PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sounding like a broken record: # i don't even know anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem w/these kind of threads is nobody here really has any idea which wr can come over here and pick up the system.
that said, there might be 2 or 3 guys on there, depending on their circumstance.
I'd imagine brian quick will hit the market, but current staff doesn't seem to have much faith in that guy.
maybe you'll see andre holmes or marvin jones available.

edit: but another problem, as I pointed out in above posts, is that even mediocre guys can get way overbid on the market

Yes, good post. My opinion would be that:

1) As you said, it's going to be a big gamble on whether or not they can even come in and pick up the system. Due to that issue, it's probably fairly hard to even begin to project who may be a decent fit, and who won't be. After all, we've seen some potential HOF type receivers come here and fail miserably. The same goes for draft picks, of course, and is likely the main reason why we see failed selections at that position, at least in the earlier rounds. I'd still like to see a higher round pick (rounds 1-3) every couple/few years.

2) While having an outside, fast/physical threat would certainly help to keep the defense honest, our offense is still predicated on the quick, short route timing game. Due to that fact, it's more difficult to justify or even consider any of the types of expensive WRs that many here seem to want. I just don't see a guy like Calvin Johnson coming here and proving to be worth say, 12m dollars a year. There just aren't enough balls to go around in terms of justifying that kind of salary, and it would take away from opportunities in Gronk, Edelman, etc--and those 2 guys should be our main focus due to both success in the specific system and contractual value. I think we'd be much better off with a player in the 3-5m dollar range that can do what LaFell did last season. If he'd somehow be able to improve on that, we'd be golden. I still think that a guy like Boldin would be a fine fit here, with the understanding that he'd be more of a possession receiver and likely a one-year rental due to age. We're missing that kind of physicality, and I think he could do much of what LaFell did last season, possibly even some things better.

For the most part belichick has done right by Brady for the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back