys have tons of money and basically have it made, so unless a deal is just too good to pass up, why uproot your family and go to a hated rival?

That is really too bad. I badly wanted the Pats to get Reggie Wayne. Pure speculation, but here is my guess:

1. Length of contract. I was surprised the Colts gave him three years of somewhat legit guaranteed money. I'm guessing the Pats wouldn't want that for a 33-year old receiver. It makes more sense for the Colts, as Wayne is a franchise staple and already knows the system.

2. Sometimes we read too much into the complexities of these players when they make decisions. Wayne has lived in Indy for 12 years. Sometimes guys have tons of money and basically have it made, so unless a deal is just too good to pass up, why uproot your family and go to a hated rival?
The guy got overpaid in Indy. I think that's the end of the story. I wouldn't want Wayne on a 3 year deal here for as much money as the Colts gave him. He's good, but he's getting old.

Almost .......

Horseshoes and hand grenades! ;)

I would have been pretty lukewarm towards that signing. Wayne looked washed up last year. I know he didn't have good QB play but neither did Pierre Garcon, and Garcon manged to look good enough to hoodwink the stupid Redskins into giving him a nice contract.

Reggie Wayne is a loser. And I mean that in a very literal way, because he's going to lose a lot over those 3 years.

Reggie Wayne hinted in his online journal the Patriots were a finalist to sign with him....it's true, they were, according to a source

From Greg Bedard

You got it backwards. Ocho was used to making adjustments on the fly and not running precise routes. The Pats O is about receivers running a specific route and not freelancing.

You got it backwards. Ocho was used to making adjustments on the fly and not running precise routes. The Pats O is about receivers running a specific route and not freelancing.

Um...no. You have it exactly backwards.

The Patriot offense is based on a reading the defense + a reacting to positions/schemes based route tree.

Timing is of the upmost importance, as that goes without saying.

QB and WR need to be on the same page/wavelength, so trust and chemistry with Brady is also one of the most important factors.

Ochocinco has talent, but was used in a much different style of offense where he was asked to run more 'basic' and less 'option' routes. That seems to be the general consensus as to why he struggled to do well last yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes