Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Redskins | Patten not expected to be released
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:23:08 -0700

Gary Fitzgerald, of Redskins.com, reports Washington Redskins WR David Patten, contrary to reports, is not expected to be released by the team in June. "It's totally untrue," vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. "I'll tell you what, David Patten has looked good out there (in OTA's). He's making plays. He'll get his opportunities."

Well, I'm devastated. My only hope now is that Vinny Cerrato is known to be a lying, two faced prick.

d%#*!@t. 10 Characters.

The fact that the Redskins are going with ALL 4 of those high-priced receivers is EXACTLY why they'll never, ever, EVER win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digger44 said:
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Redskins | Patten not expected to be released
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:23:08 -0700

Gary Fitzgerald, of Redskins.com, reports Washington Redskins WR David Patten, contrary to reports, is not expected to be released by the team in June. "It's totally untrue," vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. "I'll tell you what, David Patten has looked good out there (in OTA's). He's making plays. He'll get his opportunities."
I do not believe that at all..we'll see what happens over time...but if it's NOT Patten. it may be someone better...although I will miss the "Patten will not make the team" threads...

Last edited:
Why do we need Patten? I like our WR corps as is: Branch #1, Jackson #2, Caldwell #3, Troy #4 and Childress #5. I think Bam will surprise some people, watch him in the preseason. A lower-echelon FA or rookie will probably be added to the mix, but I don't think we'll be adding any significant veteran talent to the group this season.

Dartanyan said:
Why do we need Patten? I like our WR corps as is: Branch #1, Jackson #2, Caldwell #3, Troy #4 and Childress #5. I think Bam will surprise some people, watch him in the preseason. A lower-echelon FA or rookie will probably be added to the mix, but I don't think we'll be adding any significant veteran talent to the group this season.

When is the last time you saw this team go through a complete season without an injury to a WR or 2. According to your logic we can go with 3 active WR. That is why we need an extra WR. On top of that, there is nothing wrong with a veteran upgrade.

its not that they cant use Patten..would be smarter to save some $ .. even though Snyder spends big on anyone :\

Digger44 said:
When is the last time you saw this team go through a complete season without an injury to a WR or 2. According to your logic we can go with 3 active WR. That is why we need an extra WR. On top of that, there is nothing wrong with a veteran upgrade.

I listed five WRs, how many would you expect on the active roster?

Dartanyan said:

There's nothing wrong with a little competition in training camp, nor insurance for training camp/pre-season injuries...

Bam showed a lot of potential and if he does so again in camp the team will want to keep him on the actie roster.

Branch and Jackson are locks for obvious reasons... if someone came into camp and showed they could outplay Caldwell or Troy someone could be bumped down the depth chart

Of course everyone has their opinion about these things

There's a strong group of Patsfans members who were adamant that our WR corps was good to go before the draft as it was, and were dead set against using a high pick on a WR

Last edited:
Dartanyan said:

Easy with the coolaid there you are bout to choke on it. Are you even serious??

Branch- Our best WR
Jackson- Uknown
Caldwell- Uknown
Troy- Much respect but he's at the end of his career.
Childress- Uknown

And trust me that's being nice. Yet somehow some of you are comfortable with this. Look I love this team and everything but some of you got to open your eyes.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
There's nothing wrong with a little competition in training camp, nor insurance for training camp/pre-season injuries...

Bam showed a lot of potential and if he does so again in camp the team will want to keep him on the actie roster.
Branch and Jackson are locks for obvious reasons... if someone came into camp and showed they could outplay Caldwell or Troy someone could be bumped down the depth chart

Of course everyone has their opinion about these things

There's a strong group of Patsfans members who were adamant that our WR corps was good to go before the draft as it was, and were dead set against using a high pick on a WR

BB is big on training in camp competition. He doesn't want any player to think their job is guaranteed. I also would not be surprised to see non-drafted WRs from ND, Florida or Fresno get a shot at camp! We still need a punt/ kick off return guy, imo.

Guys will still be cut to save cap space and/or roster spots. They simply did not have to be cut pre camp because of the cap boost. Why would any team cut a viable player before camp if they didn't have to financially? Unless they were causing a problem by their mere existance that would be stupidity. (Which says a lot about Bethel and Sullivan - although they were not cut but swapped.)

Patten may still be available as may others. There is also a trade market reviving in the NFL due to the new CBA changing the treatment of dead cap amortization following trades. Guys who could be cut for one reason or another (excess, unhappy) may be flying around in three ways or for day two picks come August. So for now they represent insurance and an asset to their existing teams and you will hear little but positives about them from smart HC's and GM's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don_the_patfan said:

Branch- Our best WR
Jackson- Uknown
Caldwell- Uknown
Childress- Uknown

And trust me that's being nice. Yet somehow some of you are comfortable with this. Look I love this team and everything but some of you got to open your eyes.

You don't need Kool-Aid to know a 32-year old Patten brings nothing to the table.

There will be other recievers available via cut or trade during the preseason. I'm not going to worry about it now. Bb and Scott will come up with some others.

Last edited:
We do not need the WIDE RECEIVER depth of years past
because the Patriots boast some fine receivers who, at the snap, are closer to the ball.
Faulk ... Dillon ... Pass, yes Pass ... Watson ... Graham ... Mills ... and Thomas.
Lotta good hands guys there!

flutie2phelan said:
We do not need the WIDE RECEIVER depth of years past
because the Patriots boast some fine receivers who, at the snap, are closer to the ball.
Faulk ... Dillon ... Pass, yes Pass ... Watson ... Graham ... Mills ... and Thomas.
Lotta good hands guys there!

So which one of them is gonna step up when Dieon goes down and Reche was already nursing a boo boo? We had the exact same guys on the field last year (when they were healthy) if you swap Mills for Fauria. So I guess that leaves it up to Thomas to backup the wideouts? BTW the "depth of the past" usually resulted in Brady throwing to a street FA at some point in the last few seasons. Most of us were hoping to avoid that going forward.

Dartanyan said:
I listed five WRs, how many would you expect on the active roster?
i expect 3-4 on the active roster with 2-3 TE. expect 2 WR to have injury issues like normal and you have issues. if branch goes down we are in trouble. nothing wrong with quality depth.

You forget to mention that Branch and Brown are prone to injuries.

Don_the_patfan said:

Branch- Our best WR
Jackson- Uknown
Caldwell- Uknown
Childress- Uknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes