PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sorry To Interupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was away, so I'm just getting into the discussion now. I did see the game on TV.

"C'mon guys," those are the kind of wins that make up for the games where you play great and lose on a fluke...the kind of wins that Championship teams get and need.

And, don't forget, the other team was pretty good.

I'm happily putting the game in the Left column and looking forward to smashing a demoralized Vikings team next week. :singing:

lol Money Play? San Diego was in field goal range at that point. It would have been a 45 yarder if not for a false start and even then, it was a foot away from being a tie game.nBrown makes that and anything can happen in OT. Im happy that we won but stop vomiting rainbows and pull your head out of your ass. What am I whining over? No excuses for me, I said it would be a tough game from the beginning but I wasn't expecting that many gifts. If you told me the Patriots would be +4 in the turnover battle and I wouldn't think that the Chargers came within a foot of sending the game to OT. All in all I just hope the team makes the adjustments so we don't give up 17 points in the fourth quarter to a team like Pittsburgh or the Jets and we put up more than 180yards of total offense. Whatever lets just move on to the vikings game next week because we can go back and forth all night.

Smart move

Quit while your behind.

Every team with a winning record has one or two stinkers that were won by luck or guile and not talent. Just take the W, as Ryan says, and run for the plane.

I was pretty relaxed during this game till the second half of the 4th.
I've gone through seasons with the Pats where I've spent whole games peeking out from behind the couch because I couldn't stand to watch. I've threatened to get a defibrillator because my heart was doing funny things while watching the team just barely win games.

This was nothing. They had it all the way.

Wow, amazing that people are so proud of a win over a team that continuously crapped the bed so badly it was borderline comical. And this "it was only close because of the onside kick??" Priceless. Without San Diego's monumentally boneheaded unforced errors they would have smacked us in the mouth like a punching bag. Was it our great D that caused their rookie receiver to forget he wasn't in college anymore and lay the ball on the ground so he could celebrate a catch? And yes, this would be the same play that probably turned the game around.

I'm ecstatic that we came out with a W and are 5-1, but get real people--this win was a nicely gift wrapped from San Diego.

I find this whole "how can you criticize the Patriots after all they have done for the fans this decade" to be a lame and overused argument that pops up like clockwork anytime someone actually has the audacity to form an original thought that doesn't involve ballwashing the patriots.

Wow

You should charge money for this type of analysis

How are you not working for ESPN?

This wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing win. But there were a lot of positives here, especially for a team loaded with young players for whom development is crucial. The kids won a lot of individual battles and they played tough and smart on the road against a good team. To me some of the key positives:

-- McCourty is taking the next step in his development. Last week on an identical bomb play to Heap he merely broke the ball up in a key situation. This time he turned and ran and showed great closing speed and hands to make the interception. He's getting close to being a weapon for us on defense -- quarterbacks are going to throw away from him.

-- They played great against the run and the linebackers and DEs were excellent setting the edge. Cunningham didn't show up as much in the pass rush (probably because he wasn't playing next to Wilfork this week) but they're all doing much better bouncing everything inside. 38 yards on 19 carries? This team in the Super Bowl years was built around a defense that didn't give up yards on the ground and made you execute through the air. Early in the season they looked historically bad against the pass and merely woeful against the run; now they're so-so against the pass and trending toward excellent against the run. Add the development of McCourty and Chung in there, and this is turning into a defense you really have to earn your points against, just like the old days.

-- Brandon Deaderick has twice shown pretty good speed shedding a block and beating or at least tying a quarterback to the LOS. He's going to be a useful player for them on 1st and 2nd down.

-- The tackling last year and this year in preseason was abysmal; in this game, with just a few exceptions (there was one Sproles catch-and-run in the 2nd half), they were terrific. There were two guys on either side of the ballcarrier on every checkdown. Mayo is looking like a young Zach Thomas -- he's making every tackle and guys aren't getting extra yards once he reaches them. SD had to covert a bunch of 3rd downs because the improved tackling turned would-be 2nd down conversions into 3rd and 1s and 3rd and 2s.

-- They got positive contributions from a lot of young players -- Gronkowski, Hernandez, Mesko, McCourty, Deaderick, Crable (who did a decent job collapsing the pocket on those 3-man rushes in the soft zones they were running), even Edelman. Even Sergio Brown. If this is last year, we give up that 3rd and 10 play to Gates.

-- Lastly, and this is no small thing, after some bad injuries in preseason, the team is staying pretty healthy, which I'm sure has something to do with a lot of these guys being young. Assuming Chung is okay, the tide is beginning to turn in our favor there, as team after team loses key players (look at Pittsburgh yesterday).

I'm starting to really like this team. They play hard and more importantly they play like a Belichick team -- few mistakes, sound tackling, not beating themselves, making their opponents earn it. We've all seen how this formula works. They're playing with the old Patriot attitude, with nobody bigger than the team, and playing like they know they need each other to win because no one part of the team is good enough to win it on its own. That's been missing for four years. They scored 23 points against a very good defense yesterday (with two terrific drives in the second half against a desperate team) and still lead the league in points per game. Plus, they have an improving defense. I don't see how anyone can be down on this team. They're finally fun to root for again.

I'm happy that we won but we left a lot of plays on the field that left the team open to be criticized.

There's nothing wrong with people discussing how we could have played better and what areas we struggled. People shouldn't get too sensitive with criticism. On the other hand, some posts make it seem like we lost.

Concerns? Do we have a good enough running game, given the age/injuries of Taylor?

I wonder if there won't be an attempt to hold off on playing Taylor as long as possible. The guy really has trouble staying on the field, and if the Pats can get along OK w/out him, might be nice to have his rested & healthy for the end of the season & playoffs. (Where I guess he'd just get hurt again, but you know.)

The defense was great ALL GAME. We need to remember how good the SD offense really is.

The defense wasn't great ALL GAME. They were very good for most of the game, but allowed SD to just march down the field on three straight 2nd half possessions.

2nd half possessions:
11 plays, 70 yds, FG good
11 plays, 67 yds, TD
9 plays, 60 yds, TD

That's 17 points scored in a span of 31 plays and 217 yards. SD's offense pretty much owned NE's defense in the 2nd half. We can declare that it was due to the prevent defense or whatever, but the fact is that they moved the ball pretty much at will in the 2nd half. NE's defense played great for one half and made a huge tackle on Gates on that last drive to force a FG attempt.

And that's good. I'm happy to give them credit for what they did well, but let's not exaggerate things. The D was *not* great "ALL GAME".

I'm happy that we won but we left a lot of plays on the field that left the team open to be criticized.

There's nothing wrong with people discussing how we could have played better and what areas we struggled. People shouldn't get too sensitive with criticism. On the other hand, some posts make it seem like we lost.

I agree with your post, including the the first sentence. They DID leave alot of plays on the field and it looked like a young team out there, which they are.

I think everybody should keep that fact in mind and an overall perspective there.

The kids are young.

Before the season wasn't EVERYBODY basically saying that we merely hope they can start to jell by Thanksgiving?

There's alot of posters out there with Attention Deficit Disorder who expect instant gratification.

They are waaaaayyyyyy ahead of the roadmap schedule in my book. Anyone who cannot see the improvement week by week in McCourty, Cunningham, Deaderick, Gronkowski, etc. is blind. Anyone who expects them to be solid veterans right now is delusional.

Their trajectory is up.

Last edited:
I just realized that there really hasn't been a patriots victory this year that we could just enjoy.

We beat the bengals: All people care to talk about is moss' postgame comments.

we beat the Bills: and people complain that the win wasn't sexy enough.

we beat the dolphins: Moss traded to vikings a day later, sending N.E. fans into a frenzy.

we beat the "elite" Ravens: some complain that the ravens lost the game and the pats didn't win it.

we beat the chargers: just look at this forum.

this team isn't going to be good or great forever, but right now they are young and showing upward mobility. Eventually Bill Belichick will be a commerative exhibit at the hall at patriots place and Tom will be spending his sundays in California with his wife and kids. Enjoy your wins while you have them. The same games you complain about because the wins we're "ugly" will be the same games you'll be praying for when your'e 1-5. I don't know about you but I'm going to enjoy this win and this team until the wheels fall off.

I don't care about style points.
This game was either a 1 in the W or the L column, no more, no less.

The most important aspect of a championship team is that it wins, whether pretty or ugly.

I totally agree. A win is a win is a win. So they got a little help from lady luck yesterday. So what? The Steelers got lucky yesterday too. The Jets got very lucky last week. Nobody will remember that come playoff time. And nobody will remember how this game was won come playoff time.

Wow, amazing that people are so proud of a win over a team that continuously crapped the bed so badly it was borderline comical. And this "it was only close because of the onside kick??" Priceless. Without San Diego's monumentally boneheaded unforced errors they would have smacked us in the mouth like a punching bag. Was it our great D that caused their rookie receiver to forget he wasn't in college anymore and lay the ball on the ground so he could celebrate a catch? And yes, this would be the same play that probably turned the game around.

I'm ecstatic that we came out with a W and are 5-1, but get real people--this win was a nicely gift wrapped from San Diego.

I find this whole "how can you criticize the Patriots after all they have done for the fans this decade" to be a lame and overused argument that pops up like clockwork anytime someone actually has the audacity to form an original thought that doesn't involve ballwashing the patriots.

You have absolutely no idea what would have happened without San Diego's unforced errors.

I agree with your post, including the the first sentence. They DID leave alot of plays on the field and it looked like a young team out there, which they are.

I think everybody should keep that fact in mind and an overall perspective there.

The kids are young.

Before the season wasn't EVERYBODY basically saying that we merely hope they can start to jell by Thanksgiving?

There's alot of posters out there with Attention Deficit Disorder who expect instant gratification.

They are waaaaayyyyyy ahead of the roadmap schedule in my book. Anyone who cannot see the improvement week by week in McCourty, Cunningham, Deaderick, Gronkowski, etc. is blind. Anyone who expects them to be solid veterans right now is delusional.

Their trajectory is up.

To me, that's the silver lining. Kids are young and are developing quicker than we thought. I can't even really fault our defensive players because if it was their decision, they would have stayed aggressive and not go into a 'prevent' defense with a quarter and a half to play.

I think another reason why we're seeing a good amount of 'negative' threads is because of how we finished the game. We were winning the game for 3 quarters and narrowly squeaked one out and the feeling afterwards was that we escaped with a victory. You compare this weeks game to last weeks against the Ravens where we were losing for the most part of the game and seemingly stole the game from them and finished on a high note.

I removed your last paragraph as I agree entirely with it.

concerning SD giftwrapping the game for us:

SD was 2-4 and had the best offense and defense (yardage-wise) in the NFL prior to our game.

This is an enigma that is hard to understand until you watch them play. They could arguably be the best team in the NFL, but their penchant for boneheaded, undisciplined plays is preventing them from having success.

It wasn't just this game, they have been doing it all year long

The defense played well except for at the end when SD was driving for TDs to try to stay in the game... the onside kick hurt as well.

The offense played mediocre in the first half and allowed too much pressure on QB, but we made half time adjustments and then played well in the 2nd half.

Overall, we avoided stupid mistakes and capitalized on the SD's mistakes.

A good win in my book.

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating anything.

This team isn't perfect, there will always be post-game somethings to gripe about but anybody who refuses to see and acknowledge the weekly improvements despite the perceived mistakes is just missing the point of a season and probably missing what's quickly becoming the "identity" of THIS team, the 2010 team.

Last year and maybe the year before that everyone was complaining that they had no fire, no desire; one game in particular featured Kevin Faulk as the only one who went out there and kicked some ***. Now people are complaining because a rookie celebrated his tackle.

THIS team may not be perfect but they've got heart, something we haven't seen in a long time quite frankly:mad: and it's awesome. They're also physical, aggressive, smart, and have the right attitude but mostly they want to win, whatever it takes. Maybe I'm in the minority but I have a lot of confidence in this team. I picked them at 13-3 awhile ago and was real close to saying 14-2 but didn't:p I still stand by 13-3 but 14-2 wouldn't shock me. They should be in PRIME shape by late November.

Our games are going to be won and lost in the trenches, that much is obvious, so buckle up Pats fans and enjoy the ride:rocker:

The mood on this board has been really negative all season long, you'd think the Pats were 1-5. I had to get off the game thread yesterday because it was annoying to read. I used to love having the game thread open, not anymore. I'm freaking happy to be 5-1, I'm sure there are other teams that would love to be 5-1 right now!

Well said! :popcorn:

This is the most spoiled fanbase in sports. Seriously, it's VERY annoying. Even Red Sox fans are more level-headed.

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating anything.

Yup, that ^

Beyond that....... Not a lot to be excited about after that win, but lets be honest..... last year....... we lose that game 95 times out of a 100. This year we didn't. That is progress. The mantra in the "good ole' days" of the SB win ear around here was that this team could not play very well and still win.

The last few years, that was not the case. If we played poorly, or even mediocre, we lost. We are moving away from that and that is, no matter what any of you naysayers think, a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes