PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sorta OT: Matt Cassel has appendectomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassel has appendectomy, game status uncertain - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Now I don't understand something here. My brother had his taken out when he was in high school and he had to avoid strenuous activity for weeks... but Cassel could be playing pro football by this weekend? I mean, I know the surgery's probably less invasive today, but geez. :confused: :eek:

IIRC, the incisions each are no bigger than the length of a dime, and if you do them away from major blood vessels, there's very little risk, even in playing football, of major complications.

That said, I'd put 50-50 odds at best that he'll play on Sunday.

Cassel has appendectomy, game status uncertain - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Now I don't understand something here. My brother had his taken out when he was in high school and he had to avoid strenuous activity for weeks... but Cassel could be playing pro football by this weekend? I mean, I know the surgery's probably less invasive today, but geez. :confused: :eek:

Penn State's punter had an appendectomy before their 11th game. Didn't play the finale. Might not be ready for the bowl game. He's not even getting hit. You have to use your abs to kick. But, bad news for Matt. Hope he gets better before the Raider game at least. All kidding aside. I have been pulling for him.

For Cassel's sake, and the Chiefs, I hope he has a speedy recovery. I expect Brody Croyle to start this weekend.

A win by the Chiefs would be bad news for the Oakland pick. The Chiefs would be 3 up with 3 to play and the tiebreaker. They would have the division locked up and they play the Raiders in week 17.

If the Chargers win, the division is likely in question that final weekend and the Chiefs play before the Bolts. I'd like to see the Chargers sitting at home come playoff time, but I also would like the Raiders to lose the rest of their games.

So rest up Matty. The pick...er, the Chiefs...will be just fine without you.

I had an appendectomy 28 years ago. I was in the hospital for 5 days and out of work for seven weeks.

I think Ben had an apendectomy the same year as his face plant. Missed 2 weeks if I recall. Although Matt's a lot tougher and in better shape than the Rapistburger and he's a pocket passer so he could be back for next week, but no way he plays this week... And SD playing for their lives at home is gonna be loaded for bear this weekend so no way I'd risk losing him for longer. Do the best you can and hope it's enough. SD would have to win out to get to 10, KC can afford a loss (it would be a split) and still win out against the Rams on the road and Tenn and Oakland at home and take the division with 11. SD and Oakland can't get to 11. Not sure how the deep tie breakers lie but KC has a leg up in the division at 2-2 with 2 to go while SD is already 1-3 with 2 to go. Oakland is 4-0 in the division but they go to Jacksonville this week and still have Indy to contend with in two weeks and KC to finish with at Arrowhead so I don't think they can realistically get to 10...

I had my appendectomy couple of years ago. They used some high tech laproscopic instruments to make three real small incisions. Sent me home the next day. Barely felt any pain. Was feeling normal two days later, even though I didnt attempt any strenuous stuff (not being an athelete). Talk about medical expenses out of control - they charged my insurance 19,000 bucks!!.
Professional atheletes are a different breed altogether, though. I wouldnt think a small incision would be stop them from performing.

I had a laproscopic hernia repair a few years ago that was supposed to be much less invasive than traditional surgery, and while I only had 4 small incisions, I was absolutely laid up for at least a week, and couldn't work for at least 2. Standing was extremely painful for the first 48 hours. Granted, Matt Cassel is in much better shape than me, and I don't know if an appendectomy is the same, but I would say there is no way that he is playing this week, and maybe not the week after either.

I guess I might have to change my pick in the pool this weekend :mad:

I called my bro tonight, who is now a doctor himself, and he said yes, these days an appendectomy is no big deal as far as the doctor is concerned. (Though I'm sure to the patient it's a bit more worrisome.) In and out of the OR in 45 minutes. He even said he could probably do one himself in an emergency.

Anyway, he said the real danger with playing football afterwards isn't even from rupturing the sutures, but that the patient risks getting a hernia because the abdominal muscles are weakened from the procedure. (Or something like that, hey, I'm not the doctor, nor do I play one on TV.) If there were to be a rupture, it would probably mean the surgeon hadn't done a good job to begin with.

So yeah, I would doubt Matt will be out there this Sunday.

It's just funny how things change. When Dr. Bro had his out, I was only 9 or 10. It freaked me out because he was in the hospital for several days, maybe even a week. I suppose from that it was emblazoned on my memory that having your appendix out is a big freakin' deal, so over the years whenever I've heard of someone having it done I envisioned them being laid up for weeks. Now it's practically an outpatient thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down